RIP Thread!!

• Piper Laurie, who played Carrie's mother to perfection in the film 'Carrie' and who I also knew from being in Twin Peaks as Catherine Martell died age 91. She was in Frasier too although I don't remember her role. Twice nominated for an Oscar and I think won a golden globe for Twin Peaks. Very satisfying career to have had and a good old age to make it to. Rip.

• Matthew Perry. RIP.

This one really hurts. Friends isn't the highest brow cultural mark but it was one of the most elemental parts of the cultural tapestry when I was growing up, woven into the 90s the same as the Beatles and the moon landing in the 60s, Pink Floyd and the Vietnam war in the 70s and live aid and Chernobyl in the 80s. He was always my favorite Friend too. The humor/sarcasm as a defensive mechanism, his vulnerability in the face of what society expects a man to be, his sheer wit. So brilliantly depicted. He made a couple of passable movies with Bruce Willis, and was in a tremendous show called studio 60 on the sunset strip that was cruelly cancelled after a season I think. He had well documented issues with substance abuse. He was only 54.

God damn it sucks. I don't really believe in mystical things or an afterlife or such, but admit I can't know and hope that he's at peace. Rip and thanks for the laughs.

Edit: I remember reading somewhere along the way that his favorite song was Peter Gabriel's Don't Give Up. Which seems extra poignant now.

• Ah dear. Poor old Shane MacGowan has died. As an Irish expatriate, the Pogues' Christmas song and the lines about "the boys of the NYPD choir... singing Galway Bay" have always reminded me of childhood Christmases and would make me feel a sense of missingness at that time of year. That feeling will be deeply accentuated this year. Seems a lot to have had him and Sinead O'Connor die the same year. Though it's something of a miracle Shane hung in as long as he did!

Also Kissinger, the old cunt, is dead and gone. Good riddance.

• Ah dear. Poor old Shane MacGowan has died. As an Irish expatriate, the Pogues' Christmas song and the lines about "the boys of the NYPD choir... singing Galway Bay" have always reminded me of childhood Christmases and would make me feel a sense of missingness at that time of year. That feeling will be deeply accentuated this year. Seems a lot to have had him and Sinead O'Connor die the same year. Though it's something of a miracle Shane hung in as long as he did!

Also Kissinger, the old cunt, is dead and gone. Good riddance.

just found out. Very sad. I think Shane would have appreciated your description of Kissinger.

• Denny Laine, real name Brian Hines, originally in Denny Laine & the Diplomats, with Bev Bevan (ELO) and Nicky James (who ended up working with Ray Thomas on his solo albums) then a founding Member of the Moody Blues, famously grabbing No 1 with "Go Now" (which arguably lays claim to first promotional "film" for a song, shot in a room at the back of the Marquee), and bearing some similarities to the video for Bohemian Rhapsody which claims first video, as opposed to film. Go Now was a cover, but he and Mike Pinder wrote many songs during this period, I recommend Boulevard De La Madeleine, and the very rare People Gotta Go. They were the support for the Beatles during their final tour, hence the link to Paul McCartney, and Wings was to be his most notable period of success, but while he may not have taken the Moodies to their eventual heights, his contribution was vital in getting them there.

I was playing disc 2 of the "Magnificent Moodies" box only a couple of weeks back, raw early pop/r'n'b but pretty good, the box included 3 takes of Go Now. Sadly, that time has come for Denny. RIP.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Annie Nightingale: Trailblazing Radio 1 DJ dies

Back in the mid 70s, along with John Peel, one of the few DJs on Radio 1 worth listening to :(

That's very sad news. She was a fixture in my formative music listening in the 70s and 80s, on radio and TV - the latter as one-time presenter of Old Grey Whistle Test. Significantly for us here she presented the edition that featured excerpts from the famous 1980 Lyceum gig.

Abandon all reason

• Annie Nightingale: Trailblazing Radio 1 DJ dies

Back in the mid 70s, along with John Peel, one of the few DJs on Radio 1 worth listening to :(

More an Alan Freeman man myself, but yes, such a shame. Remembered by me mainly for the 4 one hour episodes of "The Moody Blues Story" to coincide with their reformation and upcoming UK tour, where I finally got to see my heroes live. For some reason, my mum was always a follower of hers. Not a match I ever understood entirely, but all good.

RIP Annie!

Ian

• I think it's her (but I'm French, so I can't relate to this sad news very much unfortunately, I never saw her on TV)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I think it's her (but I'm French, so I can't relate to this sad news very much unfortunately, I never saw her on TV)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

That is her, yes!

Ian

• A few goodbyes from the last few weeks:

Franz Beckenbauer, star footballer and manager, widely regarded as one of the greatest ever.

Glynis Johns, actor and singer, possibly best known as the suffragette mother Mrs Banks in Mary Poppins but that was just one role in a career lasting about 70 years.

David Soul, best known for Starsky & Hutch and also had hit singles.

JPR Williams, one of rugby's greatest fullbacks, played for Wales and the British Lions.

Laurie Johnson, composer who created memorable TV theme tunes including The Avengers/The New Avengers, This Is Your Life, Animal Magic and The Professionals. Terrific body of work - creating short pieces of music that embed themselves in the minds of generations.

Abandon all reason

• Farewell to musicians Karl Wallinger originally of The Waterboys then his own band World Party, and Eric Carmen initially of The Raspberries then later a solo artist (he had a big hit with All By Myself).

Abandon all reason

• There's been an outpouring of love for Karl Wallinger. I suppose I never realised he was so loved.

I love every WP album and always thought it a shame he/they weren't a bit more popular.

But he was obviously a very talented guy. I always hoped we'd be getting some new material from him one day...

• Steve Harley has died aged 73. I confess I didn't know much beyond Make Me Smile, but I've always really liked that song and associate it with my parents as being music of their vintage. Rip.