The Rolling Stones

• Official Post

Any Stones fans here?

Never really been a fan myself, but I do have a couple of albums (and I like Voodoo Lounge a lot).

Their new single is out and the new album Hackney Diamonds will follow in October.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I am a long-time fan but not a devoted follower.

I think their output from 1968 (Beggars Banquet) to 1978 (Some Girls) was consistently solid. I would almost say flawless. I thoroughly enjoy every Stones album released during that stretch.

Prior to ’68, I think they released some of the most memorable singles in rock music history, but I am far less enthralled by their early albums. Very much hit and miss for me, sort of the way I feel about very early Who.

I’ve heard a lot of fans say Tattoo You (1980) was the last album that was fairly decent in its entirety and I’m inclined to agree.

Since then, I’ve enjoyed the odd song off later albums, and I actually didn’t mind Blue & Lonesome (2016), which was comprised entirely of old blues standards. But to be honest, I find most of the post-TY albums bland and part of that rests in the fact when I listen to Ron Wood, I immediately find myself missing the fluid playing of Mick Taylor or the deft slide guitar of Brian Jones, both of whom I thought were far more interesting and creative lead guitarists.

• Not a fan really, for me they lost a lot when Brian Jones went. He may not have written, but he was a huge part of the arrangement, and they miss that. Still, gotta hand it to them...........

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• As with many here, I've never been a fan as such but admire and respect them.

I sometimes thought I'd like to see them just once, but it would only be if I got the chance to see one of their small theatre shows they used to throw in (I'm not sure if they still do that). I got the chance in 2003 on what they called their 'underpants' tour as they did small, medium and large venues. The gig at the now sadly departed London Astoria (2000 capacity) had long since sold out but I'd occasionally check back and one morning there it suddenly was on sale. It turned out to be literally one ticket.

It was a hell of a show, surging with energy and it was great to watch Jagger up so close. It made me realise how so many performers had got their rock'n'roll stage moves from him. Watts was a joy to watch too, cool and assured and looking like he was faintly amused by the whole thing. They came on stage to an old-fashioned "LADIES AND GENTLEMEN..." PA announcement and launched into Jumping Jack Flash. I thought "Th... that's this song... and it's them playing it!" - if that makes any sense. It was a really exciting opening and the show didn't let up. It was a big tick in a box for me.

I'm interested to hear the new album. It's great that a band at this point in their career, with nothing to prove, still feel that urge to get together and record some new stuff.

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

This is the second track from the new album - with Lady Gaga

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The album is really good. Of particular note is Whole Wide World in which Jagger reminisces about the old days using his proper London accent. 'The dreary streets of London, they've never promised much'.

• I count myself as a fan, though not a massive fan like most here .I have their b best ofs and a few others , though was quiet familiar with their 70s output. I went to see them when they played down the road from me at Coventry City's football ground, must've been 2018 on the no filter tour. I was astonished as to how good they were. We got reasonably close, I think they're one of those you need to be close to as they're all such personalities. The atmosphere was great

• I am a big fan of the era of Beggar's Banquet through to Exile. Beyond that, I like many of the earlier singles and a smattering of tracks from the rest of the 70s and early 80s. After that, I admire that they can still have craft and energy, but nothing has made me want to buy more recent material. What I have heard from this album so far is similar: sounds pretty good, but nothing that sticks with me enough to pursue further.

• I recommend this which they did during lockdown.

External Content www.youtube.com