• Sigh.....

This silly question reminds me of a psychometric test I sat many years ago, specifically one question: "Would you rather be (a) a vicar (b) a helicopter pilot (c) something inbetween"

By the way, Lennon was known to be quite fluid in his opinions of Beatles songs and their meanings.

I'm surprised to hear you describe my question as 'silly' especially as you started this thread with a bold assertion of how meaningful the 'Walrus' lyrics really were. I'll put it down to the fact that you simply felt flustered at being at odds with Lennon himself. However, if you won't accept what he says about it even though he wrote the lyrics, then nothing I can say will make a difference. I'd love you to keep digging on this one and actually try to explain the lyrics line-by-line, but I suspect you won't. It's far easier simply to assert a vague link with the context within which the song was written. Unfortunately the hole in the bucket of this argument is that it could apply to any other song of the day. Lulu's 'To Sir with love' was released at about the same time. I'd love to hear what deep meaning you ascribe to those sugary lines.

Over half a century later and we're still getting all manner of tosh read into that gibberish. How Lennon must be chuckling!

~ My talents may not be obvious but they are always...always...delicious! ~

• Dr. John: "People will cite John saying that Ringo isn't even the best drummer of The Beatles. I'm pretty sure he was saying that in jest as all of them have spoke about how much better the band became when Ringo joined them."

FeelItComing: "Lennon did not say that about Ringo. English comedian Jasper Carrott said it."

Perhaps I got the wrong story but I always understood the "isn't even the best drummer in the Beatles" quote (note the wording) this way: John was referring to the fact that Paul also drummed, as he did on the first 2 "white album" tracks during Ringo's temporary walkout.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• Dr. John: "People will cite John saying that Ringo isn't even the best drummer of The Beatles. I'm pretty sure he was saying that in jest as all of them have spoke about how much better the band became when Ringo joined them."

FeelItComing: "Lennon did not say that about Ringo. English comedian Jasper Carrott said it."

Perhaps I got the wrong story but I always understood the "isn't even the best drummer in the Beatles" quote (note the wording) this way: John was referring to the fact that Paul also drummed, as he did on the first 2 "white album" tracks during Ringo's temporary walkout.

It's true that Paul did some of the drumming. However the fact remains that Lennon never made the comment.

• I know that Semolina Pilchard refers to a policeman who was instrumental in some of the famous rock star drug busts of the time. He was also making fun of people mindlessly chanting Hare Krishna.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=138

• I know that Semolina Pilchard refers to a policeman who was instrumental in some of the famous rock star drug busts of the time. He was also making fun of people mindlessly chanting Hare Krishna.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=138

Yes, the origins of certain lines have been ascribed to various sources, but the song as a whole was deliberately written to be beyond analysis. The ‘Semolina Pilchard’ line has been linked with Sergeant Pilcher by so-called ‘Beatles experts’ though this is dubious as Lennon clearly sings "Semolina Pilchard," not Pilcher.

Here’s an interesting article that goes into it further.

http://mentalfloss.com/article…ng-strangest-beatles-song

• Somehow related I guess: I just watched Paul McCartney Carpool Karaoke with James Corden on YouTube and Yeah, I am a total wuss, I got bit emotional there. Shame on me!

I shall watch this program later. Believe this actual video of Paul McCartney can found on YouTube

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Yes, the origins of certain lines have been ascribed to various sources, but the song as a whole was deliberately written to be beyond analysis. The ‘Semolina Pilchard’ line has been linked with Sergeant Pilcher by so-called ‘Beatles experts’ though this is dubious as Lennon clearly sings "Semolina Pilchard," not Pilcher.

Here’s an interesting article that goes into it further.

http://mentalfloss.com/article…ng-strangest-beatles-song

Well yes, he sings 'pilchard' because it's more surreal & probably because he thought it wouldn't be advisable to use the guy's real name.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I have to say that I got a bit emotional too. Great stuff! 8):thumbup:

• Yes, I saw this too! Great stuff! Imagine being the current owner of Paul’s former house and having him knock on the door unannounced.

I'm sure there were some historical value in that house as it was well maintained( Drums & Piano). Probably a museum piece?... Looking at all those pictures, furniture and items like crockery & items stacked on the shelves, it did look dated..

This was probably Pauls own house. ^^

• I'm surprised to hear you describe my question as 'silly' especially as you started this thread with a bold assertion of how meaningful the 'Walrus' lyrics really were. I'll put it down to the fact that you simply felt flustered at being at odds with Lennon himself. However, if you won't accept what he says about it even though he wrote the lyrics, then nothing I can say will make a difference. I'd love you to keep digging on this one and actually try to explain the lyrics line-by-line, but I suspect you won't. It's far easier simply to assert a vague link with the context within which the song was written. Unfortunately the hole in the bucket of this argument is that it could apply to any other song of the day. Lulu's 'To Sir with love' was released at about the same time. I'd love to hear what deep meaning you ascribe to those sugary lines.

Over half a century later and we're still getting all manner of tosh read into that gibberish. How Lennon must be chuckling!

Bit of an overreaction there, Captain Melodrama.

I said the whole lyric wasn't a stream of complete gibberish, that there was some meaning in there; you've then exaggerated that into my saying the song was "deep political comment". My point about Lennon was that he was known to shift about in his opinions and explanations of songs. In a more general sense, a listener is allowed to place their own meanings on songs even when aware the writer meant something partly or wholly different; that's one of the pleasures of appreciating any kind of art or culture. If you prefer to take a more literal, linear view of such things, fair enough.

Abandon all reason

• Bit of an overreaction there, Captain Melodrama.

Now it’s my turn to sigh..... The first recourse of some people who feel they can’t counter an argument is to try and dismiss it with an insult. When this fails, they resort to more personal attacks. Both these steps you have now resorted to with a depressing predictability. ‘Captain Melodrama’, you shout out in what must be the most ironic start to a posting that I’ve come across. Are we really going to sink to name-calling on this forum? I know that the music may take us back to our schooldays but let’s leave the playground taunting behind, eh?

Edited once, last by Gabble Ratchet ().

• Now it’s my turn to sigh..... The first recourse of some people who feel they can’t counter an argument is to try and dismiss it with an insult. When this fails, they resort to more personal attacks. Both these steps you have now resorted to with a depressing predictability. ‘Captain Melodrama’, you shout out in what must be the most ironic start to a posting that I’ve come across. Are we really going to sink to name-calling on this forum? I know that the music may take us back to our schooldays but let’s leave the playground taunting behind, eh?

I didn't think I was being particularly insulting; your reactions are way too overheated.

Abandon all reason

• I didn't think I was being particularly insulting; your reactions are way too overheated.

It’s not the degree of the insult that I’m objecting to, it’s the fact that you feel you have to stoop to making insults at all. You demean only yourself by resorting to these playground taunts.

• A couple of favourite moments which spring to mind from Beatles songs:

Lennon's 'aaah' in A Hard Day's Night

The middle eight/bridge of No Reply ('if I were you...')

The guitar solo in Taxman which I think is by McCartney although it's a Harrison song

The Dennis O'Dell stuff in You Know My Name (Look Up The Number). It's so silly.