Genesis BBC Recordings Five Cd Box Set out soon!!!!!

• With the obvious exception of the Cage/Quiet Earth/Apocalypse medley of course......a real masterpiece

That was a great moment, even when the SR bit was removed in Europe. But I disagree that's the exception to Ben's assertion. Abacab was superb on that tour, That's All never sounded better, and I liked the one-off performances of The Brazilian and the whole TTT. Los Endos was incendiary at those gigs. The only low point for me was their persistence with the TIOA 60s medley.

Abandon all reason

• That was a great moment, even when the SR bit was removed in Europe. But I disagree that's the exception to Ben's assertion. Abacab was superb on that tour, That's All never sounded better, and I liked the one-off performances of The Brazilian and the whole TTT. Los Endos was incendiary at those gigs. The only low point for me was their persistence with the TIOA 60s medley.

yes definately some highlights as mentioned....to me the IT shows in London were much more about the band becoming one of the biggest shows around, and well deserved after years of hard work....although whenever I listen to the SR closing section played in the US (especially the LA forum version), can't help thinking that Europe was slightly short changed!

• I quite liked the IT setlist. As mentioned, Abacab was great - fast and furious. The ITC sequence was awesome - I saw it in Toronto and thus got the SR version. The drum duet was fabulous and Los Endos kicked ass. And the IT songs were well served, particularly the full TTT and The Brazilian.

• Just out of interest, exactly how many times was the Cage/Supper's Ready version played on that tour? Less than 10?

More - all of US and Aus/NZ?

EDIT - correction, it was all the US 1986 shows (unless anyone knows otherwise) and the NZ show; for the Australia shows the SR section was dropped and replaced by Afterglow. There it remained for the rest of 86 and 87 through the Aus tour, US 2nd leg and Europe.

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• yes NZ was the last time, i believe that Phil really struggled with the closing section of SR, and just about managed to finish vocally....2 nights later in Australia, it was replaced sadly

• According to setlist.fm, the Supper's Ready segment was performed 32 times in 1986. 30 were on the US/Canada portion of the tour and then there were 2 performances in New Zealand.

• More - all of US and Aus/NZ?

EDIT - correction, it was all the US 1986 shows (unless anyone knows otherwise) and the NZ show; for the Australia shows the SR section was dropped and replaced by Afterglow. There it remained for the rest of 86 and 87 through the Aus tour, US 2nd leg and Europe.

Yes, key term there being 1986 shows in the US. Unfortunately, they missed Washington, DC on the 1986 leg (despite playing just up the road in Philly and NYC). I had heard the King Biscuit Flower Hour radio concert of the LA show in the 1986 and was absolutely psyched to hear SR in DC when they finally played there in early 1987. As much as I love Afterglow, I was absolutely heartbroken when I heard the transition from ITQE to Afterglow instead of SR. Thank goodness I saw them in '82 when they played SR in its entirety.

• I quite liked the IT setlist. As mentioned, Abacab was great - fast and furious. The ITC sequence was awesome - I saw it in Toronto and thus got the SR version. The drum duet was fabulous and Los Endos kicked ass. And the IT songs were well served, particularly the full TTT and The Brazilian.

I just can't get into Abacab as played on the IT tour. For my taste it's played way too fast and the drums lack the big sound that featured at the shows I saw in '81, '82, and '83.

• I agree with you Trick Of The Wuthering. :) Please read this interesting text about sale Genesis archive. :)))))

https://www.billboard.com/busi…al-publishing-1235146224/

This is interesting, I think. Knowing nothing about the industry, I wonder if such deals include unreleased archive material, or just what has already been published/released. And that leads naturally to wondering if whoever buys it would be more interested than the current owners in mining the vaults for outsized deluxe editions and boxsets such as you see with other artists.

Edit: one other question, if someone buys the whole catalogue does the band retain rights to veto any potential releases, or in other words is their approval required.

• I was going to say, nobody over here in the U.S. calls rehearsals "trials." It does sound like someone is going to court! I haven't been this confused about something since I've heard Brits refer to vacations as a holiday. I'm thinking, no, Christmas is a holiday! :D

• Hahahaha. I'm not a philologist - Americans have slightly different varieties - I'm not an expert here. :) Anyway, we will certainly hear something new from this Genesis and Phil collection and I suspect that some rehearsals will either be seen or heard. In a 2004 fan interview, Phil wrote that ALL Genesis rehearsals were recorded up until 1992. Which means the recordings will be very very much. :)