GENESIS - „Opening Night“ 1992 tour documentary

• Official Post

For those of you who don’t know this one

a nice documentary about the kick off of the 1992 North American leg, Opening Night, is on YouTube as well.
    it was aired in the US back in 1992 and also in Germany prior to the “premiere” broadcast of the final show at knebworth

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Oh, I almost forgot that they did originally include Mama in the set - does anyone remember why it was dropped?

Best guess? They didn’t bring the instruments / equipment required to play the song. Also probably because of the demanding vocal performance from Phil, could’ve been too much for him.

• Official Post

They dropped it after the Tampa gig, which was cut short due to Phil's voice giving out two songs in.

indeed, it was a voice killer during that tour, they alsp changed keys on some further tracks to make it work for Phil

Mama then came back in 1998 with Ray and also with Phil in 2007, and that was a nice performance, though obviously less aggressive than in 1987 for example.

• Official Post

Hasn't Phil caught a cold from Lily who infected her father? I remember a big headline saying Lily sets her Daddy checkmate back in 1992. Had he only worn a facemask... ;)

That's news for me - but of course this makes perfect sense. The Tampa experience is for sure something that has affected Phil's presence on stage until today. Always afraid he might lose his voice and disappoint people.

• indeed, it was a voice killer during that tour, they alsp changed keys on some further tracks to make it work for Phil

Mama then came back in 1998 with Ray and also with Phil in 2007, and that was a nice performance, though obviously less aggressive than in 1987 for example.

Funny, i could have sworn they did Mama at Earls Court in 1992. Just had to check, but indeed they didn't....maybe the few drinks before the show playing tricks with my memory!

• Official Post

They did Dreaming While You Sleep at Earl’s Court. That wasn’t played on the European stadium leg.

• Just watched this again. What a wonderful documentary. It’s really interesting how scared they were before the first show.
    I hope they will do something like this for this tour as well.

... make tomorrow today!

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This version has the full commercials including some Genesis ones. Hard to believe this was nearly 30 years ago!

• I watched this again after I saw the Last Domino? documentary. What a different time that was!

And early during this tour, Phil sang differently:

• Official Post

I watched this again after I saw the Last Domino? documentary. What a different time that was!

And early during this tour, Phil sang differently:

a good example why Phil struggled a lot with his voice back then. This is really too demanding to sind every night, so they lowered the key. Understandable

• Yes people do have audio and video of the Genesis 1992 rehearsals. But why would they share it or give it to you for free?

We have tracked you all over the internet. You seem to want everything but contribute nothing in return.

Your recent attitude with Hannover 1987, has meant that people would be far less likely to share things with you.

You really come across as a naïve newbie.

Try putting in some effort, work, time, money into Genesis before begging for freebies.

TGA