10th track?

• I was watching the Making of the Mama-album last night when I saw that Phil said: "Three songs down, seven to go". But only nine songs ended up the album. So what's the mystery 10th song??? Any guesses?

Edited once, last by GENFAN79 ().

• Thanks! Didn't know that. Interesting. After watching the making of the mama-album, I does make clear why they didn't end up having b-sides: there was some time-pressure and the proces of writing songs form the scratch was new to them. On the other hand, Abacab delivered a lot of b-sides...

• Interesting, I never knew that. Gives me the impetus to go back and check out this album. Remember enjoying it quite a lot a few years ago.

• Thanks! Didn't know that. Interesting. After watching the making of the mama-album, I does make clear why they didn't end up having b-sides: there was some time-pressure and the proces of writing songs form the scratch was new to them. On the other hand, Abacab delivered a lot of b-sides...

Yes - during the Duke/Abacab era, the band really hit a great songwriting vein. They just had a lot of songs. For the latter album, they must have at least briefly entertained the idea of having a double album at some point. They certainly had enough music.

Interesting, I never knew that. Gives me the impetus to go back and check out this album. Remember enjoying it quite a lot a few years ago.

It's one of my favorites of theirs (i.e., Genesis' eponymous 1983 release); as far as M&tM is concerned, their first album is my favorite of theirs.

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• It's one of my favorites of theirs (i.e., Genesis' eponymous 1983 release); as far as M&tM is concerned, their first album is my favorite of theirs.

yup, I'm a big fan of the self titled album. I find it very creative. Side one is a masterpiece and I'm very partial to the off-kilter side two, I love the two strange songs that they toyed with the idea of Tony and Mike singing.

I believe the first M&tM album was my favorite of theirs also. My memory is that it's more 'albumy' and less 'collectiony' than their other releases. But I haven't listened to them in a while. This is all getting me thinking that I really need to give smallcreep's day another listen too, I remember loving that and haven't heard it in years.

• I love the two strange songs that they toyed with the idea of Tony and Mike singing.

Is that really true? It always sounded like fan legend/speculation to me.

Based on that article, it sounds like only a small part of the final song actually reflects Tony & Phil's contributions. So it's not like anything close to the full "A Call To Arms" would have been a potential 10th track on GENESIS.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• I love the two strange songs that they toyed with the idea of Tony and Mike singing.

This is the first time I hear of this, what is the story behind that? The only instance I was aware of about a song with both of them singing lead vocals is some obscure lost song from the early beginnings that Tony reportedly told of as a Mike/Tony vocal duet which would sound like Simon & Garfunkel. And of course there's Tony's co-lead vocals in Shepherd and The Magic of Time.

• Is that really true? It always sounded like fan legend/speculation to me.

This is the first time I hear of this, what is the story behind that?

No, it's true. They bounced around the idea of Tony singing silver rainbow and Mike singing just a job to do. I read Tony's comments on the matter and that they decided in the end that Phil was the best singer so it didn't make sense. However, can I remember where I read that? No. Can I link to material supporting the claim? Also... No. I came across it many years ago in a book, or magazine. Or it might even have been a recorded interview as I can remember the comments in Tony's voice.

• And of course there's Tony's co-lead vocals in Shepherd and The Magic of Time.

Oh, so Tony's singing the harmony with Pete on TMOT? Hmm, I wouldn't have thought of that as being a co-lead. (I think there can be a fine line between "backing vocal" and "co-lead vocal"; think of "Am I Very Wrong?", "Dusk" or "Supernatural Anaesthetist", for example.)

No, it's true. They bounced around the idea of Tony singing silver rainbow and Mike singing just a job to do.

Hmm, I could almost imagine Tony pulling off "Silver Rainbow." Mike and "Just A Job To Do," on the other hand... :huh:

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• No, it's true. They bounced around the idea of Tony singing silver rainbow and Mike singing just a job to do. I read Tony's comments on the matter and that they decided in the end that Phil was the best singer so it didn't make sense. However, can I remember where I read that? No. Can I link to material supporting the claim? Also... No. I came across it many years ago in a book, or magazine. Or it might even have been a recorded interview as I can remember the comments in Tony's voice.

Well in the end I am happy that Phil sang the songs...

• agree. I think Tony is singing in the chorus and his voice is pretty prominent in the mix. It sounds a lot like a fugitive song.

Someone else here said he sings the "you won't know" line but it sounds like PC to me.

What do you mean by 'fugitive song'?

Abandon all reason

• I've always struggled to hear that is definitively Tony singing backing vocals on Silver Rainbow. On the one hand it does sound a bit like him but it sounds a lot more like Phil's falsetto voice to me.

As for Mike... I've always gotten a sort of Pete Townsend vibe from his vocals. The trick is I like his singing in smaller doses but in one song you hear pretty much everything Mike's voice is capable of. Having him sing Just A Job To Do would have been interesting, but at the same time Phil absolutely killed it on that one, and it's unfair to even try to compare what the two are capable of...

All in all I do wish Tony and Mike would have continued to sing more harmony vocals. One of the changes I lament that is rarely mentioned about post-'75 Genesis is the loss of the vocal interplay between Pete and Phil. I don't think Genesis could have been as good of a multi-lead singer band as Chicago or even Mike & The Mechanics but it certainly would have brought a different slant to things.