Official Genesis releases: Mistakes and misprints

• Hey

I recently found my old "Jesus he knows me" single CD and it reminded me of that track mistake, stating "Hearts on fire" as "Give it up".

So I thought - why not open a thread and we collect all those mistakes (or at least some of them) on official releases? I am sure we will find quite a few.

• On the Genesis cassettes distributed in France, probably dating from the beginning of the 80's, Nursery Crime and Selling albums have mismatches.

https://fr.shopping.rakuten.com/photo/2267418038_L.jpg

and

https://www.picclickimg.com/YRUAAOSwqCJlOq8X/Cassette-audio-tape-GENESIS-Selling-England-by-the.webp

For years, as a child, I thought Hogweed was Salmacis, and More Fool Me was Battle (I was only listening to cassettes). It was only when I began to study and understand English (at school), and paying attention to the lyrics that I thought "it seems there is a problem, the theme of the song does not fit with the title..." but I still wasn't sure. And then came the internet, and I was so surprised to discover the mistakes...

• On my copy of the Definitive Edition remaster of THREE SIDES LIVE, the live tracks from the original UK side 4 have footnotes that were incorrectly carried over from the original US version with 5 studio tracks:

Recorded at... * The Farm Surrey '81 and + Polar Studios Stockholm 1979

"One for the Vine" and "Fountain of Salmacis" are marked with "*" and "It/Watcher of the Skies" is marked with both "*" and "+". (Of course, the "*" tracks were actually "Paperlate," "You Might Recall" & "Me & Virgil," while the "+" tracks were "Evidence of Autumn" & "Open Door.")

Also, my copy of the Definitive Edition of A TRICK OF THE TAIL has some incorrect writing credits:

"Robbery, Assault and Battery" - Banks (should be Banks/Collins)

"Ripples" - Banks/Collins (should be Banks/Rutherford)

"A Trick of the Tail" - Banks/Rutherford (should be Banks)

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain. And most do."

-- Dale Carnegie

Edited once, last by DecomposingMan ().

• Speaking of Definitive Editions and SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND: My copy of the Definitive Edition of SELLING has the second part of the lyrics to "The Battle of Epping Forest" -- i.e., starting with "They called me the Reverend" -- under the title "After the Ordeal."

-- Dale Carnegie

• I think the DER Lamb had Broadway Melody coded as being just the tranquil bridge section before Cuckoo didn't it? Making it about 40 seconds long, with all BMO74's words attributed to Fly.

On my copy of the Definitive Edition remaster of THREE SIDES LIVE, the live tracks from the original UK side 4 have footnotes that were incorrectly carried over from the original US version with 5 studio tracks

Speaking of which, was the incorrect 1980 attribution for Salmacis live later corrected?

Abandon all reason

• My copy of 3SL CD contains the lyrics for all the songs on ABACAB despite several of them not actually appearing on the live album. I have listed the songs lyrics as they appear below. As you can see it's is all over the place.

Page 1

1. TURN IT ON AGAIN

2. DODO

Page 2

1. ABACAB

2. NO REPLY AT ALL

3. ME AND SARAH JANE (only forst 3 lines)

Page 3

5. DODO

8. MAN ON THE CORNER.

(no number) LURKER

Page 4

begins with second half of IN THE CAGE

9b. THE CINEMA SHOW (full lyrics)

9c. THE COLONY OF SLIPPERMEN (full lyrics)

Page 5

THE COLONY OF SLIPPERMEN continued

10. AFTERGLOW

11. ONE FOR THE VINE

Page 6

ONE FOR THE VINE continued

12. FOUNTAIN OF SALMACIS

Page 7

3. ABACAB

3. BEHIND THE LINES

5. DUCHESS

Page 8

DUCHESS continued

6. ME AND SARAH JANE

7. FOLLOW YOU FOLLOW ME

Page 9

FOLLOW YOU FOLLOW ME continued

8. MISUNDERSTANDING

9a. IN THE CAGE

Page 10

ME AND SARAH JANE (second half)

4. KEEP IT DARK

Page 11

7. WHODUNNIT?

9. LIKE IT OR NOT

10. ANOTHER RECORD

Page 12

End of FOUNTAIN OF SALMACIS

13a. IT

13b. WATCHER OF THE SKIES

• There is also the famous Picture 12" of Selling England, that plays a Tangerine Dream album.

/ Genesis: Mixup with the "Selling England" Picture Disc

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• Incredibly enough, as of 2011, there were still reissues misprinting the second half of One for the Vine as Salmacis.

That's how the track divisions are on my DER copy of 3SL: "One for the Vine" is divided into two tracks while "Fountain" and "It/Watcher" are lumped together in one track.

I think the DER Lamb had Broadway Melody coded as being just the tranquil bridge section before Cuckoo didn't it? Making it about 40 seconds long, with all BMO74's words attributed to Fly.

My copy of the DER LAMB has the wrong track division, leaving "Broadway" at a mere 0:33 (and listed with that time on the back). However, the booklet has the lyrics to "Broadway" in the right place.

The same wrong track division also shows up in the live versions of "Fly" and "Broadway" on my copy of ARCHIVE 1.

(BTW, not an error but something I find interesting: My old LP copy of LAMB had Peter's story printed inside the gatefold, and at the end -- as if to fill some space that was left -- the story was started over again for a few paragraphs, stopping abruptly when the space ran out. Well, I just noticed that it's the same way in my DER CD copy!)

-- Dale Carnegie

• I could mention again the erroneous credits on some of my dad's vinyl copies he got back in the 70's:

Foxtrot credits all songs as Banks/Collins/Gabriel/Hackett/MacPhail/Rutherford.

Seconds Out credits all Gabriel era songs as Banks/Collins/Rutherford; Volcano is credited as Banks/Rutherford/Hackett.

Also, the BBC box credits Pacidy as Banks/Collins/Gabriel/Phillips/Rutherford.