TotW 12/04/2023 - 12/10/2023: ANTHONY PHILLIPS - Now What (Are They Doing To My Little Friends?)

• Official Post

Your rating for "Now What (Are They Doing To My Little Friends?)" by ANTHONY PHILLIPS 14

1. 15 points - outstanding (0) 0%
    2. 14 points - very good (2) 14%
    3. 13 points - very good - (1) 7%
    4. 12 points - good + (4) 29%
    5. 11 points - good (3) 21%
    6. 10 points - good - (4) 29%
    7. 09 points - satisfactory + (0) 0%
    8. 08 points - satisfactory (0) 0%
    9. 07 points - satisfactory - (0) 0%
    10. 06 points - sufficient + (0) 0%
    11. 05 points - sufficient (0) 0%
    12. 04 points - sufficient - (0) 0%
    13. 03 points - poor + (0) 0%
    14. 02 points - poor (0) 0%
    15. 01 points - poor - (0) 0%
    16. 00 points - abysmal (0) 0%

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread. If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

ANTHONY PHILLIPS - Now What (Are They Doing To My Little Friends?)
    Year: 1978
    Album: Wise After The Event
    Working title: ?
    Credits: Phillips
    Lyrics: Yes
    Length: 8:26
    Musicians: Anthony Phillips
    Played live: --
    Cover versions: ?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Notes: Anthony Phillips had long since achieved cult status among Genesis fans and also in the prog scene in the late 70s. His debut is still considered one of the prog "landmarks" today. Wise After The Event was released in 1978 and had one or two rather poppy notes (or let's say: song-orientated). This song is our Track of the Week as an example of this, which somehow even reminds us of Queen from that time...
  • A great track off a great album. I’ve got most of his considerable output and am filling in gaps with the help of the re-releases - which are excellent (are you watching Genesis?)

His voice is an acquired taste to be sure but it suits this lament and the instruments perfectly match the mood and theme.

• It’s a nice tune. Touches of ELO about it, to me anyway. If an electric violin made an appearance it would almost pass for something of theirs from roughly that era. Not a criticism, far from it as I think ELO produced some great material.

I like it.

• Have never heard it before and quite enjoyed it. A bit long and overwrought, but has a strong dollop of the wind and wuthering romanticism I like in moderate doses. Worth 11 from me.

• A great track off a great album....

His voice is an acquired taste to be sure but it suits this lament and the instruments perfectly match the mood and theme.

I actually think Ant has the best range and most emotive singing voice of the four non-lead-vocalists who have sung on their solo albums (TB, SH, AP and MR).

And I agree, WATE is a great album. Over the many years, I've flip/flopped between Wise and Geese in citing my favourite of Ant's output.

• I actually think Ant has the best range and most emotive singing voice of the four non-lead-vocalists who have sung on their solo albums (TB, SH, AP and MR).

And I agree, WATE is a great album. Over the many years, I've flip/flopped between Wise and Geese in citing my favourite of Ant's output.

Would definitely agree with what you say about AP's voice. Not amazing but a notch above TB's and SH's serviceable but unspectacular ranges. MR's? Well...

• Official Post

10 from me. I do have my problems with some of his solo stuff, but I have always liked his first three albums and this track is one of the good ones.

• WATE is a problematic album for me. There's some stunning songwriting, but most tracks are brought down by weak vocals (with Ant's "creaking" effect being especially annoying), and some pieces just leave me scratching my head.

That said, "Now What" is one of the better tracks on the album, and a strong, effective closer. It's the first song I ever heard described as "widescreen," and it fits well. (The early demo version from ARCHIVE COLLECTION #1, "Hunt Song," which isn't nearly as good, is interesting for having some different lyrics.)

Vocally, Ant sounds a lot better to me on INVISIBLE MEN.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.