GENESIS - The Last Domino? Tour

• Has anyone here seen the modeling for COVID from the Imperial College?

It's possible this tour won't happen in 2020.

It certainly can't be ruled out.

Meanwhile I've had Karine Polwart cancelled and Elbow/ Goldfrapp put back to October and March (see previous comment re ICL modelling!)

Abandon all reason

• Belated welcome ;)

I like your user name :)

• Welcome to this forum, great place to be.

Hopefully they will tour Europe, USA and Australia if the UK part goes well

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• I hope this tour will take place and that i could see Genesis on stage in real ! I am delighted to see which titles will be sung. Maybe it will be like in 2007 a retrospective of their entire career. It would be nice if they replayed other titles from the Phil period that we haven't heard in a long time (Deep in the Motherlode, Keep it Dark, Illegal Alien, Afterglow, Dance On A Volcano, Misunderstanding). And It would be fun if they perform a few songs from Calling All Stations (Shipwrecked, Congo, Alien Afternoon). With Phil vocals, some of 1997 songs would easily become masterpieces !

• I hope this tour will take place and that i could see Genesis on stage in real ! I am delighted to see which titles will be sung. Maybe it will be like in 2007 a retrospective of their entire career. It would be nice if they replayed other titles from the Phil period that we haven't heard in a long time (Deep in the Motherlode, Keep it Dark, Illegal Alien, Afterglow, Dance On A Volcano, Misunderstanding). And It would be fun if they perform a few songs from Calling All Stations (Shipwrecked, Congo, Alien Afternoon). With Phil vocals, some of 1997 songs would easily become masterpieces !

How many others think they should do some CAS songs? I mean why not?

I'm sure we all have a fantasy set list but they became pretty conservative about sets. It remains to be seen whether vocal and drumming issues lead to a different kind of set. Even so I think the first three on your list are beyond unlikely. I'd love to see them do KID but IA would be most unwelcome!

I'd be fine with RW guesting on one or two CAS but it's extremely unlikely and even less that Collins would do any.

Abandon all reason

• I'm sure we all have a fantasy set list but they became pretty conservative about sets. It remains to be seen whether vocal and drumming issues lead to a different kind of set. Even so I think the first three on your list are beyond unlikely. I'd love to see them do KID but IA would be most unwelcome!

I'd be fine with RW guesting on one or two CAS but it's extremely unlikely and even less that Collins would do any.

I agree about the conservative bit. They play the same set every night. I'd settle (actually be very happy) for mixing it up. Say 2/3 staples that they "have" to play (like turn it on again or no son of mine) and 1/3 rotating songs. Their catalog is *so* deep and vastly underutilized live they could fill that 1/3 of a set with. They've got deep cuts like counting out time, very old songs like white mountain and b sides. None of these things ever see the light of day apart from thirty seconds of a blasted medley.

God forbid - and this is a way radical suggestion - they could do a couple of fanclub shows (I think suede did these in the 90s and I'm sure tons of other bands). Smaller venue, dedicated fans... Not an 'i can't dance' walk in sight.

• I agree about the conservative bit. They play the same set every night. I'd settle (actually be very happy) for mixing it up. Say 2/3 staples that they "have" to play (like turn it on again or no son of mine) and 1/3 rotating songs. Their catalog is *so* deep and vastly underutilized live they could fill that 1/3 of a set with. They've got deep cuts like counting out time, very old songs like white mountain and b sides. None of these things ever see the light of day apart from thirty seconds of a blasted medley.

God forbid - and this is a way radical suggestion - they could do a couple of fanclub shows (I think suede did these in the 90s and I'm sure tons of other bands). Smaller venue, dedicated fans... Not an 'i can't dance' walk in sight.

I'm a dedicated fan and I love I Can't Dance.

You talk about "conservative" set lists as thought it's something new for Genesis. Go and check your history; you'll find that Genesis set lists have never varied that much over the years.

• I'm a dedicated fan and I love I Can't Dance.

You talk about "conservative" set lists as thought it's something new for Genesis. Go and check your history; you'll find that Genesis set lists have never varied that much over the years.

Yes. That's exactly what I just said. They don't vary their setlists.

How the hell did you post such an angry sounding response when you said the same thing I did???

The only beef I can identify in your post is that you like I can't dance. It's actually a fine tune. But in the live sets it takes ten minutes of that stupid walk back and forth the stage. Not for me.

• God forbid - and this is a way radical suggestion - they could do a couple of fanclub shows (I think suede did these in the 90s and I'm sure tons of other bands). Smaller venue, dedicated fans... Not an 'i can't dance' walk in sight

Why are you complaining about this? As I said, Genesis have never been that kind of band. They've been around for fifty years and you want them to be who? Suede?

As for I Can't Dance, it's just a bit of fun that they're having on stage, that's all. It was Roger Waters who bemoaned "that stupid walk" but quite what his idea of fun is, god only knows. David Gilmour estimated that Waters laughed about "once a year" when he was in The Floyd. It's probably less than that now!

Did my other post appear angry? Sorry about that.

• David Gilmour estimated that Waters laughed about "once a year" when he was in The Floyd. It's probably less than that now!

😂

He does have a Grumpy Old Man Of Rock image to maintain.

Mind you I did like a quote from him when an interviewer was getting too analytical: "Look, you're not going to get me to take any of this seriously. We were just 4 blokes who wanted to make music, and hopefully make some money and get shagged."

I was always neutral about the ICD walk. It was a well-liked video and it made sense for them to do it on stage. But I do kind of agree that good a song though it is, it creaked a bit being so elongated.

I did chuckle when at the end Collins pointed at Stuermer and Rutherford, saying in turn "He can't dance! He can't dance!" then pointed at Banks, saying "He can dance!"

Abandon all reason

• Why are you complaining about this? As I said, Genesis have never been that kind of band. They've been around for fifty years and you want them to be who? Suede?

As for I Can't Dance, it's just a bit of fun that they're having on stage, that's all. It was Roger Waters who bemoaned "that stupid walk" but quite what his idea of fun is, god only knows. David Gilmour estimated that Waters laughed about "once a year" when he was in The Floyd. It's probably less than that now!

Did my other post appear angry? Sorry about that.

My fanclub suggestion wasn't a complaint... It was a suggestion. I don't want them to be a different band. I'm spitballing on a fan forum about different ways a band can entertain it's fans. What relevance does their longevity have? They've always had a small group of hardcore fans and a huge group of much less familiar fans. It's very hard to please both groups in one big stadium or arena show. My suggestion was a way to target both.

They actually did something like that in 1980 if i recall correctly. A smaller venue tour where they played maybe one for the vine and other deeper cuts (I'm open to correction). So maybe they have and can be 'that kind of band'.

I didn't know Roger waters shared my view of the I can't dance routine. To reiterate, its an ok song. I'd just rather they played an extra song instead of extending it unjustifiably to 7-10 mins. Same with throwing it all away.

• They actually did something like that in 1980 if i recall correctly. A smaller venue tour where they played maybe one for the vine and other deeper cuts (I'm open to correction). So maybe they have and can be 'that kind of band'.

The songs they played in 1980 had more to do with the timing than dusting off a bunch of old tunes to keep the die-hards happy. One For The Vine had been in the set since 1977 along with Afterglow. Then you have the stuff from A Trick Of The Tail which they'd been playing for the last two or three tours. 1980 was to be the last outing for songs such as Ripples, Squonk and One For The Vine.

And the reason they played smaller venues on that tour was that they found on the previous tour that a lot of big venues had awful acoustics. They actually went back to Chicago on the 1978 tour to play the Uptown Theatre, simply because they were so unhappy with the sound when they'd played the stadium back in April.

• On that 1980 tour there was also a right old brouhaha, some say furore, when it was discovered that an entire gig - Birmingham? Liverpool? - had somehow been given completely over to fan club members. I'm not sure if that's true or if so how it would've happened but there was definitely a big old froth about it.

But yeah as I understand it, the 80 tour satisfied a hankering they had to return to the smaller venues of their earlier career, including a nostalgic Aylesbury Friars Club gig for which the ticket queue went twice around the entire globe. Or something.

The set list was approximately the same the whole tour with a few tweaks and seemed to make sense for that time. The most notable aspect of it was all the new stuff being done in one single block.

Abandon all reason

• On that 1980 tour there was also a right old brouhaha, some say furore, when it was discovered that an entire gig - Birmingham? Liverpool? - had somehow been given completely over to fan club members. I'm not sure if that's true or if so how it would've happened but there was definitely a big old froth about it.

But yeah as I understand it, the 80 tour satisfied a hankering they had to return to the smaller venues of their earlier career, including a nostalgic Aylesbury Friars Club gig for which the ticket queue went twice around the entire globe. Or something.

If only there was an archive somewhere, where you could read music papers and other bits from the era...

https://thegenesisarchive.co.u…s-1980-to-2020/duke-tour/

The article in question: Sounds 9th February 1980 - https://thegenesisarchive.co.u…dressed-as-a-ticket-tout/

Kind regards,

TGA

• Thanks for that article - just look at the ticket prices:huh:

“Without music, life would be a mistake”