Your favorite tracks on ... "III" (Melt)

• Official Post

Your three favorite tracks on ... "III" (Melt) 42

1. No Self Control (24) 57%
    2. Intruder (21) 50%
    3. Family Snapshot (20) 48%
    4. Games Without Frontiers (16) 38%
    5. Biko (16) 38%
    6. I Don't Remember (9) 21%
    7. Not One Of Us (6) 14%
    8. Lead A Normal Life (6) 14%
    9. And Through The Wire (4) 10%
    10. Start (0) 0%

Following the albums poll about Phil Collins and Genesis, we'd like to do the favorite tracks poll also for PETER GABRIEL.

This one is about his album III, released in 1980.

So far available:

Rated PG

Scratch My Back

UP

US

So

IV

• As per Len and Feel's comments it's practically impossible choosing 3 from this astonishing album, which was a milestone in my music listening. I went for Intruder, Control and Not One, though I meant to select Normal Life but mis-tapped. I knew it'd struggle so I hope it gets at least some love.

I keep momentarily mis-reading the thread title as "Favourite tracks on ill"

Abandon all reason

• A great album and tough to pick just 3. Biko is obvious. Family Snapshot has always been a favourite, both chilling and poignant. I went with No Self Control, but I could have easily picked several others.

I meant to select Normal Life but mis-tapped. I knew it'd struggle so I hope it gets at least some love.

I don't know if you are aware, but Peter did play Lead a Normal Life live at least once, appropriately when he was in Normal, Indiana:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• 'Melt' is not only my favourite Gabriel album, it's probably my favourite album to come out of the Genesis camp since Wind & Wuthering.

Family Snapshot and No Self Control are my favourites. After that there's probably a three-way tie for third.

I picked And Through The Wire knowing not many others would choose it but it was my favourite track on the album when it was a new release, and I still get a sentimental charge out of it whenever I hear it.

• I don't know if you are aware, but Peter did play Lead a Normal Life live at least once

I was indeed aware. For instance, Tue 11 March 1980, London Hammersmith Odeon, I was there.

But yeah, Lead A Normal Life in Normal is very fitting.

Still zero votes. We can't all be sausage-fingered like me and mis-selecting. ☹

Abandon all reason

• It's a great album. I remember listening to it a lot during an unsettled time in my life however, and it's funny how those connections can carry forward. Despite the quality of it, it dredges up negative memories. That said, it's so good it's still my second favorite PG album after Up (which I love anyway, and coincidentally saturated my playlists during a thrilling time of discovery for me!).

I went for Intruder, Family Snapshot and I Don't Remember.

• ...I remember listening to it a lot during an unsettled time in my life however, and it's funny how those connections can carry forward...

I can appreciate how personal experiences can influence one's feelings towards a song or album.

PG3 came out when I was 15 turning 16, thinking about my future, assessing friendships, questioning how I fit in, was I a normal person – things that teens dwell on when they’re alone in the dark.

So at that point an album of songs that touched on social alienation and madness seemed to speak to me on a personal level. The music was like nothing else I had heard from anyone else. I remember even being captivated by the strange lingering endings to some of the songs and thinking that every second had something unique to offer.

40+ years later I have no doubt my love for this album is partially coloured by my memories of being so enraptured by it in my youth.

• Beautifully put. I think the same experiences I was having were shot through with an unpleasantness the music was good enough to absorb somehow. It has a membranous quality very hard to attain, almost like Bowie had.

• This is not one of my favorite Peter albums, but for me the 3 stand-out songs are

Games without Frontiers (one of my all-time PG faves!)

I Don't Remember

No Self Control

The rest are decent, but don't grab me. I'm probably the only guy in here who completely skips Biko, and I know PG fans usually adore that song! I'm weird LOL

• Biko for me, powerful message aside and it's quite a lot, the novelty of that arrangement, back in 1980 was something really something unheard of. Provided that I adore the whole album, Family snapshot is a personal favorite of mine. and of course NSC.

• No Self Control and Games Without Frontiers are classics no doubt. Intruder was revolutionary with the drum pattern and the sound that basically created the eighties (this can be looked upon both positively and negatively).

• Official Post

No Self Control and Games Without Frontiers are classics no doubt. Intruder was revolutionary with the drum pattern and the sound that basically created the eighties (this can be looked upon both positively and negatively).

Yes. Jerry Marotta and Phil kick butt on this album. And to think, all with no cymbals being allowed in the studio!