8 December 2021 | Genesis live in COLUMBUS | reports **SPOILERS**

• Official Post

8 December 2021

GENESIS live in Columbus - Nationwide Arena: The Last Domino? Tour

Setlist:

Feel free to post photos and reports here or arrange meet-ups with other fans.

• Official Post

Has anyone attended the COLUMBUS show?

• Yes I was there! For me it was an incredibly memorable evening. I had a VIP package that included a nice dinner before the show. There was a trivia contest during dinner that I won! My prize was a set of drum sticks signed by the entire band!!

As for the show, the band sounded great. Crowd was lively at times and dull other times. The energy from the crowd was much stronger during the 2007 show in Columbus. We did get a reaction from Tony Banks however when someone yelled “We love you Tony”!!! Set list remained the same. A wonderful and memorable evening watching my musical heroes one last time!

Edited once, last by nes75 ().

• Yes, I was there last night in the packed house of the Nationwide Arena.

As always, I was captivated. It was such a wonder to see them live again--it feels like a fever dream.

I don't know what to say I'm still letting it all sink in.

The visuals were spellbinding, particularly the domino lights.

The crowd was great--I noticed those on the floor stood up the entire time.

As far as songs/setlist the highlights for me were:

• The acoustic set - I enjoyed the rearrangements
    • Fading Lights (wish it was the whole song but it was nice to get a new medley)
    • Duchess - oh my god this song is the one that struck me hard - it was a beautiful rendition and this truly makes me wish for a CD of the show

Only negative was the sound/acoustics - maybe my seat location was bad but the amps/speakers seem to have issues to my ears. It was like a firehouse constantly on full blast. There was no balance or dynamics - it was all screechy and echoey. Or I'm just getting old? I saw them in this same venue in 2007 and either I've rose-tinted memories or the sound was much better then.

The performance was very good and it all worked around Phil's voice--I didn't think Mama could work but he made it a brand-new level of menacing with that growly take. Nic was on fire. Mike jammed hard in every beat. Daryl brought so much depth and energy. Tony, his stoic self, was the maestro as always.

So, huh, no Abacab and nothing from Trick? I know, can't get it all in What was there was great especially Duchess :)

• First, great review of the show! :thumbup:

Second, I saw the second show in Philadelphia, and the one song, more than any other, that has stood out for me (and continues standing out for me) was/is "Duchess". The instrumental performance was great, Phil sang it really well, and the visuals (despite being abstract) were absolutely perfect for the song! I don't know who came up specifically with idea of the little dots morphing and shifting all over the screens for the entirety of the song, but it just worked brilliantly! It somehow perfectly complemented the music and lyrics.

The funny thing is that my iPhone on the home page picks out a sample of all the pictures I ever took as a "shot of interest" for a few hours - one photo that has been recurring recently is one of my favorite photos of the screen during "Duchess"! ^^ It's like it knows I want to see it!

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• Duchess getting a lot of love ...quite rightly. Has been one of my favs for a long time, and love the intro.

Looking forward to hearing hopefully in London...think i last heard it live was 1980!

• Here is my review.

After seeing both shows in Chicago - I had to see one more. I mulled Detroit, Cleveland, Columbus, and Philly. Having see the three shows in Philly in 07, I knew it was a great Genesis town. However, the logistics did not work out so Columbus it was.

Got a 12th row ticket and made the 8+ hour drive. I was exhausted, and the trip home the following day was also exhausting. To make matters worse, my own band had a show last night, so I'm in for a lot of rest this weekend.

The band was great - Phil was defiantly more upbeat than the Chicago shows. He was joking and much more engaged. Actually, he seemed to be more like the old Phil than in 07, which he really gave the impression that he didn't want to be there. Some quick snippets:

Mama - we got not one, but TWO evil laughs at the end. He's been him or miss on that, both Chicago shows he didn't do it, but he did it twice. It was fantastic.

Duchess - sounded really good live. I was not looking forward to this song as it needs a lot of vocal energy to make it work - and he did it quite well. The screen effects you have to be there to actually get it.

Double LED lights - I didn't even notice these light rows and descended during my first two shows. Once I saw them - I kept watching them and loved how they moved the light with their rotation.

Overall while the band was great, the crowd was the worst crowd I have ever seen in all my Genesis shows (11 of them). Applause was there but except for the first three rows, people were sitting down in the front - even for songs like Domino and the instrumentals. I was embarrassed for the band, but they got paid I guess. In retrospect, I should have seen the Philly shows.

• Been a lurker here since the tour started, been part of older Genesis message boards in the past. Decided to join to share my experience/videos/photos of the concert.

Me and my sister went to the Columbus show. I was originally going solo, bought the VIP fan package. It was nice, even though a couple of items (like the keychain and poster) you could buy at the merch stands. Lucked out later on and got my sister a ticket pretty close to where my seat was. We got to the venue about an hour before the doors opened. Was one of the very few there that early.

The concert itself was amazing. The band sounded great. Nic gives them new life and I feel they sound better than 2007. Phil sounded good, as everyone has said his voice gets stronger throughout the tour. Mike seems to be having the most fun out there. From what I gather from the PBS documentary Mike was the driving force in getting this reunion to happen.

Highlights

backing vocals with song like the ending of Turn it On Again. Really enhanced it and others like Afterglow. I kept thinking why Genesis haven’t had backing singers before.

The ah ha/growl during Mama. The aging of Phil’s voice makes it more creepy and really fits the song

Nic’s drumming in the beginning of Second Home by the Sea. I thought I would miss the duel drumming of Chester and Phil in parts like that, but Nic did a great job and I didn’t miss the duel drumming

Mike’s solo during Second Home by the Sea, all I can say is wow.

i loved Daryl’s solo during Firth of Fifth. Love the new spin he did in it for this tour.

Afterglow and Duchess. I’m so happy they didn’t switch back to Misunderstanding, Duchess was probably my favorite moment in the concert. I love the Duke album so much.

Follow You Follow Me works great in a more stripped down version. One of the better performances compared to other tours of it.

No Son of Mine was very powerful, especially towards the end, another example of the backing vocals adding another layer to the music.

Lowlights

Fortunately very few.

I was on the floor and people sat down a few times during the show. I sat down a couple times, but my legs was giving out on me so had to get off my feet a little bit.

cellphones. I tried to be aware of others around me when I took photos/video and kept my cellphone in front of my face to keep from blocking others views (I’m a tall bloke to begin with). However there was a lot in front of me who constantly kept sticking there phones up over there heads that blocked the view at times.

The crowd was hit and miss. During the Domino Principle, when Phil started with the left side of the crowd, he wasn’t pleased with their reaction the first time, he had them try again.

And several times I smelled weed. My sister was near the aisle and after the show she told me that security kept coming by the area and that’s when the smell went away. Guess each time security left, whoever was partaking lit up again.

All in all it was such a great experience, I never expected to see them live again after 2007.

• And several times I smelled weed

I'm sorry Genesis78 but this made me laugh. For anyone who's seen Genesis in the 1970s, you know that the entire arena was engulfed in pot. It's funny to see how things have changed with shows more generally since then. Now, you actually notice it because it's so rare. Back then, you either partook (cough, cough) or you needed a bloody oxygen mask lol.

• I'm sorry Genesis78 but this made me laugh. For anyone who's seen Genesis in the 1970s, you know that the entire arena was engulfed in pot. It's funny to see how things have changed with shows more generally since then. Now, you actually notice it because it's so rare. Back then, you either partook (cough, cough) or you needed a bloody oxygen mask lol.

I thought precisely the same thing. It was that way up to the early 80s at Genesis concerts. What a drag it is getting old :)

• I'm sorry Genesis78 but this made me laugh. For anyone who's seen Genesis in the 1970s, you know that the entire arena was engulfed in pot. It's funny to see how things have changed with shows more generally since then. Now, you actually notice it because it's so rare. Back then, you either partook (cough, cough) or you needed a bloody oxygen mask lol.

What’s really funny is we smelled more pot at a couple of hotel stops (we did a larger trip around the concert) we stayed at than the concert.

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.