What TV shows have you been watching ?

• Picard season 3. Phenomenal so far.

I've never had access to it, but might look out for other sources. I liked TNG and like the Picard character and Patrick Stewart, so I'm intrigued by it. I'm saddened to hear his once deep rich voice so reduced though.

Abandon all reason

• I have not watched it yet, but the Wrexham football club story seems genuinely heartwarming with McElhinney/Reynolds buying it and now getting promoted. I plan to watch the Disney plus show about it.

One thing I hope to learn is the relative role each actor plays - the articles usually mention them both at the start, then exclusively refer to Reynolds as the savior, or the guy who knows how to make a shrewd investment or something along those lines. My brief research so far indicates it was McElhinney's idea and he approached Reynolds for the money. By way of background, I think McElhinney's show It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is the best American comedy there is.

• This evening BBC4 showed a batch of episodes of Bobbie Gentry's late 60s/early 70s TV shows. It was a lovely couple of hours and I thoroughly enjoyed it. What a talented and beautiful woman.

Abandon all reason

• Technically not a show I watched, I don't have access to it, and even if I did I wouldn't watch it, but seeing clips others have posted of Tucker Carlson's interview with Putin it again strikes me that Carlson seems to permanently have the facial expression of a post-concussion baboon that's been given a differential equation to solve.

Abandon all reason

• Talking Pictures TV are airing "Stringray" on Saturday afternoons. Made in 1964, in colour, the picture quality is outstanding for the era, clearly Gerry Anderson's budget had few limits.

This showing proves me wrong. Back in the day, it would be one around 4.30pm, and, like Fireball XL5 and Thunderbirds, I would be badgering my mum if we had stopped in shops on the way home from school, home taping was not even something anyone had even imagined at that time, so I'd be urging mum to get a move on, this would be my only chance to see this episode, it would never be repeated! Now, it seems, I was wrong! Sorry mum!

Interestingly, these repeats are preceded by a warning that the show is rated "PG". Really? It's a kids show, no-one over the age of 12 was watching it back in the day. X/

On the subject of ratings for shows, BBC have warnings of "Contains adult humour" - I wonder if they've ever seen it? :/

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• I've been watching drama series The Dropout on the bbc iplayer. It tells the story of the Theranos blood-testing scandal. Really gripping, horrible at times (especially as it actually happened) but it even has touches of humour. It grimly illustrates how people can be caught up in the energy and enthusiasm of a highly driven person, particularly when it promises the possibility of money.

Abandon all reason

• Watching Doctor Who from the beginning in 1963 on the i player. We've been watching for months. Now up to series 7, 1970 with John Pertwee. It's gone colour.

I just recently re-watched the Capaldi ones and really enjoyed them. At the time I saw some but must have missed quite a few as there were ones I had no memory of. I like his grumpy take on the character.

While the earliest ones I recall are Troughton, Pertwee was "my" one. I vividly remember that first one of his, with the shop window dummies coming to life and smashing their way out. It's one of the most stark and memorable TV images from my childhood, along with the Goodies' giant kitten pushing over the Post Office Tower.

There's an odd moment in that first Pertwee one, where we see a shot of the plastics factory incongrously accompanied by a snatch of Oh Well by Fleetwood Mac.

Abandon all reason

• Watching Doctor Who from the beginning in 1963 on the i player. We've been watching for months. Now up to series 7, 1970 with John Pertwee. It's gone colour.

You’re hitting some fabulous stories, Inferno and particularly Ambassadors of Death are huge personal favourites of mine

• yes, amongst the wobbly sets and endless running backwards and forwards, the Classic 'Who' has a lot going for it. Like Backdrifter I remember Troughton a bit, went through the Pertwee years (largely grounded on earth, a serious, heroic doctor, quirky electronic soundtracks, lots of time in a quarry) and tailed off during Tom Baker's stint as I grew older.

Great that its back, with all the ups and downs of the new era. I was really looking forward to Jodie Whittaker's take on the role, as I think she's a superb actor, but was dismayed that they reduced the first female doctor (leaving aside Jo Martin and the Comic relief sketches) to a giddy schoolgirl for the most part. She deserved better scripts.

Currently really enjoying Wisting on iplayer and also thought the recent Rebus reboot was first rate.

• Since we're between favorites, which are all releasing seasons only once every two years (Handmaid's Tale, The Last of Us, Rings of Power, House of the Dragon and others), we decided to re-watch Lost again as a family. My wife and I watched every episode as they aired originally (before our DVR days) - then having to wait a WEEK to see the resolution of the current episode's cliffhanger ending! We're currently halfway thru season 2-but it's a commitment, cos there's like 18 hour long episodes accross like six seasons! This was before the days when every series only had like six or eight episodes and they're all released at the same time.

Well, our kids are loving it. And I'll admit, I had forgotten lots about what happened across the series, but I remember plenty-and it's fun seeing our kids try to predict what things are and what's going to happen. I'm like "you have NO idea!! Wait till season five-it'll feel like a completely different show!" It's also kind of nice after 15 years to revisit the series, since it's so jam-packed with foreshadowing and detail it's kind of like seeing it for the first time again!

• we decided to re-watch Lost again as a family.

I quite enjoyed season 1 when it originally went out. Then I learned there'd be 5 more seasons and I instantly lost interest - all puns intended. I couldn't commit to something that long in that one scenario. I subsequently heard lots of complaints about the ending. I liked the woman with nice eyebrows though.

That's good that your kids are enjoying it. Mrs B is with you on Handmaid's. She gets withdrawal symptoms when it's not on. I missed the start of it and never caught up, but know the gist of the premise. Some feel the US is becoming a real-life Gilead given the striking down of Roe and all that's ensued.

I've just recently finished a re-watching of the complete The Wire, still my favourite TV show. I'm still "seeing" McNulty and Rawls as I'm now on a re-watch of The Affair.

Abandon all reason

• ... Some feel the US is becoming a real-life Gilead given the striking down of Roe and all that's ensued.

I wouldn't necessarily think it's gone that far. Despite all that's happened with Roe and everything as you mention, the endeavor for the empowerment of women across the US is still going strong, as it has been for the last several years. - and although there's still progress to be made of course in certain areas, much progress has indeed been made. I would definitely say it's NOT in any way a LOSING battle right now! So from that perspective, I'd say things are well on track for the US to AVOID becoming like Gilead in the general sense, at least measuring by the standings of the day.

Anyway though, that is all I will say about that-as I am definitely not one for political debates-especially in a Genesis fan forum. :)

• Just regarding House of the Dragon - as a Thronie (!) I suffered through Season 1 and I will watch Season 2. I had extremely mixed feelings about Season 1 - as I think someone said in this very thread, HOTD is GOT - but with characters you don't know.

• I just recently re-watched the Capaldi ones and really enjoyed them. At the time I saw some but must have missed quite a few as there were ones I had no memory of. I like his grumpy take on the character.

While the earliest ones I recall are Troughton, Pertwee was "my" one. I vividly remember that first one of his, with the shop window dummies coming to life and smashing their way out. It's one of the most stark and memorable TV images from my childhood, along with the Goodies' giant kitten pushing over the Post Office Tower.

There's an odd moment in that first Pertwee one, where we see a shot of the plastics factory incongrously accompanied by a snatch of Oh Well by Fleetwood Mac.

I remember hiding behind the settee at shop dummies coming life. I would have been 8. I've re watched it and although I didn't end up hiding this time it still seems pretty creepy even by today's standards.