7 October | Genesis live in GLASGOW | reports **SPOILERS**

• Man i would not like to be the first person to annoy me if i travelled over to Glasgow dis morning and only found out about the postponement there

Hope you're all enjoying your night anyway, i would have to get pissed out of my head :D

• Is it true Tony stormed off stage without taking a bow last night? Reading this on Twitter.

I read that too. From my vantage point right at the front, I didn't see what I'd call "storming off". At the point I'd expect them to take bows, TB simply got up from his stool and walked off. The others simply followed. I suppose as he's nearest the exit, his leaving dictated that the others had no choice but there was no exchange of confused looks between them or anything like that. In fact, it had the air of something that had been agreed beforehand. Why that would be, only they'd know.

It certainly wasn't as though Banks looked furious, slammed a fist down on his keyboard, kicked his stool over, threw his arms in the air and stomped to the exit swearing loudly. Had he done so, it would've been worth the ticket price on its own.

Abandon all reason

• Man i would not like to be the first person to annoy me if i travelled over to Glasgow dis morning and only found out about the postponement there

Hope you're all enjoying your night anyway, i would have to get pissed out of my head :D

Compared to some in the postponement thread, I got off lightly. I only travelled from Inverness, and I got to see the show. Mrs B travelled down to join me today, then we got the news. The irony is, for convenience I'd booked us into a hotel next to the arena, having stayed last night in the city centre. So that's where we are now, in our hotel room, with a view of the arena.

Earlier we had a lovely vietnamese meal, browsed shops and a gallery and sank a couple of cocktails in a nice bar in the very agreeable district of Finnieston. We've managed to have a pleasant day at no huge expense. I really feel for the guys in the other thread who travelled from outside the UK, this is especially rough on them.

Abandon all reason

• I read that too. From my vantage point right at the front, I didn't see what I'd call "storming off". At the point I'd expect them to take bows, TB simply got up from his stool and walked off. The others simply followed. I suppose as he's nearest the exit, his leaving dictated that the others had no choice but there was no exchange of confused looks between them or anything like that. In fact, it had the air of something that had been agreed beforehand. Why that would be, only they'd know.

It certainly wasn't as though Banks looked furious, slammed a fist down on his keyboard, kicked his stool over, threw his arms in the air and stomped to the exit swearing loudly. Had he done so, it would've been worth the ticket price on its own.

It sounds like something was clearly amiss last night but they soldiered on.

• Makes me laugh when articles say, Phil has sat at some of the shows and Phil was last off the stage last night.

Like really. This Journos are just clueless hacks thesedays with zero knowledge

• I feel very bad for the band and the fans... Judging from the videos, their performances were getting better and better (They were not bad of course, but this Glasgow performance is very, very good).

Particularly Phil's timing. Really impressive. I think doing music and shows could be his medication...

By the way, He kind of forgot to sing the second verse on Turn It On Again during a few seconds... Funny. The performance is here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb6_LMyJ12g

• I feel very bad for the band and the fans... Judging from the videos, their performances were getting better and better (They were not bad of course, but this Glasgow performance is very, very good).

Particularly Phil's timing. Really impressive. I think doing music and shows could be his medication...

By the way, He kind of forgot to sing the second verse on Turn It On Again during a few seconds... Funny. The performance is here...

yeah i noticed that as well last night.

• I read that too. From my vantage point right at the front, I didn't see what I'd call "storming off". At the point I'd expect them to take bows, TB simply got up from his stool and walked off. The others simply followed. I suppose as he's nearest the exit, his leaving dictated that the others had no choice but there was no exchange of confused looks between them or anything like that. In fact, it had the air of something that had been agreed beforehand. Why that would be, only they'd know.

Looks like maybe they were distancing, avoiding the bows awaiting a test result.? Shame . I've seen Genesis 11 times now plus obviously lots on TV DVD etc. A highlight has the been TBs sheer joy of playing shining through. Always smiling and waving at the crowd, especially when he gets introduced .

• Looks like maybe they were distancing, avoiding the bows awaiting a test result.? Shame . I've seen Genesis 11 times now plus obviously lots on TV DVD etc. A highlight has the been TBs sheer joy of playing shining through. Always smiling and waving at the crowd, especially when he gets introduced .

😂😂...always the highlight of the night...gives Freddie Mercury a run for his money!

I feel they were always aiming to finish the UK tour in London strong, building up as they went along before hitting America.

I feel the UK fans are more forgiving than perhaps some of the American markets, I hope it all goes positively over there for everyone.

This tour is a bonus, seeing all four of them again, plus the beginnings of Nic is a great thing to cherish.

• Christian

Changed the title of the thread from “7, 8 October | Genesis live in GLASGOW | reports **SPOILERS**” to “7 October | Genesis live in GLASGOW | reports **SPOILERS**”.
  • I feel they were always aiming to finish the UK tour in London strong, building up as they went along before hitting America.

I feel the UK fans are more forgiving than perhaps some of the American markets, I hope it all goes positively over there for everyone.

This tour is a bonus, seeing all four of them again, plus the beginnings of Nic is a great thing to cherish.

I think Phil said that London is usually a more difficult audience than the rest of the UK.

Once again, too bad the last shows were cancelled, as Phil was getting stronger. He was more confident with his voice on that last gig (On Mama, during the bridge, when he sings "Now listen to me Mama, Mama, Mama...", usually he would go down on the last "Mama", singing an Eb, but in Glasgow he chose to go up to a G - like the original melody).

Quite strong, considering his condition. And it proves objectively he was getting better over time.

Your last sentence summarises the purpose of the tour.

• 😆

I do wonder if the pandemic will make us all experts at 'rolling with the punches' or whether the opposite will happen. This end to the current leg of the tour is very unfortunate, strange and somehow unsurprising in equal measure. Feel for the people who made elaborate plans involving travel and enormous cost.

• Hello all. I’ve just joined this forum so hello and thanks to all! I was at the Glasgow gig and this is the review (of sorts) that I posted elsewhere:

I was also at the Glasgow gig last night. - After a fun day’s record shopping (first time I’ve done that in many a moon…). I enjoyed the gig immensely but my thoughts are still a little jumbled… Things I thought include:

It was great to be at a gig again after so long.

It was great to see so many like-minded people and so many from the EU.

Even though I was quite prepared, I was shocked by just how frail Phil is.

That said, although his voice has a somewhat different tone now his vocals were many, many times better than I though they would be and any initial shortcomings were quickly forgotten.

But - he really needed an autocue. There were some lyrical collisions; rather too many really… I don’t think Duchess was right. That’s All was a bit of a train wreck. He missed the denouement to Home By The Sea completely.

Strangely, he was much better at remembering the PG-era lyrics…. (Though he had a senior moment in DWTMK).

None of the above really mattered. - In fact it kind of added to the intimate, celebratory nature of the evening.

Yes ‘intimate’. - Whilst this is a big production in a huge arena the fact that the ‘front man’ is seated centre stage with a simple side table and a bottle of water gave it a sort of small theatre vibe. It made his spoken and sung parts somehow more direct, more personal. And that impression was from towards the back of the hall.

The opening Duke instrumental suffered from a few odd timing issues. I don’t know who was responsible but Nic seemed a bit thrown off his stride at times. That worried me but they regained their momentum soon after and were possibly tighter than the last couple of times I’ve seen them.

Nic. Phenomenal. Simple as that. - I had worried in advance that the lack of two drummers would leave a big hole. And it perhaps didn’t quite work in one or two places where one is so used to the previous live versions where Phil and Chester were allowed to give it full throttle. But (and this is important!) I thought that the older instrumental stuff was the most ‘authentic’ I have ever heard it in a live setting (not having seen the Gabriel lineup). At those times, having just one (brilliant) drummer just like it used to be worked much better for me…

I’m still processing it all really. But the overall impression was of a wonderful and, at times, emotional evening. The fact that I even found myself enjoying Invisible Touch says it all really…!

Yes Phil does look like a sleepy tortoise or a baby owl. But that’s not his fault and that man can absolutely still sing. A brave and, in the final analysis, triumphant performance and a top night out!

• moomaloo nice review. It was emotional for me too-thinking that at the time it was the last time(hopefully I can go to a rescheduled O2) I wasn't expecting 2007 again like some fans- so I was overjoyed that the music still had the same feel as it always had done despite the difficulty's.

I feel badly for those that missed out and were coming from afar. I hope that they can see/afford the rescheduled dates.

• Aside from the the abrupted halt that happened, it looks like the UK tour ended quite well by the comments and videos I have seen.

Unfortunately, the expected London O2 climatic ending did not happen and still remains to be rescheduled. Hopefully it will be but with so many variables (especially Phil), it is not 100% IMHO.

Interesting for me, I have not seen Genesis with only one drummer since the Lamb tour in 1974! of course we are not talking similar eras here, but it stands out for me in particular. I love that on the 2007 tour I got the chance to ever see that killer drumming duo was highlighted for the stool duel that really showcased Phil and Chester at their finest hour.

• Aside from the the abrupted halt that happened, it looks like the UK tour ended quite well by the comments and videos I have seen.

Unfortunately, the expected London O2 climatic ending did not happen and still remains to be rescheduled. Hopefully it will be but with so many variables (especially Phil), it is not 100% IMHO.

Interesting for me, I have not seen Genesis with only one drummer since the Lamb tour in 1974! of course we are not talking similar eras here, but it stands out for me in particular. I love that on the 2007 tour I got the chance to ever see that killer drumming duo was highlighted for the stool duel that really showcased Phil and Chester at their finest hour.

It's a shame their relationship deteriated so badly in 2010.

• Feel very lucky to have seen this version of Genesis on the Thursday night in Glasgow.

Sorry to see Belfast & Dublin cancelled & just hope Glasgow 2 will go ahead.

The last time I saw them was Milton Keynes 1982, so its been a while and at least I wasn't standing getting soaked in the rain this time.

Not surprisingly the band did seem nervous initially, particularly during the semi acoustic set . A few missed lines from Phil. However a huge amount of appreciation for PC throughout from the audience which was heartwarming.

What I love about live music is that its never guaranteed and the key to this gig was the run of songs following the acoustic section. So Duchess , No Son of Mine ( Phil's best vocal performance of the night), Firth of Fifth, I Know What I Like, Domino & Throwing It All Away, were all excellent. In particular I loved Daryll Stuermers slightly bent out of shape Firth of Fifth. Not note for note & made his own. Superb.

I could have changed some of the later songs e.g.Abacab & anything from Duke instead of Invisible Touch & Can't dance but no real complaints. Finished on Carpet Crawlers which was perfect.

Probably the most emotional gig I have been at in 42 years of gigging in Glasgow. Post Pandemic, Last Genesis Tour.