Genesis Sell Publishing Rights

• Wonder what the split was between PC and TB song rights?...hopefully Tony has got over his frustration at Phil being more popular and is laughing at his replenished bank account 🤣

• Do you know anything more about this Concord Music company? Are they releasing a little more for those other singers who sold the collection? I am asking only for reliable and specific opinions, not any assumptions. :)

• Wonder what the split was between PC and TB song rights?...hopefully Tony has got over his frustration at Phil being more popular and is laughing at his replenished bank account 🤣

It was reported that Phils solo work was being shopped around for $200m dollars before this deal, according to BBC News.

So Concord got a real bargain!

• Paradoxically, I think solo Phil might be better than Genesis. Young people really hum In The Air Tonight a lot. :) This track was even in the TikTok version once. :) That's why I think that some concerts will be- solo Phil too. Otherwise, this Concord company WILL NOT REACH to young people.

• Exactly. It also makes me a little surprised. :) This transaction, however, was also probably prepared for a long time. Phil wanted to get rid of it - I suspect he didn't want to fight for this collection in his family. And ex-wifes will get nothing.

Edited once, last by pawciob1 ().

• Paradoxically, I think solo Phil might be better than Genesis. Young people really hum In The Air Tonight a lot. :) This track was even in the TikTok version once. :) That's why I think that some concerts will be- solo Phil too. Otherwise, this Concord company WILL NOT REACH to young people.

I think 'reaching the people ' is more likely to happen via tracks appearing in films, adverts and tv shows...just look at what happened to Kate Bush via Stranger Things!

• I think 'reaching the people ' is more likely to happen via tracks appearing in films, adverts and tv shows...just look at what happened to Kate Bush via Stranger Things!

I think that's bang on. It's more likely they'll be licensing In The Air Tonight for a Tiktok video or something than delving into old recorded shows. Hard to see them recouping £300m by putting out an official version of Cleveland 76.

It seems like it's a bitof a gold rush of companies buying up publishing catalogues when they can, and older artists deciding to cash them in whilst there's a market to do so. I'm not aware of any of the other big artists who sold their catalogues suddenly releasing an onslaught of archive stuff - Springsteen hasn't, don't know about Dylan? Neil Young I think has done a few archive releases but didn't he only sell 49% of his stake?

I have absolutely no idea how the record industry works but it seems to me that any hope that this deal will mean 'more stuff for us' is wishful thinking, unfortunately.

• What it may well mean is more of these being used in adverts. Still, that's a blessing if it means less of Lizzo's "Feeling Good As Hell" and Jess Glynne's "Hold My Hand". :)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• $300m is very cheap considering the body of work they got from 3 solo artists and a huge major band.

Bob Dylan and Bruce Springstone alone got $500 & $400m each.

When interest rates were rock bottom, the present value of the future cashflows from streaming, royalties, etc. would have been higher and the price of the catalogues more expensive = big pay days for Bob and Bruce; great timing.

Unfortunately, Genesis are selling just as interest rates are spiking upwards so they won't get as much as they would have done.

• Please excuse my ignorance...

What does: "Not encompassed in the acquisition are the participation of Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett in the early Genesis albums" mean? So, as far as Genesis stuff, does this mean just material from "And Then There Were Three" onward? Or does it mean all Genesis albums (presumably "Trespass" and onward) and no solo work form PG or SH?

• Please excuse my ignorance...

What does: "Not encompassed in the acquisition are the participation of Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett in the early Genesis albums" mean? So, as far as Genesis stuff, does this mean just material from "And Then There Were Three" onward? Or does it mean all Genesis albums (presumably "Trespass" and onward) and no solo work form PG or SH?

According to this - https://guitar.com/news/music-…cordings-for-300-million/ - which cites wall st journal, its just music they made as a trio. How reliable that info is, i couldn't say! I couldn't see where the WSJ article was that specific, myself.

• When interest rates were rock bottom, the present value of the future cashflows from streaming, royalties, etc. would have been higher and the price of the catalogues more expensive = big pay days for Bob and Bruce; great timing.

Unfortunately, Genesis are selling just as interest rates are spiking upwards so they won't get as much as they would have done.

£300million invested at old 1% rates is £3 million a year ! They would always get much more than that.

• £300million invested at old 1% rates is £3 million a year ! They would always get much more than that.

Of course, what they each do with their share of £300m is up to them - save it, spend it, invest it, give it to charity....

My point was that the capital values of all these music catalogues, when they are sold, are dictated by the level of interest rates and the anticipated future cashflows coming from the songs included.

If Genesis had sold a year ago, they would have got more than they are getting now.