STEVE HACKETT: 20+ additional shows for North America in 2022

• Thanks for your review! I actually think that Steve is a MUCH better guitar player now (over the past 10-15 years) than he was when playing with Genesis. If you listen to old Genesis recordings (certainly in the Gabriel days), there were a number of flubs (try finding the Firth of Fifth solo played flawlessly on any show from the SEBTP tour - good luck). His tone now is incredible and his playing is super confident. I'd sort of expect this with 50+ years of playing but as you point out, not everyone ages so well. Happy that we can still all enjoy his playing. Thanks again.

Thank you for saying that. I was hedging my bets by saying he plays “as well” as he always has. I completely agree with you that he plays better now, i.e., recent past up to now. I’m currently reading his autobiography, and I think that he always had some confidence issues during the entire Gabriel-era (as well as equipment issues). He didn’t really become the master axe-wielder that we all love in concert until the four-man era (and, if you are really picky, you could even say not until the W&W tour).

In any case, yes, I love that he has kept - and even improved upon - his chops. I think the general excellence of his band must help in that regard. You would definitely feel some urgency to keep your end up in such a band. Fortunately, he does just that!

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• Official Post

Steve has added more shows in December, following the postponement of a couple of Canadian shows earlier this year:

https://www.genesis-news.com/c…and-ticket-info-s732.html

• Steve has added more shows in December, following the postponement of a couple of Canadian shows earlier this year:

https://www.genesis-news.com/c…and-ticket-info-s732.html

...and I now have my pre-sale ticket for the Keswick show! 8)

Too much Steve is never enough! ^^ Yes, I just saw him in April, but I'd gladly see him again every 8 or 9 months. Bring it on, Steve! :thumbup:

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• We saw the Seconds Out/SEBTP show last night. The avatar was taken by me; not bad I think!

It was excellent. Now that I know the songs much better from the previous show, it was much easier to get involved.

Nad Sylvan has improved out of sight. He is no longer the fey, awkward person he was. He fits right into the band. His voice has deepened and is more powerful - though still better on Gabriel's songs than Collins' (although given that Collins'songs barely featured that didn't matter). He caught my eye at the beginning of Squonk and winked at me after a few lines (could never put a smile on that face indeed - I was grinning from ear to ear). The other musicians were excellent, especially Rob Townsend who seemed to carry a lot of the load.

I didn't think Steve was all that committed. He was wearing a black velvet jacket which I expected him to take off at some point, but he didn't. His playing was uniformly excellent but it didn't blow me away particularly. But it was such a privilege to see him.

He barely sang - unlike the previous tour. The only hint of a solo song was Slogans which was incorporated into Los Endos. I think he undervalues his solo work to a huge extent.

I suppose I can now say I have seen Robbery, Assault & Battery & The Batttle of Epping Forest performed live, as opposed to all the Genesis songs I much prefer (i.e. the later songs).... I thought the jazzy rearrangement of I Know What I Like worked much better this time than previously.

I wish I could write in more depth but I can't really do that. But as I said, it was a great evening.

• So I finally bought my ticket to see Steve here in Montreal on November 29. I was a bit reluctant at first but everyone’s reviews here convinced me to go. Now I’m super excited and really looking forward to it. I don’t know which setlist they will play for this show. I’ll post some pics and a review after the show.

• Official Post

So I finally bought my ticket to see Steve here in Montreal on November 29. I was a bit reluctant at first but everyone’s reviews here convinced me to go. Now I’m super excited and really looking forward to it. I don’t know which setlist they will play for this show. I’ll post some pics and a review after the show.

The North American shows are rescheduled shows from the Seconds Out & More tour.

• Today I listened to Seconds Out for the first time in quite a while. Now I’m totally jacked up for Tuesday’s Steve Hackett concert. It’s great that he’s keeping all these wonderful classics alive.

• Official Post

Today I listened to Seconds Out for the first time in quite a while. Now I’m totally jacked up for Tuesday’s Steve Hackett concert. It’s great that he’s keeping all these wonderful classics alive.

enjoy it. Saw this show earlier this year in Dresden. The show nearly didn’t take place due to Covid restrictions, but we were lucky …

you can read my gig review here

https://www.genesis-news.com/c…live-gig-review-s838.html

• Official Post

Thank you Christian for that wonderful review. I’ll post my impressions and some pics after the show.

still impressed? ;)

Looking forward to you repot & photos!

• Sorry for the delay. It’s been a busy couple of days. The show was phenomenal. The solo set was really good. As I said before I’m not familiar with any of his solo work so I didn’t know what to expect. It definitely had a Genesis flavour to it. It was almost like having an opening act. The Seconds Out set really blew me away. Here are the songs that stood out for me. I really like Sqounk and haven’t heard it played live very often except as a part of Los Endos. They played it to perfection and it really set the tone for the show. Robbery Assault and Battery is another song that I only heard live once played by The Musical Box, so this was another rare treat. Steve’s guitar playing on this song was off the charts. The upbeat jazzy version of I Know What I Like was fantastic, complete with sax solo instead of tambourine. I loved it. Of course the highlight of the night was Suppers Ready. Another song rarely played live. I had only heard it live once by Genesis and a couple of times by The Musical Box. They played it to perfection. That song never gets old and it’s the fastest 23 minutes of my life. lol Overall I’m so glad that I got a ticket to this show. Even though I was sitting in the balcony the sound was great and the atmosphere was electric. The guys really played their hearts out and Steve was in top form. He can still play guitar with the best of them. If anyone has a chance to see them I highly recommend that you go. I’ll post some pics in my next posts. Cheers!

• Sorry for the delay. It’s been a busy couple of days. The show was phenomenal. The solo set was really good. As I said before I’m not familiar with any of his solo work so I didn’t know what to expect. It definitely had a Genesis flavour to it. It was almost like having an opening act. The Seconds Out set really blew me away. Here are the songs that stood out for me. I really like Sqounk and haven’t heard it played live very often except as a part of Los Endos. They played it to perfection and it really set the tone for the show. Robbery Assault and Battery is another song that I only heard live once played by The Musical Box, so this was another rare treat. Steve’s guitar playing on this song was off the charts. The upbeat jazzy version of I Know What I Like was fantastic, complete with sax solo instead of tambourine. I loved it. Of course the highlight of the night was Suppers Ready. Another song rarely played live. I had only heard it live once by Genesis and a couple of times by The Musical Box. They played it to perfection. That song never gets old and it’s the fastest 23 minutes of my life. lol Overall I’m so glad that I got a ticket to this show. Even though I was sitting in the balcony the sound was great and the atmosphere was electric. The guys really played their hearts out and Steve was in top form. He can still play guitar with the best of them. If anyone has a chance to see them I highly recommend that you go. I’ll post some pics in my next posts. Cheers!

Thanks for sharing your memories / impressions! 8)

... make tomorrow today!

• Official Post

Thanks The Lamb - for writing a few lines and sharing photos with us.

I have merged the posts with your photos, just for your information.

• TheLamb

If you want to discover Steve’s solo work, start with

Voyage of the acolyte

Please don’t touch

Spectral mornings

if you like more old style Prog gems

or try

Guitar noir

To watch the storms

Beyond the shrouded horizon

if you look for the more recent stuff.
    the last three albums were my eye openers !

some are wise ... and some otherwise

• Thanks Westside. I’ll certainly have some time during the holidays so I’ll be sure to follow your recommendations and give those songs a listen.

• Official Post

So this leg is also over now. Next are the Trading Boundaries shows.

For North America, no Foxtrot shows were announced so far.