Phil Collins - Going Back (album)

• Hi

Couldn’t find a thread about this so I created one.

I just read on Facebook that Phil’s last album “Going back” was released 13 Years ago. Can’t believe how time flies.

Still like the album. It has a great atmosphere.
    Favorite tracks:

Going back

Ain’t too proud to beg

Girl

In my lonely room

what about you?

... make tomorrow today!

• I'm listening to it these days.

Uptight (Everything's Alright).

Take Me In Your Arms.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone.

Standing In The Shadows Of Love.

Going Back.

Great Motown music! 8)

Edited once, last by rkive ().

• I love Phil as much as anyone but I never had the slightest interest in this album. You Can't Hurry Love was enough. The songs are too well known, the originals will never be surpassed (especially Papa Was A Rolling Stone). I know Phil loves Motown but I didn't want to hear it.

• I quite like the album, I think it was a good decision to keep the nature and sound of the originals. Favorite tracks are Papa was a Rolling Stone, Heatwave, Standing in the shadows of love, Love is here and now you're gone, Dancing in the street and the title track.

• Similar to FeelItComing I've never had any motivation to listen to it. I've even got it, as part of the remastered full package when I saw it going super-cheap in HMV. I suppose that, physically owning it, I should put it on someday.

Abandon all reason

• Very similar here. Got it, listened to a couple of tracks and I appreciated the care that had been taken to recreate the Motown sound. However, nobody was going to match the originals, not even Phil, and his voice wasn't suited to many of the songs even if he loved them.

It might just be me though. With the band and most of the individual members my interest in new material diminished after certain points in time. In Phil's case "Going Back" was beyond the event horizon for me.

• Official Post

I don't listen to this album a lot anymore, but enjoy it every time i do. Obviously. Papa Was A Rolling Stone is a key track and there are plenty of other enjoyable tracks. I am not the biggest fan of the title track, though ....

• I did not really like his later output, this abum being a little exception. A nice way to wrap up one's career, actually. I am quite happy he didn't try to reinvent those songs.

• Of all his albums, this is my least favorite. Probably because I am not really into cover albums. A song here and there on his albums is okay, but a whole album takes away a lot for me ...

• Official Post

By the way - I like the special edition with all 29 tracks on it. I found it rather strange the track list was cut down for the Take a look at me now re-issue campaign.

• The original release of this album was strange.

Why they just never pushed the full 29 tracks instead of having a cut version and then a limited extended version.

He promoted it so little as well, so didn't make sense to release 2 versions.

Another Tony Smith Marketing idea

• Like others, I have had no interest in this album and have only heard a few tracks. I respect that Phil loves this song catalogue (as do I) and enjoys singing these songs. I don't care to hear him be a Motown cover artist.

• Like others, I have had no interest in this album and have only heard a few tracks. I respect that Phil loves this song catalogue (as do I) and enjoys singing these songs. I don't care to hear him be a Motown cover artist.

That sums up my feelings, although I haven't heard any of Phil's covers from this album