20, 21, 22 September | Genesis live in BIRMINGHAM | reports **SPOILERS**

• WARNING! DON'T READ THIS IF EASILY OFFENDED. I knew friends of Mrs Farmer were at the same show as us . We didn't meet up. Mrs Farmer texted them asking where they were not long before the start. They said waiting for food. We assumed they were on the queue on concourse. They were in a nearby pub . They missed the start because their food was late.

• I wonder if Phil

WARNING! DON'T READ THIS IF EASILY OFFENDED. I knew friends of Mrs Farmer were at the same show as us . We didn't meet up. Mrs Farmer texted them asking where they were not long before the start. They said waiting for food. We assumed they were on the queue on concourse. They were in a nearby pub . They missed the start because their food was late.

I thought Supper's Ready no?

• Official Post

A year ago today, The last Domino? tour startet in Birmingham.

Time flies ...

• yeah the time absolutely flew and what a great night/tour it was. Was planning my trip to the airport this time last year

On gigs I've seen a huge amount the last 12 months and Genesis turned it all on again

• Yes I was there on the 22nd. Loved it.

I don't check in here that often so excuse me if its been discussed but Nic Collins said in a recent interview that the Shows were recorded so maybe there will be a CD/DVD-its a possibility. Also he said he was going on the Drumeo Channel on YT. So we might get to see him play some Genesis tracks there.

• Yes I was there on the 22nd. Loved it.

I don't check in here that often so excuse me if its been discussed but Nic Collins said in a recent interview that the Shows were recorded so maybe there will be a CD/DVD-its a possibility. Also he said he was going on the Drumeo Channel on YT. So we might get to see him play some Genesis tracks there.

Christian if these topics have been mentioned please let me know and I will delete this post to save duplication.

Can you provide a source for NIc claiming the shows were recorded?

• FeelItComing

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I am pretty sure he said it in this chat. Let me know if I got it wrong. I may have. I am relying on memory I have not watched it again since it came out.

• Interesting to see Nic release some production footage from live shows.

I guess if it's released, a lot will come down to the sound quality and splicing audio mistakes perhaps, hence maybe why nothings certain until they have a proper cut finalised of each song.

• I think that The Last Domino will be audio and video- but in future 2-3 years.

It'll take them that long to string together the 'acceptable' bits to get something that resembles a complete concert. The ultimate editing challenge, I would suggest.

• To be honest, more than the last video, I would like something new from previous years. We have a lot of good video from the last tour on Youtube - the Birmingham video is of great quality. The band should pay attention to these older live videos - 1977, 1978, 1981, 1983 and finally 1986. :) There is practically nothing there.

• Well....we know that two full rehearsal shows were recorded before the tour, just in case it never happened due to the pandemic.

We also know that there were numerous cameras on the musicians for the live screens. It is safe to assume that plenty of footage has been saved from these. It's not the 80s where that would mean hundreds of miles of videotape per show.

It's also safe to assume that some sort of audio recording will exist of many if not all shows. But it might not be the kind of audio recording technique used if they had fully intended to release a live album or video (pick your favourite format).

Tony Banks has stated that they did record it all. I assume he refers to what I've typed above, though for all we know there's something more such as a couple of shows being more comprehensively audio recorded.

Now both Tony and Nic have alluded to the possibility that the decision not to release anything might be revisited in a couple of years.

Now...sure...I'd love a full video of the Mama tour or whatever....but I do wonder just how much exists? Prior to that did they even videotape/film a full show? What kind of audio exists for those older tours? A cassette from the soundboard can be made to sound pretty good but we're talking Genesis Live, not Three Sides Live.

• I did not know. They actually recorded 2 full rehearsals during the pandemic? Uuuuuuuuu. This is surprising information for me. There is definitely a lot of material from the rehearsals. Phil himself wrote that ALL Genesis rehearsals were recorded. He wrote it in 2004. I just don't know if it's audio or video. And I'm sure these tapes are now in the Concord archives. I wrote - we are waiting. Concord must definitely get its money back, and there will be something to be released in a year or two. :) And it's something new that will guarantee a large flow of money. The only question is what. Surely the shows in the 80s were recorded - like the Toronto from 1986. There is a great picture, but we don't know what about the audio sound. That's what sound engineers are for. We are waiting, we will see what will happen. Academic intuition tells me that we will see some new Genesis videos by the end of 2024. Will we see rehearsals though? This is hard to say.

• Phil himself wrote that ALL Genesis rehearsals were recorded. He wrote it in 2004. I just don't know if it's audio or video. And I'm sure these tapes are now in the Concord archives. I wrote - we are waiting. Concord must definitely get its money back, and there will be something to be released in a year or two. :) And it's something new that will guarantee a large flow of money. The only question is what.

It's highly unlikely that material such a rehearsal tapes will be part of what Concord have bought.

Also, quite a few large song catalogues from major artists have been bought over recent years by the 'financiers'. I don't see any examples of them releasing the kind of output you are suggesting that Concord will. Believe me, if there was serious money to be made, you'd have seen a flood of product on the market by now.

• What's been bought is the publishing rights to extant songs. So the new owners make money by licensing the music to advertisers, politicians....or by finding new ways to sell the music to us. Since every album has been remastered to death a thousand times, it's difficult to see what they can do in that regard. \

Phil used to keep rehearsal tapes himself, and soundboard tapes from concerts....indeed it is heavily rumoured that some of the better quality bootlegs out there were leaked by Mr. Collins himself as a gift to fans.

I doubt they kept "all the rehearsals". They rehearsed for weeks on end, hours per day....one album might well have produced a closet full of cassette tapes or DATs. Even so, what will exist is still hours and hours of ideas that didn't work, noodling, mistakes, mis-steps and so on.....to have the guys listen to it all and someone actually prepare a reasonable (say four hour) release for one album's rehearsal sessions is quite a task.

What we do know, because it was announced officially, is that two full dress rehearsal shows of The Last Domino were recorded in 4K vision and 7.1 sound, I believe. With the intention that all the effort put into rehearsing the music and creating the stage/light show not go to waste in the event that the tour couldn't take place due to Covid. The raw footage is in the can, waiting to be edited. Though those performances are probably not as good as the latter stages of the tour...even fan videos show that the band was totally on fire by the final leg and Phil's voice improved.

What we don't know is the extent to which those later gigs were recorded. There will be video from the cameras doing close-ups of the musicians for the big screens. But was the light show captured? There will be audio from the sound board but are there full multi-track recordings enabling a thoroughly professional mix to be made? Or would they go back to the dress rehearsals?

I'd love to hear more, and see more from the past tour videos. The Mama Tour VHS is nice but it's not a complete concert. Was the complete concert filmed? Does the original film/tape still exist? We fans might well enjoy something of lesser quality just to see/hear it....but a general release will need to sell to hundreds of thousands of people if it's going to make money....so will need to be top quality.

• Really well put in terms of facts, likelihoods and logical questions. There will of course continue to be endless speculation and picking-over of every possible, unlikely and utterly fantastical scenario but your post is very refreshing anyway.

Abandon all reason

• It's highly unlikely that material such a rehearsal tapes will be part of what Concord have bought.

Also, quite a few large song catalogues from major artists have been bought over recent years by the 'financiers'. I don't see any examples of them releasing the kind of output you are suggesting that Concord will. Believe me, if there was serious money to be made, you'd have seen a flood of product on the market by now.

I suspect you are right, but see my comment on the "Genesis sell publishing rights" thread or whatever it's called regarding the Pink Floyd catalog. They released a ridiculous 33 cd set covering the early years (cost $600 or something obscene, I wasn't aware of it until I read the article and certainly don't own it). The expectation was that the next set would cover the glory years but that material was held back supposedly because the catalog is more valuable with unreleased material in it. How truthful is this? Buggered if I know. But it's an interesting alternative to the idea that the 300 million purely allows them to keep profiting off streaming and selling the odd tune to a commercial director.