TONY BANKS - The Fugitive - 40th release anniversary

• Official Post

Yes, 40 years ago today, THE FUGITIVE was released.

Our review:

https://www.genesis-news.com/c…itive-CD-review-s405.html

Your thoughts? Any comments? Highlights?

• I bought this when it came out, and I was a bit disappointed with it. I didn't think it contained as much "Genesis-ness" (Genesisosity?) as Curious Feeling.

Some time ago I realised that I actually like it a lot and it is comfortably my favourite TB solo work. And conversely I don't think ACF has aged well at all.

It's got that 80s immediacy which isn't there for ACF. I suppose his voice takes a bit of getting used to, but I think it really suits the songs.

I think my favourite tracks are By You, This is Love, and the At The Edge of Night.

• I bought this when it was new, and it's still among my favorite Genesis-related solo albums. Favorite tracks are "And the Wheels Keep Turning" (which I actually heard on the radio once) and "By You."

I always got a kick out of "Charm." To me it sounds like some kind of twisted fashion-show music.

"Tony Banks, keyboarder and creative head of Genesis, released his second solo album."

Technically, it was the third. The WICKED LADY soundtrack was the second.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain. And most do."

-- Dale Carnegie

• I bought this when it was new, and it's still among my favorite Genesis-related solo albums. Favorite tracks are "And the Wheels Keep Turning" (which I actually heard on the radio once) ...

Steve Wright played it on his (at the time) BBC Radio1 daytime show. I was amazed and he immediately went up in my estimation.

• It's very odd in a good way, my favorite TB solo by far and one of my favorite Genesis solo releases. Closest he came to wearing his heart on his sleeve and it sold like 3 copies which is a shame but not a surprise at all - it sounds clunky compared to the commercial fare of the time. I still like listening to it.

• Official Post

It certainly has some interesting moments. I also like Tony’s voice. I always wonder why he didn’t sing on a genesis track every now and then

• It's very odd in a good way, my favorite TB solo by far and one of my favorite Genesis solo releases. Closest he came to wearing his heart on his sleeve and it sold like 3 copies which is a shame but not a surprise at all - it sounds clunky compared to the commercial fare of the time. I still like listening to it.

I do realise how hyperbole works, but The Fugitive did make the UK top 50.

• I have contended for a while that if they re-released this album with no changes to the music or artwork but said it was a 2014 album from an unknown artist from Brooklyn, it would make some waves in the indie rock community.

The stuff that made this record seem cringey when I got to it in the mid to late 90s (I started getting into Genesis family stuff a little after WCD came out) have circled around to being positives: the 80s synth sounds, the production, and Tony's wispy-yet-sincere vocals are all kinda cool now. It is of its time, but that time has been mined repeatedly for the last 15+ years.

I think I like A Curious Feeling more for the lush 70s prog of it all, but I will always have a soft spot for The Fugitive.

• My favorite album by Tony. My favorite tracks include This Is Love, And the Wheels Keep Turning, and Charm. I also quite like TB’s voice. To me it’s got a sort of Al Stewart vibe to it. To my American ear it’s a very “British” style of singing. From what I’ve read Phil suggested that Tony sing the lead on Silver Rainbow, but Tony declined. Given the sound of Tony’s voice on The Fugitive I think singing lead on Silver Rainbow would have worked well.

• I have contended for a while that if they re-released this album with no changes to the music or artwork but said it was a 2014 album from an unknown artist from Brooklyn, it would make some waves in the indie rock community.

The stuff that made this record seem cringey when I got to it in the mid to late 90s (I started getting into Genesis family stuff a little after WCD came out) have circled around to being positives: the 80s synth sounds, the production, and Tony's wispy-yet-sincere vocals are all kinda cool now. It is of its time, but that time has been mined repeatedly for the last 15+ years.

I think I like A Curious Feeling more for the lush 70s prog of it all, but I will always have a soft spot for The Fugitive.

A very nice summary. I only disagree re ACF, which I dislike for the same reason you prefer it!

Fugitive stands out for me, mainly as it's the only one that has the stamp of TB being a solo artist, obviously helped largely by his singing it all. It's also the best showcase out of all his solo rock work for the innate pop catchiness that was always there even in the proggier parts of his Genesis work.

I especially like By You - those changes at the end of verse 3, oh man! - and Charm, which is crying out to be used in a comedy crime caper film. It's both bright and shiny, yet also lugubrious and a bit doleful. How did he manage that?!

Abandon all reason