[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• What's that? I want to hear it whatever it is

It's a mysterious pre-Trespass tune that was mentioned on the very first Genesis setlist. I want to hear it, too, but I fear they'd rather play Teedle-ay-ay-ay.

• The Musical Box. They have to do the Musical Box. Certain they will. I've been watching some old Genesis videos. Phil now looks just like PG did in his old man mask. In fact I thought it was him for a moment!!

So that's a Shoe In . !!^^

Edited 2 times, last by Mr.Farmer ().

• Which ones?

The officially released DVDs that they are showing for free a week at a time. I haven't watched them in years and it's nice to have something other than Netflix to watch for a couple of hours!

Have seen Radiohead a few times too and agree regarding the lighting. I don't believe everything has to be so scripted as to be unchangeable from night to night. I've said before Genesis has a very deep catalog and most of that potential necessarily goes untapped when the selection is restricted to two and a half hours or so for a whole tour. How nice it would be if they randomly threw in a Watcher of the skies or chamber of 32 doors (or whatever is not being played every night of the tour).

• maybe doing something like Rush did on last tour would be cool...start at the latest album and work backwards playing 1-2 songs from each album?

Would be a treat..now i have to start thinking about which tracks which work..in a 2 and half hour set!

• maybe doing something like Rush did on last tour would be cool...start at the latest album and work backwards playing 1-2 songs from each album?

Would be a treat..now i have to start thinking about which tracks which work..in a 2 and half hour set!

Oooh no. I don't like chronological set lists (or compilations) in either direction. Your suggestion makes for too rigid a set and increases the sense of it being carved into stone. Luckily it's extremely unlikely. Mix it up!

(Plus it'd mean ending with Digby and we have no idea if it's a suitable show-closer!)

Abandon all reason

• This is what I wish Genesis would do most of all. Or would have done when they had the chance. Their individual shows were great (which I'm appreciating a lot now with the concerts on YouTube), it's the static nature of them from night to night across a tour that frustrates me. And over time even some sameness from tour to tour. I get it about the lights and video and all but surely they could have a non-preprogrammed section.

One of my favorite tours I saw was the smashing pumpkins twentieth anniversary. Each 'gig' was two concerts played on consecutive nights with totally separate setlists. It meant forty or fifty songs, a totally indulgent plunge into the band's catalog!

Something different would be great though no no no absolutely not for different stuff on different nights. I would guarantee that whatever night I went i would wish to have gone to a different show.

• yes i would prefer to see the song's mixed....it was more a suggestion to cover of all eras of the band

Another cool idea I saw recently was The Cure's 40th anniversary tour. They did chronologically one song from each album going forward, then had two new songs, then one song from each album going backwards. Like a big onion.

A Genesis version made up as I type:

Looking for someone

Fountain of salmacis

Time table (gotta save time somewhere)

Firth of fifth

Lamb lies down on Broadway

Squonk

One for the vine

Deep in the motherlode

Behind the lines

Dodo

Mama

Land of confusion

Driving the last spike

New song 1

New song 2

No son of mine

Invisible touch

Home by the sea

Turn it on again

Abacab

Follow you follow me

Afterglow

Ripples

In the cage

I know what I like

Watcher of the skies

Musical box

The knife

BOOM!

Ten hours later the band and audience collapse out of the stadium in a state of exhaustion, dehydrated and numb.

• Another cool idea I saw recently was The Cure's 40th anniversary tour. They did chronologically one song from each album going forward, then had two new songs, then one song from each album going backwards. Like a big onion.

Is that true, The Cure actually did that?! It's a really terrible idea, gimmicky for the sake of it. What is this obsession bands have with doing gigs and compilations chronologically?

Thankfully no chance of Genesis doing that! I see like most you've topped and tailed their career, no FGTR or CAS. In general the idea of an all-nighters is interesting. There are all-night plays that end the following morning, after all; I wonder if any band have played all-night gigs?!

One aspect of the Cure's ridiculous fwd/rwd set that I would like to see is the new songs but again, not a butter-pat's chance in a blast furnace.

Abandon all reason

• You can actually get a very decent and satisfying setlist by having at least one song from every album with Phil that should appeal to every fan. I hope they give up a little bit of the reliance on SEBTP in their old songs. Do we really need to hear I Know What I Like AND Firth of Fifth AND The Cinema Show like they did in 2007? I'd rather hear The Musical Box or some stuff from The Lamb (except In the Cage). Speaking of 2007, I guess there were really only a couple of surprises. The Behind the Lines / Duke's End medley, and Ripples to me. What surprise songs do we reckon are even in contention?

I doubt they will do anything from Trespass, from NC The Musical Box or Fountain of Salmacis (wishful thinking but I reckon the latter song could go quite nicely, and really doesn't have many vocal difficulties), the whole or part of Supper's Ready or Watcher of the Skies...

The only stuff that I reckon is in contention from The Lamb is the title track, Carpet Crawl and In the Cage. It would be cool to have the link of Squonk, Dance on a Volcano and Los Endos (but again maybe this is just wishful thinking). From Wind I have seen people bring up Blood on the Rooftops and from Three Many Too Many as songs that were considered for 2007. From Duke maybe Behind the Lines and Duchess, doubt they will do Duke's Travels again. From Abacab I can't really see anything other than the title track, from the s/t the usual suspects. And if they play any track from IT except Anything She Does or the Brazilian (which is doubtful) it would hardly be a surprise. From WCD I only see them playing the hits like No Son of Mine or I Can't Dance.

This would be my dream setlist while trying to retain an aspect of realism:

1. Behind the Lines

2. Duchess

3. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway / The Musical Box [Closing]

4. Abacab

5. Land of Confusion

6. Squonk

7. The Carpet Crawlers

8. No Son of Mine

9. Follow You Follow Me

10. Domino

11. Ripples, Blood on the Rooftops or Many Too Many

12. Supper's Ready

13. Afterglow

14. Invisible Touch

15. Dance on a Volcano

16. Los Endos

17. Turn it on Again

18. I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)

One other thing, is there any news about Phil possibly being able to play some drums? I know he will probably have more time to practice. But if not, do you guys reckon they will cut long instrumental sections to save him the trouble of sitting around?

• I think that it is quite possible that they will play mainly pieces of which they are fond. I mean, that's why they choose a lot of parts of Duke the last time.

Personally, I hope they chose to play a ratio of the three eras:

40% trespass - TLLDOB

20% ATOFTT + W&W

40% ATTWT - WCD

And of course: a lot of hidden gems!

Edited once, last by GENFAN79 ().

• Apart from being improbably long especially if you mean the whole of SR that's not bad and strikes the sort of fantasy/realistic balance you aimed for.

Abandon all reason

• Apart from being improbably long especially if you mean the whole of SR that's not bad and strikes the sort of fantasy/realistic balance you aimed for.

Is it improbably long though? I wouldn't be much longer than their 2007 shows, by my calculation it would only take a bit over 2 and a half hours, so you might have to trim some songs out but I don't reckon many. I guess you also have to take into account the fact that they are all 13 years older! And yes, I left of a few which I'm sure they will play, for example "I Can't Dance" given that Mike heaps and lavishes an outpouring of praise upon that damned song every chance he gets! I actually really like my idea of them doing Fountain of Salmacis - it's their second best song, the vocals are manageable and it would be a great surprise for their fans.

• Is it improbably long though? I wouldn't be much longer than their 2007 shows, by my calculation it would only take a bit over 2 and a half hours, so you might have to trim some songs out but I don't reckon many. I guess you also have to take into account the fact that they are all 13 years older! And yes, I left of a few which I'm sure they will play, for example "I Can't Dance" given that Mike heaps and lavishes an outpouring of praise upon that damned song every chance he gets! I actually really like my idea of them doing Fountain of Salmacis - it's their second best song, the vocals are manageable and it would be a great surprise for their fans.

I agree it comes in around 150 mins including PC's banter. It hinges on your comment about their ages and endurance, plus Banks's previously stated dislike of doing the whole of SR. It could be feasible if they included an interval to give themselves a breather. I wouldn't rule out Apocalypse/Eggs or be surprised if a fair few from your list are included.

Abandon all reason