30 years ago: GENESIS at Knebworth 1992

• The 1992 focus on the effects of their Jumbotrons looks quite "cheap" today, back the it was a "wow" when the picture of all three screens became one etc.

Other than that the light show wasn't as exciting as on previous tours. That changed in 2021 - their most recent stage show was their best for a long long time

Exactly. It's easy to critique with the benefit of hindsight but at the time this was a big change, and the full size version of that set in big open-air venue worked really well.

Credit to the band also for continuously innovating with their show. They could have done IT v2 with even more varilites but they took a different course.

• I also disagree about the Earls Court (and accompanying) dates later in the year. Just to unexpectedly see them up close, indoors, was wonderful and the Newport date in particular remains possibly my favourite gig ever, by anyone. No motion-going at all perceived by this audient.

I'm sorry but you're seeing what you want to see and not what I wrote. I was there at Knebworth and Earls Court, so I'm well versed in how they performed thank you very much. My point was not an "FU" to Genesis or fans, or to "diss' certain shows, it's was a simple point that at Knebworth you could tell they were really up for it and they performed with energy, whereas at Earls Court it was more lacklustre, like this was the end of a long tour and they were doing their duty. Look at the films of Knebworth and Earls Court, I don't see how you could fail to tell the difference. Both were very professional, but there was extra energy in one of them.

It's no different to a comparison of Wembley 87 with the recent Hannover leak The notes are in the right places on both, but if you compare the Domino performances Hannover wins hands down.

They're human beings, some days they perform(ed) better than others.

As for the sets (and indeed music as well) I admire innovation and the WCD set was a big leap in terms of the technical side. It might not be viewed as such now but computing power is in a whole different league these days and this makes a huge difference. The show they put on in 1992 was very ambitious and must have cost them a ton of money.

• I'm sorry but you're seeing what you want to see and not what I wrote. I was there at Knebworth and Earls Court, so I'm well versed in how they performed thank you very much. My point was not an "FU" to Genesis or fans, or to "diss' certain shows, it's was a simple point that at Knebworth you could tell they were really up for it and they performed with energy, whereas at Earls Court it was more lacklustre, like this was the end of a long tour and they were doing their duty. Look at the films of Knebworth and Earls Court, I don't see how you could fail to tell the difference. Both were very professional, but there was extra energy in one of them.

I have no intention of arguing with you. (There has been more than enough of that around these parts of late.) But your "thank you very much" is highly patronising and antagonistic when all I was doing was disagreeing with you. Equally, your suggestion I'm "only seeing what [I] want to see" in what you wrote says more about your own assumptions. I happen to think that the run of gigs at the end of the tour - especially given Collins' poor health - saw them at their peak. Yet such things are full of subjectivity and personal impression.

• The 1992 focus on the effects of their Jumbotrons looks quite "cheap" today, back the it was a "wow" when the picture of all three screens became one etc.

Other than that the light show wasn't as exciting as on previous tours. That changed in 2021 - their most recent stage show was their best for a long long time

I agree about the 2021 tour. Overall I thought it was their best stage show in some time, although I did miss the “shattered running man” effect on In the Cage from 2007. Still, in my opinion there were no “gasp-worthy” moments on the most recent tour as compared to some earlier tours. I’m thinking here of the light show during the second half of Supper’s Ready on the 82 tour and several songs on the 83-84 tour, including Dodo and Second Home. Overall I’m not a huge fan of the use of Jumbotrons on stage. The vari-lites and smoke machine era was the most impressive of the tours I attended.

• Official Post

I agree about the 2021 tour. Overall I thought it was their best stage show in some time, although I did miss the “shattered running man” effect on In the Cage from 2007. Still, in my opinion there were no “gasp-worthy” moments on the most recent tour as compared to some earlier tours. I’m thinking here of the light show during the second half of Supper’s Ready on the 82 tour and several songs on the 83-84 tour, including Dodo and Second Home. Overall I’m not a huge fan of the use of Jumbotrons on stage. The vari-lites and smoke machine era was the most impressive of the tours I attended.

thern you must be double my age :D

well, I saw them in 1992 for the first time, being 15 and I really was impressed by what they did. Two years later Pink Floyd staged a show that is till a standard today, so ....

• thern you must be double my age :D

well, I saw them in 1992 for the first time, being 15 and I really was impressed by what they did. Two years later Pink Floyd staged a show that is till a standard today, so ....

Ahh, the one which followed the "£17.50 firework display" that was the Momentary Lapse tour. I felt the visuals often detracted from the music on those shows, something of which I felt Genesis could never be accused (up to that point). The Division Bell tour worked far better indoors.

So cool, you got to see Genesis and Pink Floyd at that time!

Were you at one of the PF shows recorded at Earls Court?

• I have no intention of arguing with you. (There has been more than enough of that around these parts of late.) But your "thank you very much" is highly patronising and antagonistic when all I was doing was disagreeing with you. Equally, your suggestion I'm "only seeing what [I] want to see" in what you wrote says more about your own assumptions. I happen to think that the run of gigs at the end of the tour - especially given Collins' poor health - saw them at their peak. Yet such things are full of subjectivity and personal impression.

I think there might be crossed wires here. Let's move on.

• Let's not really argue about things that aren't worth it. :) Every Genesis tour was good - some we like less, some more. :) But really, every Genesis tour has been interesting, interesting and worth recalling. :)))))) We will get pearls from each of them. :)))))) The 1992 Knebworth concert is really nostalgic for many, because many grew up there - and some were personally there. Therefore, let's enjoy the possibility of memories and watching this performance whenever we want. Once upon a time this was not possible. :)

I’ll be 61 next month. What a drag it is getting old :D

• I saw a lot of the Genesis gigs on their 92 tour (23 in total). Which included the first two in TX and the last outdoor show at Knebworth and some of the indoor shows later in the year. The first two TX shows were good as its always exciting to see the band again after a long break (1987) and they did include Mama which was then dropped. But Phil had not found the rhythm of the tour yet and perhaps was not 100% well. The following week I was over in FL for the two shows there. He was struggling at the Miami show and then at the Tampa show he walked off stage after the first two songs. Two days later they played in DC which I went to and he was feeling much better. After the rough start to the tour he seemed to find his stride. A few weeks later I flew over to Europe and followed them around to a bunch of shows. Phil was performing way better at this point. And later I saw the two UK outdoor shows both of which I thought were brilliant. Later in the year I flew back to the UK and saw a bunch of the Earls court shows and the Manchester show. The later was probably the best of the shows I saw that year. IMHO!

• i think that the 92 Earls Court show is the one that i have the least memory off...maybe a point in my life when lots of other things going on. Didnt help that I went with an ex girlfriend, as we had split up, but she still wanted to go to the show!

2 other memories of the night...arriving late just as house lights went down and being taken to the only 4 empty seats in the middle of the 3rd row....great timing

also, going to a packed Indian restaurant in EC after the show and getting 50% taken off the bill due to the long wait for the food....funny how remember stuff

apart from the old section and Driving the last Spike, don't remember much else!