9. 07 points - satisfactory - (0) 0%
    10. 06 points - sufficient + (1) 5%
    11. 05 points - sufficient (0) 0%
    12. 04 points - sufficient - (0) 0%
    13. 03 points - poor + (0) 0%
    14. 02 points - poor (0) 0%
    15. 01 point - poor - (0) 0%
    16. 00 points - abysmal (0) 0%

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread. If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

STRICTLY INC - An Island In The Darkness

Year: 1995
    Album: Strictly Inc
    Working title: unknown
    Credits: Banks, Kershaw
    Lyrics: Yes
    Length: 17:21
    Musicians: Tony Banks, Jack Hues, Nathan East, Daryl Stuermer
    Played Live: never
    Cover versions: unknown

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Notes: An island for fans? Tony Banks' last rock solo album in 1995 was an interesting work, but its sound alone divided opinion. But An Island In The Darkness reconciled many - because Tony remembered his history and produced perhaps the best Genesis song that he wrote - but never released with Genesis...

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• I haven't listened to this track in a while, but I have the ending part with the solo in my head now. It's quite a stately piece, with a nice lush atmosphere. By far the most ambitious thing he tried on a solo album I believe, and of course it was the last to date. I gave it 13, despite being ambitious, in some ways it plays it a bit safe with the sound and tempo.

• I'm probably in the minority on this, but for me this is not a favorite from the STRICTLY INC. album or from Tony's solo career in general. It seems to be long just for the sake of being long, and may have worked better as a shorter (though still fairly long) piece.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• I'm with DecomposingMan on this one.

I absolutely love Tony Banks. My favorite musician in my favorite band. 90% of the time, my favorite songs on any Genesis album are songs that Tony wrote. This song just doesn't do much for me. I think there are some real nice sections, but overall something is missing.

FYI, I feel the same way about Fading Lights, another Tony-written piece that a lot of people love.

• Same here. That piano sound makes you (me) think it could be something from ATTWT but longer and grander. It’s not though. It’s got different sections like classic Banks, but they don’t take you anywhere.

I’m not a fan of the sound production either.

It’s probably his most ambitious (non-classical) track outside Genesis but for me it feels like one that got away.

• Christian: you are sure about the Banks, Kershaw credits?

Good catch. The writing credit should just show Banks. The only Banks/Kershaw composition released by Strictly Inc. was the B-side "Back to You."

Tony Banks at his very best. A masterpiece, clearly showing his real talent.

I have to say that, while I don't agree with this sentiment myself, I can see why someone else would feel that way about the song.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• 14. Probably his best solo track ever. There's just something missing for 15 points - and I cannot even say what it is. Just a feeling ...

I know what you mean, probably simply Mike and Phil are missing. That could have made the track a 15 points classic. As it is, I'd say 13. And yes, one of his finest solo tracks!

• 14. Probably his best solo track ever. There's just something missing for 15 points - and I cannot even say what it is. Just a feeling ...

It's a standout track. And of course it could have been a bit better with different people involved. The again, it would have been a Genesis track that would have to compete with Firth Of Fifth and others. As it stands now, it's "just" Tony's masterpiece on the last ever rock album he ever did. And that's not really common in rock music.

cheers

Christian

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!