Genesis: "Lamb"-Boxset ahead?

• The Shrine isn't missing the last part, its been on bootleg a fraction longer than the official release.

Were the bootlegs from the same multitrack source as Archive 1? If so, why go to the trouble of remixing the studio track and also not include the encore? I'm not doubting, I'm just generally ignorant about a lot of these kinds of details.

• There was a bootleg boxset titled from One Fan To All The Others, that had a full IT on it.

Comparison LAMB

But just for the avoidance of doubt, Wolfgangs Vault home of the collection of Billy Graham (famous promoter in America). Contains a full IT supposedly from the Shrine show.

Wolfgangs

Whether it's a multi track or a stereo master we are not sure.

But it's certainly evidence for any possible research.

TGA

• I listen to the Wolfgang's Vault version of the Lamb more than Archive 1 just because it has Gabriel's original vocals and no overdubs. I wonder if the band's recording from Archive 1 was from their own recording desk and not Billy Grahams?

• I'm listening to the unfurnished bootleg of The Shrine show now and what's really nice about it is at the end of the concert you can now hear just how well received the show was by the audience. I remember when I first heard the performance as it was presented on the Archive box set, I could hear a lot of chatter and firecrackers going off, all of which gave the impression that the crowd really was that into it. Presumably by the time the band reached Los Angeles, word had spread about the kind of show they were putting on and perhaps the fans were becoming more familiar with the new material.

• if you have the actual show. Cam you tell me did peter give the last part of the story or was it just not told that night

hella LA

Our hero named Rael. Start lamb lies down

leads into a chamber with 32 other doors only one of which cam get any of them out. Start back in new york city

then their is a third pat before lillywhite lillith starts. Archive doesnt have it

did he not tell it that night?

• Yes, he told the third part of the story. For some reason, on the bootleg I'm listening to, it's split into two separate tracks, with the second part coming between Anyway and The Supernatural Anaesthetist. Also, there's a bit missing so the story goes from the story of Rael's encounter with Lilith and then resumes with the line "those of you familiar with the afflictions of drummers..."

I must say Gabriel sounds in good form when he's telling these stories at this show. For most of the tour, his delivery is stilted and unsure so it's good to hear him responding to the positive vibes from the audience here.

• The official reason quoted at the time was that the tape ran out on the night.

If that's true, I can imagine the scenario... The recording engineer, being told the album was 90 minutes long, brings with him "plenty" of tape to record the show. Then, during the show, realizes to his horror that the singer's between song talk is awfully long... :P

• Its been over 20 years since the lamb live came out in archive. I don't follow tech to close i wonder if with todays tech they could restore one if not parts of shows and give us a full live lamb now. Instead of over dubs. If u want to do an over dub just remake the lamb whole. Listening to IT was a miserable experience with that fad out. I wanted to here the thunderous explosion and imagine the strobe going and imagining 2 peters/raels. And that was spat on with that remake lol. Not saying i didn't like the remake but not for a live show and live shows don't fade on a song the song ends the audience goes nuts and then it fades. What a muck up lol.

• I bought the first box set (70-75) for £85 on its release and all the others individually. Why they didn't press more of the PG box set is beyond me as demand was high (maybe to keep the cost high for a limited run?). To be honest, the DVDs are fab but would advise any fan to hold onto their original CDs as Nick D overcompressed the audio CDs and they sound too loud and brash.

:thumbup:

• When I bought Archive 1, I was certainly really excited about a box set that included the whole lamb show live. Of course then you find out about the "technical" issue and of course you wonder if this was necessary. Tony Banks says that it is the only show recorded professionally and I still believe that it is true.

I haven't heard this concert in its original version, but even with everything said, I really like listening to it. And this has been the case from then until now.

To what extent it may be technically possible in studio to have offered something closer than this to what it was ? I cannot make any judgement. Certainly all the members were involved in what was done there, so I think there was some consensus in the process.

Of course we would all like to hear something "unmanipulated" but it is what we have so far officially released

We all know where those "interventions" are, over time listening here and there the educated ear can find the tweaks.

I must find that bootleg... it is a pending task

• I haven't heard this concert in its original version, but even with everything said, I really like listening to it.

It was circulating late 70s/early 80s. My brother had it on cassette at that time, with a photocopied cover of a person in a weird gas mask or something. It ended with Scree as I recall.

While it's a bit frustrating I can see why they doctored it. The vocals weren't great in parts and the lead guitar sounded a bit weedy. Think of how it sounds on the boxset in Supernatural Anaesthetist, which I'm surprised they didn't patch up, and to my memory that's how it sounded all the way through.

On that one, they might of course have actually done something with it and it had been even worse before! Though I think Hackett said he'd specifically redone the Lamia solo, do we know if he did anything else? What's odd is how the HCTSA solo is thin and scratchy but then when the song breaks down the guitar sounds full and majestic in complete contrast.

Abandon all reason

• It was circulating late 70s/early 80s. My brother had it on cassette at that time, with a photocopied cover of a person in a weird gas mask or something. It ended with Scree as I recall.

While it's a bit frustrating I can see why they doctored it. The vocals weren't great in parts and the lead guitar sounded a bit weedy. Think of how it sounds on the boxset in Supernatural Anaesthetist, which I'm surprised they didn't patch up, and to my memory that's how it sounded all the way through.

On that one, they might of course have actually done something with it and it had been even worse before! Though I think Hackett said he'd specifically redone the Lamia solo, do we know if he did anything else? What's odd is how the HCTSA solo is thin and scratchy but then when the song breaks down the guitar sounds full and majestic in complete contrast.

Well, the band obviously used the original tapes with a professional recording.

Something different from a bootleg obviously, the source is different and the management too.

There is a series of videos on youtube where these recordings are analyzed in detail.

However listening to the bootleg I think will give me an idea of the matter.

Thanks for the quote, really!:thumbup: