[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• It was said to be originally leaked by Alan Hewitt so it is assumed to be pretty authentic. I don't know if Mark Bataitis would like to comment on that further as he may know more about it.

In respect of both fans, neither of them is connected to the band and wouldn't have access to that kind of information.

• Hello

I'm sorry if you misunderstood what I meant when I was talking about the songs that I would like to hear on the 2020 tour. Since I am Swiss and speak French, all the messages I send on this forum, I write them in French and translate them into English by google. So I'm probably making grammatical mistakes and overly literal translations that are confusing, excuse me.

What I meant to say is that since Phil Collins is the lead singer the priority will definitely be on songs he used to sing, it would be amazing if he sang a lot of songs from the 'Gabriel era that he is not used to singing (if there are songs before 1976 it will be I think in the Cage, Carpet Crawlers, extracts from musical box or supper's ready).

Then, I note that since 1983 genesis has taken the habit of singing at each concert all its most recent hits and keeping them each time for the next tour, and Land Of Confusion, Invisible Touch, Mama, Domino, Home By The Sea, Turn it On Again, We Can't Dance, No Son Of Mine and Throwing it All Away have become essentials of all concerts for almost 30 years (since their creation, these songs have appeared at each concert) , so I expect to hear them anyway in 2020, because these are the songs Phil is used to singing, which will make his job easier given his age and current health. that the public (except fans of the 70s only) appreciate and which have become almost cult, apparently according to Phil who seems very proud of these 80s titles.

I expect some surprises, older songs they will rework, they will probably be titles from the albums A Trick Of The Tail, Wind And Wuthering and And Then There Were Three, I am delighted to see which ones.

There are also moments expected from fans, who have become the hallmark of Phil era concerts, which we will certainly find at this all inclusive (Los Endos with the percussion duo, the medley In The Cage / Afterglow where Rutherford plays guitar with two necks, I Know What I Like with the performance of Phil on a tambourine, Turn It On Again as final with a medley (present in 1983, 1987, 1992, and probably this year (in 2007 it was the exception because Turn It On again was the title and common thread of the tour, in 2020 it is not the case).

• Sorry that I called you an idiot in that case. I didn't know that the post you quoted (now deleted) was actually yours.

• OK that clarifies things and like SCD above I didn't realise the earlier long numbered post in a quote box was you. Apologies for any negativity that may have come across. Believe me, you are doing infinitely better in a non-native language than I ever could!

I agree with some of what you say, eg the likely older songs and the "expected" hits. But while you list some stuff that was indeed a regular feature of past shows, some of it is unlikely to feature and in the case of PC's 'tarantella' now impossible. The TIOA medley was dropped by the time of WCD and won't reappear.

I feel that yes there'll be expected stuff but that also this will be a different sort of show with Nic C in the band and his dad's unavoidable limitations. I think those factors will contribute to what could be a markedly different kind of Genesis setlist. That's my main hope rather than hoping for specific songs - that we'll see, to some extent at least, a move away from their somewhat conservative previous approach.

Abandon all reason

• HI all. New to this forum although been on others in the past but seem to have dwindled so good to see more activity on this forum

As to a setlist..agree with lots of the comments already stated. Having seen the band live since 1982..the conservative approach has often slightly (only slightly) upset me and would love to see some rare album tracks thrown in

Was thinking about having seen U2 and Rush in recent years..and often seem to throw in tracks that have almost forgotton about. Would be great to see on this tour but may be unlikely..but still looking forward to

• Was thinking about having seen U2 and Rush in recent years..and often seem to throw in tracks that have almost forgotton about. Would be great to see on this tour but may be unlikely..but still looking forward to

Howdy Simon from another Simon. Hope you enjoy having a good roam around the site. It's had its quiet phases but is livelier, from even before the tour news.

Yeah I really liked Rush's approach especially in the later years of touring, there'd be genuine surprises in some sets, including interesting ones from late 70s/early 80s they either hadn't played before or not since the original tours.

U2 have had a tendency to do the latest album plus a selection of hit singles, but you're right, they've been pretty good at suddenly dusting off unexpected ones and switching them around between gigs.

Two of my other favourite bands are Radiohead and King Crimson who both change their sets each gig, usually with a consistent core of songs but often quite significantly switching numbers around and introducing a few surprises.

But as I said, I feel we may see a different sort of Genesis set on this tour... to some extent at least!

Abandon all reason

• Yes .some bands take different approaches to touring. Springsteen playing different albums on alternate evenings...can't quite see Genesis doing this!

The staging/lights play such a big part that difficult to deviate too much

As has been mentioned the health and voice of PC is going to play a part..hopefully his health is improving.. as can't see him letting rip on some numbers from a sitting position..but time will tell

• Yes I have seen many Springsteen shows over the years and one of things I love about him is the change of set lists from one night to another. He will keep a core of about 60% of the same songs but then play different songs each show. Often the audience will be holding posters up with a song they want him to sing and even if it is not on the play list he will often play it. You never know what you are going to get!!

Genesis however, once you have heard one show you know what each show will be. One reason why, when they do start the tour I will be avoiding all set lists as when I see them in Glasgow I want the the show to be a surprise

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• Yes I have seen many Springsteen shows over the years and one of things I love about him is the change of set lists from one night to another. He will keep a core of about 60% of the same songs but then play different songs each show. Often the audience will be holding posters up with a song they want him to sing and even if it is not on the play list he will often play it. You never know what you are going to get!!

Genesis however, once you have heard one show you know what each show will be. One reason why, when they do start the tour I will be avoiding all set lists as when I see them in Glasgow I want the the show to be a surprise

I can't stand Springsteen but all respect to him for the setlist approach you describe.

I'm enjoying this thread and hearing snippets about what's being rehearsed but like you, once the tour starts I'll studiously avoid all setlist discussions and listing so I can be surprised at my first gig which is London, but I too will be at Glasgow.

Abandon all reason

• I can't stand Springsteen but all respect to him for the setlist approach you describe.

One of my favourite artists - but that's the thing about music, we all have different tastes

I'm enjoying this thread and hearing snippets about what's being rehearsed but like you, once the tour starts I'll studiously avoid all setlist discussions and listing so I can be surprised at my first gig which is London, but I too will be at Glasgow.

Which Glasgow concert - 1st or 2nd?

There's some great footage on YouTube of him playing Chuck Berry's You Never Can Tell by request at a concert, with Bruce and Little Steven working out the best key to play it in. The subsequent performance always makes me smile.

• There's some great footage on YouTube of him playing Chuck Berry's You Never Can Tell by request at a concert, with Bruce and Little Steven working out the best key to play it in. The subsequent performance always makes me smile.

The beginning of that video is so, so funny with Little Steven shaking his head at Bruce. Always enjoy watching that video

• This is getting off topic but at the Springsteen Sydney show I attended someone held up a sign which said 'I'm a wife in Baltimore' and we got Hungry Heart. Not only that, he made us sing the entire first section.

It should be said the Rolling Stones do this too; when I saw them in Brisbane the audience request was Silver Train - which was brilliant as Mick Taylor guested (the song I had voted for was Respectable).

• Sounds great. Digby ?? What's that? I want to hear it whatever it is

• Two of my other favourite bands are Radiohead and King Crimson who both change their sets each gig, usually with a consistent core of songs but often quite significantly switching numbers around and introducing a few surprises.

This is what I wish Genesis would do most of all. Or would have done when they had the chance. Their individual shows were great (which I'm appreciating a lot now with the concerts on YouTube), it's the static nature of them from night to night across a tour that frustrates me. And over time even some sameness from tour to tour. I get it about the lights and video and all but surely they could have a non-preprogrammed section.

One of my favorite tours I saw was the smashing pumpkins twentieth anniversary. Each 'gig' was two concerts played on consecutive nights with totally separate setlists. It meant forty or fifty songs, a totally indulgent plunge into the band's catalog!

• This is what I wish Genesis would do most of all. Or would have done when they had the chance. Their individual shows were great (which I'm appreciating a lot now with the concerts on YouTube), it's the static nature of them from night to night across a tour that frustrates me. And over time even some sameness from tour to tour. I get it about the lights and video and all but surely they could have a non-preprogrammed section.

One of my favorite tours I saw was the smashing pumpkins twentieth anniversary. Each 'gig' was two concerts played on consecutive nights with totally separate setlists. It meant forty or fifty songs, a totally indulgent plunge into the band's catalog!

I think I remember REM saying they'd rehearse about 50 songs for a tour, for actually playing. Their sets were among the most fluid of any band I've seen, often with one gig bearing little or no resemblance to those either side.

But anyway yes when you went to see Genesis you knew you were seeing the same set as pretty much every other gig on that tour, that's how they were and so are many - perhaps most? - bands. I too get it re the lighting but would just say that Radiohead, a set-changing band, tend to have impressive light shows but I may just be missing or not understanding some technical detail of the logistics. eg, wouldn't more pre-programming enable a song to be moved around in the set and new ones to be brought in?

Where I do especially wish there'd been more change, if not between gigs, was between tours as you say, as you did sometimes see similarities.

Abandon all reason