3 best Genesis lyricists (including solo work)

• Choose your top 3 of lyric writers in Genesis 20

1. Tony Banks (15) 75%
    2. Phil Collins (7) 35%
    3. Peter Gabriel (19) 95%
    4. Steve Hackett (3) 15%
    5. Anthony Phillips (3) 15%
    6. Mike Rutherford (9) 45%
    7. Ray Wilson (0) 0%

The recent discussion about Burning Rope and Phil's comments on that song has got me thinking how vastly different the Genesis members' styles are in terms of lyric writing.

Who would you pick as your top 3 of best Genesis lyricists? I allowed 3 votes because I don't want one person to win with flying colours, I am really curious who will make it as #2 and #3. You can count in lyrics from solo work too, imho this makes sense since some Genesis members have left quite few lyrics within Genesis work.

• I voted PG (in the lead by a long distance) and AP. Apart from the odd touch by Hackett in Genesis and his earlier solo days I'm neutral to eye-rolling on the others.

Abandon all reason

• I voted Peter, Tony and Steve.

Voting for Peter is probably a bit obvious, since a lot of the "fantasy theatrical weird but cool" stuff usually came from him. There are lots of wordplays that are appealing.

I like Tony's early lyrics (One for the vine, Mad Man Moon...). I know some can sound convoluted, especially on later songs ("Sheets of double-glazing"), but as a non-native speaker it doesn't bother me.

The few lyrics Steve wrote seem quite strong (stronger than Tony's ones to me).

• Gabriel, Collins then a toss up between Rutherford and Wilson. I went with Rutherford because I like Dreaming While You Sleep and it's hardly fair to rank Wilson so highly when he only contributed to 3 songs or so. That said, I really like those songs!

• Although in the early days he let clever wordplay get in the way of poignancy and narrative, Gabriel kept getting stronger. Certainly by III onward, his lyrics were very strong.

Banks and Rutherford could both do a great lyric as well as ones that were awkwardly clunky (Banks) or maudlin (Rutherford). Collins sometimes could write a good lyric (e.g., Take Me Home), but I find many of his phrases kinda trite and obvious (e.g., Another Day in Paradise).

• Collins sometimes could write a good lyric (e.g., Take Me Home), but I find many of his phrases kinda trite and obvious (e.g., Another Day in Paradise).

Or indeed Both Sides Of The Story, currently being discussed in TOTW. For me it's probably one of his worst lyrics. Practically nothing in it is even an actual "need to hear both sides of the story" situation. The "white man turns a corner" bit is amusing though. "...that's why I carry one" :D

Abandon all reason

• Banks and Rutherford could both do a great lyric as well as ones that were awkwardly clunky (Banks) or maudlin (Rutherford). Collins sometimes could write a good lyric (e.g., Take Me Home), but I find many of his phrases kinda trite and obvious (e.g., Another Day in Paradise).

Me being a non-native speaker, I had to look up the words "clunky", "maudlin" and "trite" as I wasn't familiar with any of them. I get what you mean - thing is, my mind just works this way, I don't know why - I was thinking right away that "Clunky, Maudlin & Trite" would be a cool name for a funny cartoon show about three dorks who try to be superheroes! ^^