GENESIS - UK/Ireland Tour 2020 rescheduled for FALL 2021

• Am I missing something - are people having a problem with there being backing singers?

Looks great. One thing I have said is that Genesis know how to put on a show and they would adapt to make sure aging and illness doesnt detract . I'm all for doing things in new ways .really looking forward to it.

• I have to say that I am not looking forward to the backup singers. Pink Floyd had backup singers on their studio material so that would be expected and their music suits it pretty well in some cases. Phil had them on his own material so that would be expected. But Genesis music doesn't really need backup singers unless Phil's voice really isn't up to the task. In past cases of songs with backup singing on studio versions, when played live Phil would handle the main parts and Tony/Mike/Daryl would handle the rest. Some cases the backup vocals would be left out and it worked just fine.

I remember the Police bringing on backup singers and it was just awful. I fear something similar for Genesis...

• I think backing singers should be great, to be honest I’d rather have them to fill the sound out if Phil’s voice is fragile - no worries on that department bring them on. The only issue is what songs will they sing on?. Was looking at the usual shoe ins for set lists and I’m having trouble seeing any?.

If they did “ Many Too Many” for a change that would be great with backing .

• The backing vocalists have caused much wailing and gnashing of teeth on Facebook based Genesis fan groups....often by the very same people who ask that Genesis "do something different with the songs" on this tour. For fans of "progressive" music.....some people do prefer to stick Genesis in a sealed jar labelled "1972".

My take is that they are finally trying something a little different on tour, but some people don't like it. I can think of several songs where backing singers would be appropriate, not because Phil can't sing but because the original recorded versions had harmonies or Phil/Pete doubling the vocals. But if they've decided to add some extra vocals to Invisible Touch, maybe it will work? We do know that Tony really doesn't like doing backing vocals, and perhaps he's finally decided "no". Possibly Mike too.

Regarding the unfortunate clash of cates with Steve....I am sure Tony Smith and everyone concerned will have been aware. They will be working with the venues which will have rescheduled every act which wanted to hire them in the last 12 months. It is likely that it simply wasn't possible to avoid a clash or two. I'm sure they're aware that there are a good number of people who would book tickets for both Genesis and Steve.

• Am I missing something - are people having a problem with there being backing singers?

Some people will have a problem, others, who have observed the likes of Barclay James Harvest (whose backing singers have included Sam Brown of "Stop" fame) and the Moody Blues both take this step around the same time, or earlier, than Pink Floyd, will realise it's just an enabler to a better sound.

BJH & MB both likely did it for the same reason as Floyd, having lost vocalists (Wooly Wolstenholme and Mike Pinder respectively) but since Genesis were never big embracers of backing vocals anyway, they've not felt the need before. Now Phil is struggling a bit more (He is, fact!) I guess they've seen it as a way of enabling a better sound too.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• backing singers are fine...seen them used various bands..elo worked well. And will probably have better voice than TB...no offence!. And as others have said may mean that they can play songs that Phil might have struggled with on his own. Bring it on...anything must be better than another night in😊

• As someone mentioned before as soon as I saw the red eyes the first thing I thought of was “Squonk,” although given that the character in the song is described as shy and retiring I’m not sure it fits. Still, I’d take it in a heartbeat if they play it! Still (im)patiently waiting for a US leg to be announced . . .

• Ok, I gotta admit I’ve watched the clip 5 times and I still don’t see the back-up singers. It’s becoming like one of those paintings where everyone else sees something in it except me lol. Would some kind soul direct me to where I should be looking in the clip when the back-up singers are visible? Thanks.

• Ok, I gotta admit I’ve watched the clip 5 times and I still don’t see the back-up singers. It’s becoming like one of those paintings where everyone else sees something in it except me lol. Would some kind soul direct me to where I should be looking in the clip when the back-up singers are visible? Thanks.

Look at 9 seconds in, between Daryl and Mike you will see them. At 48 seconds you can also see them to the left behind Phil.

• As someone mentioned before as soon as I saw the red eyes the first thing I thought of was “Squonk,” although given that the character in the song is described as shy and retiring I’m not sure it fits. Still, I’d take it in a heartbeat if they play it! Still (im)patiently waiting for a US leg to be announced . . .

Why did red eyes make you think of Squonk?

And I wonder if it made anyone thonk of Squink.

Abandon all reason

• The backing vocalists have caused much wailing and gnashing of teeth on Facebook based Genesis fan groups....often by the very same people who ask that Genesis "do something different with the songs" on this tour. For fans of "progressive" music.....some people do prefer to stick Genesis in a sealed jar labelled "1972".

Right ok, I now understand why you refer to people having a problem with it, I was confused as no one here seems to. So far.

I agree, as soon as the tour was announced I liked the idea of it being a very different kind of Genesis show. Well, by default it has to be but if the new lineup means a different kind of set than we're used to, even better.

Ironically those arms-folded prog-head fans you refer to might actually end up getting a bit more of their sacred early 70s stuff than usual.

Abandon all reason

• Looks and sounds great. They have a very vibrant sound, don't know if that's just the production, being out of the saddle so long and being reinvigorated, or having young blood on stage to spice things up. Would LOVE to see one of these shows so much, and I can only hope it comes to pass in the way they plan.

The visuals look terrific too, more exciting and dynamic than any other tour based on the videos of them I've seen. Wouldn't mind backing singers at all, it would be very interesting to see how they would use them to augment the sound, as it's not something I think they've done before.

COME ON THE VACCINE, YOU CAN DO IT!!