Which GENESIS tours did you see?

• You would've seen their first varilite tour on your 1981 Abacab show.

Great set of gigs there, including Gabriel and The Lamb. I'm wondering if anyone else on the board saw the band with PG still in.

You may be correct. But they were much more developed in 1983. I think these must be the early stages of LED lighting. I think the guy who created them is Mark Brickman.

I was fortunate to see Gabriel with Genesis four times (unequaled).

• You may be correct. But they were much more developed in 1983. I think these must be the early stages of LED lighting. I think the guy who created them is Mark Brickman.

I was fortunate to see Gabriel with Genesis four times (unequaled).

The 1981 tour was definitely the first varilite tour but yes the 83 tour made them more prominent and featured a more developed version of the lights. On the IT tour the entire rig was varilites.

Abandon all reason

• The Mama tour saw the varilites more perfected with great saturation and diversity in the lighting effects. Some think the Mama tour featured their best light show EVER.

It was an interesting one, partly for the very different configuration with Banks in the middle and the guitarists either side. This and the even more varilite-intensive IT show we're impressive. But I'm a big fan of the WCD tour set-up which pushed the lights to the margins and resulted in them being used more effectively, in my view.

Abandon all reason

• It was an interesting one, partly for the very different configuration with Banks in the middle and the guitarists either side. This and the even more varilite-intensive IT show we're impressive. But I'm a big fan of the WCD tour set-up which pushed the lights to the margins and resulted in them being used more effectively, in my view.

I liked the WCD tour lighting as well and the projection screen also. It was a good tour, saw them in Philadelphia (Vet Stadium).

• I liked the WCD tour lighting as well and the projection screen also. It was a good tour, saw them in Philadelphia (Vet Stadium).

A great set-up but I thought the set list reached the point where the older material became too marginalised. I always admire bands with the conviction to focus on their latest stuff and always defended Genesis's approach in that sense, but on that tour I was a bit saddened they crushed all the older stuff into one medley of snippets. Even Los Endos got dumped!

They considered opening with Behind the Lines but decided not to.

Abandon all reason

• A great set-up but I thought the set list reached the point where the older material became too marginalised. I always admire bands with the conviction to focus on their latest stuff and always defended Genesis's approach in that sense, but on that tour I was a bit saddened they crushed all the older stuff into one medley of snippets. Even Los Endos got dumped!

They considered opening with Behind the Lines but decided not to.

I never liked the medley approach to their old material, play 2 or 3 songs (shorter ones perhaps) in their entirety instead of the 'bone tossing' mish-mash.

• I never liked the medley approach to their old material, play 2 or 3 songs (shorter ones perhaps) in their entirety instead of the 'bone tossing' mish-mash.

I didn't mind some of the medley-ing. I liked the Europe 87 one as it gave us 3 complete songs, Cage-Quiet Earth-Afterglow. The Cinema Show segment they sometimes did worked really well and had great energy. But the WCD tour one chopped the songs up too much and, as you say, we didn't get the chance to hear an older song in its entirety. In particular the axing of Los Endos after 2 decades was quite disappointing.

Again, I never have any issue with a band front-loading their new stuff, any self-respecting act should do that. But they could've thrown the older dogs a slightly bigger bone!

Abandon all reason

• The medleys over the years have been hit and miss, IMO. Cage/Cinema Show/Scree/Raven/Afterglow is very powerful, especially around the time of 3SL/Mama tour.

Less so with the WCD tour, although I enjoyed seeing it live myself. It had some strong moments with Volcano, Firth, Musical Box closing, etc. but it also had that weak section where Phil was just singing random lines from songs without those songs actually being played.

Some weird ones over the years too, like the Eleventh Earl/Squonk/Firth one from an early leg of the Mama tour. The only one that was ever a big success to my ears is the Cage medley (but not the one on the IT tour where they segued into Supper's Ready at a dreadfully slow tempo).

• I properly got into Genesis after the We Can't Dance tour had already ended and was looking forward to their next release only for Phil to quit the band. I ended up getting the Congo single but I wasn't as enthused about the CAS line-up so had no inclination to see them live. I was just left picking up the remainder of the back catalogue and any other new releases they put out. I assumed I'd missed my chance of seeing Phil with the band but I promised myself that in the unlikely event he ever returned and toured I would get tickets to see it without hesitation.

I made good on that promise by going to the Old Trafford gig in 2007. Still the best gig I've been to - not that I've been to many.

• Invisible Touch Tour:

Saw Gabriel at the NEC on So tour & next night Genesis at Wembley.

Then on the saturday night Radio 1 broadcast the final night live - we sat outside a pub with the radio on.

What a summer!:D

• Hi everyone.

Seemed a good time to rejoin this forum after many years away.

I first saw Genesis in Liverpool on the W&W tour. Then Earls Court '77 and Knebworth '78.

A very long gap followed until Manchester in 2007.

• Official Post

Hi everyone.

Seemed a good time to rejoin this forum after many years away.

I first saw Genesis in Liverpool on the W&W tour. Then Earls Court '77 and Knebworth '78.

A very long gap followed until Manchester in 2011.

welcome (back) to our forum

I guess you mean Manchester 2007?

• I saw them several times :

- We can’t dance world tour / Paris / 1992

- Calling all stations tour / Paris and Lyon / 1998 (the best for the sound quality)

- Turn in on again tour / Paris and Montreal / 2007.

Next ?

- Glasgow / December, 12th / 2020

• Queued all day in December '76 outside the Free Trade Hall, Manchester to get tickets for the W&W tour got to 20 feet from the door and told 'Sold Out''. Out of the country for Knebworth '78, saw them in Manchester 2 x Duke April 1980, Birmingham NEC Abacab Dec 1981, Milton Keynes Oct 1982, Roundhay Park '87, and Old Trafford '07.

Just an aside, this year (my 60th and events subject to this bug going around) is a hell of a Genesis music year - saw TMB Genesis Extravaganza II in Feb, got tickets for The Watch in April, Steve Hackett in November, Genesis in December and TMB - The Lamb next February!