Your favorite tracks on ... "Wind & Wuthering"

• Indeed. Strictly speaking from a musical point of view here.

Oh, of course. I'd no more listen to Unquiet Slumber For The Sleepers on its own than I would Home By The Sea, In The Glow Of The Night or Lover's Leap.

I think it's funny, though, that Steve complained about not getting what he felt to be a fair share of the writing credits and then, after the band acquiesced, he left anyway!

• An incidental observation about W&W: A full third of the tracks are instrumental. No other Genesis album comes close to this proportion. (Even if you count "Unquiet" and "In That" as one track, W&W's proportion of instrumental tracks is still the highest.)

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• Oh, of course. I'd no more listen to Unquiet Slumber For The Sleepers on its own than I would Home By The Sea, In The Glow Of The Night or Lover's Leap.

I think it's funny, though, that Steve complained about not getting what he felt to be a fair share of the writing credits and then, after the band acquiesced, he left anyway!

Probably realised a fifth wheel he'd always be...

I know not those Home by the Sea and In the Glow of the Night thingies you speak of, but I get the sentiment :saint:

• This is my second favourite album of all time by anyone. Beaten only by Trick. BOTR has always been my favourite but I love AIAMN. I think it's fantastic. I'll never forget Nationwide ,a nightly UK TV news/magazine show using it to soundtrack some footage of a bi plane someone was flying, it has such a dreamy quality.

• Eleventh Earl of Mar, One for the Vine, Blood on the Rooftops.

It's a curious album. I love those three tracks and afterglow. YOSW is terrible. AIAMN has some strong musical ideas and Phil does a phenomenal job with atrocious lyrics, but the production makes it all a little flat. I find the instrumental songs a bit formless, and really dislike the sound Tony uses on the keyboard solo before afterglow. It's like he has a neon arrow over his head with a sign that says 'Here! Over here! I'm playing a KEYBOARD SOLO!!' (hope it's not Hackett playing guitar now, I've made that mistake before).

Overall it lacks an edge. There's a bit of that in Eleventh Earl of Mar, BOTR and the instrumental bit in OFTV. But for me, it's not enough to make it a favorite album.

• I'll never forget Nationwide ,a nightly UK TV news/magazine show using it to soundtrack some footage of a bi plane someone was flying, it has such a dreamy quality.

Do you mean the opening to this, a documentary by Bernard Clarke (a Nationwide reporter)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd4_96zgEZQ

Hackett's Spectral Mornings features later in the same film, at 40:30.

I started work at BAe Hatfield a couple of months after this was filmed. I met Bernard Clarke when returned a few times in 1980 and 1981 to do a Nationwide series on the development and first flight of the BAe 146, and spent a day in my department.

• They should have used "Tiger Moth"! :)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• IMHO, the instrumental tracks (i.e., "Unquiet Slumbers" and "Quiet Earth") shouldn't be separate tracks (I don't mind them being separated from "Afterglow", though - that works for me as far as the poll is concerned).

A tough album for me to pick favorites - I love the whole thing. And yet, if I had been fortunate enough to have been the producer for it, I would have agreed with Steve that their working on the nascent "Please Don't Touch" should have been included instead of "Wot Gorilla?", and I would have preferred "Inside And Out" to AIAMN. But, those are just niggles - it's wonderful as it is - yes, even "Your Own Special Way", prog anoraks.;)^^

Hard to pick three, but I went for "One For The Vine", "Blood On The Rooftops", and "In That Quiet Earth", with an honorable mention for "Eleventh Earl Of Mar".

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• Wow, BOTR is top. It makes my top 3 but I didnt expect it to be top.

I wasn't really aware of Genesis when it came out , as I only discovered them in 1980, so I on'y discovered this album in retrospect. For me, one their very best, and it's hard to choose my very favourite tracks, but I went for (clear top) EEOM, then OFTV and BOTR.

I'm not surprised that YOSW is so low down - for years I always skipped it. That only changed for me when I heard the Australian version with strings and I finally realised what a song it could have been. Having now heard some live recordings from the WAW tour, I think it sounded a lot better live, partly because I think Phil performs it better live.

For me, EEOM is only second best to WOTS in terms of greatest album opener.

• For me, EEOM is only second best to WOTS in terms of greatest album opener.

Agree, they knocked it out of the park with EEOM. Not sure I'd have it above Mama but obv that's a preference thing. I think they have a very strong record of opening songs in general. Gonna make a nice playlist now.