First record or CD you ever owned

• Here's a question I don't think we ever had before (i.e., on the old forum).

What was the first record (or CD, for you younger folks!) you ever owned, and how old were you?

Mine was the 2-LP compilation THIS IS THE MOODY BLUES, which I got when I was 13. I don't remember what ultimately happened to it (although I do know that I didn't know how to take care of records back then), but many years later I have all of the albums (on CD of course) from the period it represents. In retrospect, there are a few cases where I feel they included or omitted songs that didn't deserve it. I think ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAMS was over-represented, and it's too bad EVERY GOOD BOY DESERVES FAVOUR is barely represented at all (even non-album tracks get better representation, in terms of actual song lengths!).

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• I was probably 5 or 6 years old when I got my first 45 rpm which was The Beatles' "Slow Down" with B side "Matchbox."

The first LP I remember would be a K-Tel record with various artists; ie, Simon and Garfunkel with "Feelin' Groovy", The Byrds with "Turn, Turn, Turn", Gary Lewis and the Playboy's with "This Diamond Ring," and more. Great album.

But the first 'official' purchase of my own was Abbey Road in 1969 after a teacher brought it to school and played it for the classroom, saying her son had just purchased it and she thought she would share it with us. That moment was life changing for me. I was 11 years old.

• The Doors - Weird Scenes Inside The Goldmine

Supertramp - Crime Of The Century

Got them both together with my first turntable.

First we learned to walk on water.

Then we tried something harder.

- Red Seven -

• Can't remember my first single, first album (on cassette) was Sweet's Biggest Hits. First CD was on May 1st, 1985, Robin Of Sherwood by Clannad. This wasn't a free choice: I'd just bought my first CD player, Philips CD 104 (Still got it, still works!) and it came with 10 x £2 discount vouchers off CD's in the same shop, but the only disc they had that I in any way liked was Clannad's. I wanted something to listen to on it!

Next day I went to another shop and Bought SEBTP!

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• I was 13 and bought two albums at once - both were respectively the latest releases of these bands at that time:

Rush - A Farewell To Kings

Styx - The Grand Illusion

The first CD I bought (I didn't even have a player to play it on then) was Van Morrison - Common One

I seem to recall I was having difficulties finding it on LP or cassette but then there it was on CD so I grabbed it.

• The first cd I bought was Bruce Springsteen - The River. Been trying to rack by brains as to the first lp/cassette I bought and I just can't remember

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• The first cd I bought was Bruce Springsteen - The River. Been trying to rack by brains as to the first lp/cassette I bought and I just can't remember

before I got a turntable I used to record songs from the radio on cassette. My first cassette included:

Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run

Herman`s Hermits - No milk today

The Beatles - Come Together

- Red Seven -

• Being the youngest child in my family I was given a lot of records my parents and older brother and sister didn't need any more, meaning a bunch of kids stories and fairy tales records and stuff (Disney's version of The Jungle Book, a couple Pumuckl episodes, etc.) as well as a random collection of music - marching bands, some classical stuff (Also sprach Zarathustra on a 7-inch, the Nutcracker Suite on a 10-inch...) and even some pop music (Alan Parsons Project's I Robot). I also had a bunch of cassettes with kids stories stuff.

The first record I bought for myself I am not exactly sure which one came first, it has to be either way Supertramp's Crisis What Crisis or Supertramp's Even In The Quietest Moments or Pink Floyd's Animals.

The first CD I owned I was given as a birthday present, it was Donald Fagen's Kamakiriad; the first CD I bought for myself was Robert Miles' Dreamland. And I even remember the first CD maxi singles I bought: Chicane's Offshore and Sunstroke.

• I also was the youngest child in the family. When I was a kid, I used to sit in my older brother`s room listening to his music. That is why I do know albums like Tommy by The Who since the time they were released. And I was born in 1963.

- Red Seven -

• I had some K-Tel records. The first one was called 20 Solid Hits & included such gems as Band Of Gold by Freda Payne, Armstrong by Reg Lindsay (Australian country singer), Julie Do Ya Love Me by Bobby Sherman (which I hated because Julie is my name), Mr Bojangles by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band & Lady Dárbanville by Cat Stevens (by far the best track). In fact, I've just looked it up and you can still buy it on Ebay! I would post the image but with the current probems there is no point. However looking it up I found a site that includes some of my much loved K-Tel compilations when I was a teenager with titles like Fantastic & Unreal. Those were the days.

https://majesticcompilations.com/k-tel-majestic/ta-series/

But I always say Elton John's Greatest Hits was the first 'real' album I ever bought at the beginning of 1975. This does ignore the fact that I had Simon & Garfunke's Greatest Hits & a couple of Donny Osmond albums (!!) on cassette.

• I notice that there's a fairly high proportion of compilations named, whether "best of" albums (including my own entry) or various artists' hits. I guess that makes sense in a way.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• I would say that most of my musical influences came from AM radio in my youth. Today, classic rock radio stations are repetitive and don't represent the massive catalogue of great music that spanned the last 50 years. It's a shame.