TotW 12/18/2023 - 12/31/2023: GENESIS - Blood On The Rooftops

• Nonetheless, I thoroughly enjoyed Steve's performance of this song with Gary on lead vocals. Gary's voice, I thought, had a John Wetton-ish quality to it, which I was totally fine with.

I thought it was quite anonymous actually. He carried the tune and hit the notes, professional in a way but no more than that IMO.

• The context of the one mention of it doesn't make it a Christmas song.

But it has that feel about it of staying inside to watch the Queen and blockbuster movies, which happens in the UK at Christmas, doesn't it? I agree that doesn't make it a Christmas song per se.

• But it has that feel about it of staying inside to watch the Queen and blockbuster movies, which happens in the UK at Christmas, doesn't it? I agree that doesn't make it a Christmas song per se.

I think the song uses a number of images to convey the life of this couple centred on their tv viewing, echoing probably the lives of many couples staying inside most evenings in front of the box and commenting on what they see. For example it also makes references to cricket (which isn't played at Christmas and is more an allusion to summer) - 'they're out for 23, the rain at Lords stopped play' - which doesn't make it a cricket song any more than a Christmas one. All the imagery, including the Christmas and cricket, is drawn from their tv viewing to paint a picture of their life.

Both this and the other Hackett Collins song Absent Friends as mentioned earlier are lovely pencil-sketch social observation almost with the feel of miniature Alan Bennett plays

Abandon all reason

• This chat has me trying to imagine Blood On The Rooftops sitting in between Wham's Last Christmas and Mariah Carey's All I Want For Christmas on a playlist, with the extended family all hanging around eating crudites and sipping Bailey's, wondering to themselves "wtf is wrong with this guy?"

• The votings for this track of the week are remarkable. 79% voted for "outstanding", the one person who gave only 13 points ("very good -") has the honour of being the miserable jerk who actively dislikes the song.

• The votings for this track of the week are remarkable. 79% voted for "outstanding", the one person who gave only 13 points ("very good -") has the honour of being the miserable jerk who actively dislikes the song.

Just voted and decided to go with the flow to avoid conflicts ;)

Just an outstanding track!

• This is one of those songs that captures an atmosphere that no other band could. It is dreamy, misty, melancholic, wry, resigned. Steve's nylon string guitar sets the tone with dignity. Tony's mellotron paints landscapes. Mike has a subtle and mobile bassline that lifts the song like breathing. And Phil offers a tender vocal that soars when it needs to.

• Official Post

The context of the one mention of it doesn't make it a Christmas song.

... that is why I wrote "kind of" their man song. It wasn't a really serious comment.

true

but to me it always had a little Christmas flair. 15/15

Yes, you could say that, nevertheless. W&W has always been a "winter" album for me ... so that fits.