9. 07 points - satisfactory - (0) 0%
    10. 06 points - sufficient + (0) 0%
    11. 05 points - sufficient (0) 0%
    12. 04 points - sufficient - (0) 0%
    13. 03 points - poor + (0) 0%
    14. 02 points - poor (0) 0%
    15. 01 points - poor - (0) 0%
    16. 00 points - abysmal (0) 0%

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread. If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

MIKE + THE MECHANICS - Silent Running
    Year: 1985
    Album: Mike + The Mechanics
    Working title:
    Credits: Robertson/Rutherford
    Lyrics: Yes
    Length: 3:12
    Musicians: Paul Carrack, Mike Rutherford, Adrian Lee, Peter van Hooke
    Played live: 1986, 1989, 1995, 1996, 2012-2019
    Cover versions: Hidden Citizens

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Notes: The Mechanics scored a hit right from the start and Silent Running has been a fan favorite ever since. Carrack's incisive voice and the qualities of the songwriting team Rutherford/Robertson formed a flawless pop-rock song that easily broke the 4-minute barrier. Although it was always a classic in the live set, the band dropped the track in 1999 - it returned in 2012 and Mike remarkably commented, "for the first time it sounds really good!".
  • The best songs sound like they were unearthed by the artist, as opposed to written. As if the song was a preformed gem that has always existed and just needed to be discovered by the author. Silent Running is one of those songs I think. Like In The Air Tonight, Turn It On Again, Mama.

Outstanding. You might say it's too portentous, but I think it captures perfectly a tense kind of terror of the same type Stephen King captured in books like Firestarter. A type of fear unique to childhood. At least I remember it made me feel uneasy as a kid. Brilliant song. Wish they had done a lot more work like that.

• I always thought this was one of their finest. It sounds like tantalizing fragment from a much larger work. Alan Murphy's guitar solo has a great sense of melody - sad, almost wistful.

• Great song, great lyrics, probably thanks to B A Robertson as much as Mike, Paul Carrack's great performance too. Can't help feeling the comment "for the first time it sounds really good!" is Rutherford's sour grapes at the events of Paul's departure. He does seem to bear grudges!

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Official Post

I found it strange that this track was not part of the set in 1999 and also noch during the first tour with Roachford and Howar. It then re-appeared in 2012 and Mike indeed said "for the first time it sounds right".

One of their their best!

• I like it and gave it ten. I loved Smallcreep’s Day, found most of AVS unlistenable and then thought this was a return to form when I bought it as a single. I also liked the B Side. Since then I’ve felt that the Mechanics have become the ultimate day time radio 2 band, alongside the Corrs etc - nothing wrong with that but it’s not quite what I’m after. But I should give the albums a fair spin as I’m probably judging too much by the singles.