50th Anniversary - GENESIS: Selling England By The Pound - some questions for you

• 1. When did you buy Selling England By The Pound (or have received it as a gift)?

Around 2002/2003

2. How old were you when Selling England was released?

3. Was Selling England your first Genesis album? If not, how many Genesis albums did you own before getting Selling??

No. We Can't Dance was my first. I don't know exactly but I'm guessing I had about 16 or 17 Genesis albums if you include the live albums and TIOA:The Hits from 99 and the 2 Archive boxsets. I got the majority of the 70's albums around 2002/2003 but not sure of the order.

4. If you had to rank all Genesis albums, where does Selling England stand?

Today, about 5.

5. Which track was your favourite when you bought the album?

I Know What I Like

6. Which track is your favourite today?

The Cinema Show maybe. Firth would have stood a better chance if it had better lyrics.

7. Which track do you think is the best track on the record despite your own taste?

Dancing With The Moonlit Knight perhaps.

8. How many versions of the album have you bought / owned? (Vinyl, CD, Remaster, Cassette, SACD etc)

Just the one. The DER released in the 90s.

• 1. When did you buy Selling England By The Pound (or have received it as a gift)?

3. Was Selling England your first Genesis album? If not, how many Genesis albums did you own before getting Selling??

I owned 3 albums before.

9th

Firth of Fifth

Cinema Show

7. Which track do you think is the best track on the record despite your own taste?

Dancing with the moonlit knight

8. How many versions of the album have you bought / owned? (Vinyl, CD, Remaster, Cassette, SACD etc)

Cassette + CD definitive remaster

I bought iy around 78, I guess, I was buying or borrowing Genesis albums in a very random order

almost 10

It wasn't, I borrowed Foxtrot, that was my first then Trick and Trespass, then NC and ATTW3, finally SEBTP and te Lamb

2nd personally, after Trick, a very, very close second though

FoF, I guess.

Cinema show is IMO together with Supper's Ready and The Musical Box the holy trinity in Genesis' songbook. Least favorite, After the Ordeal, I used to like it when I bought the album but in time, I just got tired of it.

Good question, it does diverge sometimes, for instance I love MMM on Trick but I think Entangled is the best track. Here, it matches, the Cinema Show

Vinyl, CD, remaster.

First time: when I was a Freshman in High School, so.....I think, 15? That would've been 1996.

I wasn't born until the year Abacab came out!

No. I had Shapes, Invisible Touch, WCD, and most of the live releases by then. It WAS my first Peter Gabriel era album!

probably...#5 for me.

The Cinema Show (I bought the album after hearing I know what I Like, Firth of Fifth and Cinema Show on Seconds Out and The Way We Walk - the Longs.)

Dancing With the Moonlit Knight

Firth of Fifth (an undeniable masterpiece, and very representative of Genesis' sound)

three: 94 Remaster CD, 2008 "green box" CD version in 5.1 surround, and most recently the 2018 half-speed mastered vinyl reissue.

About 1983

Nope. It started with Duke for me, then Seconds Out, Trespass, Abacab, And Then There Were Three, The Lamb, Foxtrot and Three Sides Live

Always in my Top 5, which usually consist of Selling, The Lamb, Trick, Wind & Wuthering and Seconds Out. The order changes depending on mood.

Cinema Show

Firth of Fifth

Firth of Fifth. Love the near-classical arrangement.

Cassette, vinyl, CD and 5.1

~2008

No, I think I had 4 ahead of it (Duke, Abacab, 3SL, "shapes")

4th

Cinema Show

Firth of Fifth

Firth of Fifth

At least two CD releases

• Sure, will do. I know 100% sure is quite a statement but by that stage I was buying every new Genesis album and single on the day of release and know it hadn't come out when I saw them in Manchester on 6th October, I was hearing all the new material for the first time.

• 1.When did you buy Selling England By The Pound (or have received it as a gift)?

Not sure . I think around 1979

No. Trick was the first . I think I bought all the other Genesis albums available at the time before I bought Selling.

4. The four albums they made in a row starting with this one are IMO the best run of 4 albums made by anyone. My top 4.ATOTT, W&W TLLDOB and SEBTP

Cinema Show although I always prefer the Seconds Out version.

DWTMK. Probably due to over hearing CS.

Odd question. Best music is always subjective. So the answer is as above.

Original on Mad Hatter and blue label.

Remastered vinyl in Box. Definitive CD and SACD in Box

In school aged about 15 in 1983.

About six!

No, it was about the third one I bought.

It's one of my faves. Genesis Shapes and Trespass being my top two!!

I know what I like...

Cinema Show

Firth Of Fifth - couldn't get behind it as Phil would say though when I was 15..

Record, cd, remastered cd, remixed cd...

"She looks at me and gently smiles, as if she knew I'd ask her all the time..."

• Official Post

Mozo - thanks for liking the above post, which is a copy of mine on page 1 with the addition of a commercial link added to the quote panel. Just so you know.

Backdrifter if you find something like this, please report the post. This makes it easier for me to follow up and take the appropriate action. Thanks