New Genesis Album?

• Well, if the Beatles can release a new song, I'd imagine, it wouldn't be too difficult to find some old demos and have the band use the same AI tech for Peter and Phil and add new instrumentals to release?

I'm sure Mr Smith would be happy releasing a new £££ maker.

• Banks claimed there is 'nothing left in the vault'. Even if that's not true there is absolutely no chance any of them would consider this idea. File under Never Going To Happen.

Abandon all reason

• Banks claimed there is 'nothing left in the vault'. Even if that's not true there is absolutely no chance any of them would consider this idea. File under Never Going To Happen.

Tony says a lot of things, but doesn't mean it's true.

They must have thousand of live shows etc for example never released just like what BBC done with Nick Davis.

I know Phil has unreleased recorded solo songs, plus no doubt Demos as well, so it wouldn't shock me if the band archives had stuff even unfinished

I'd imagine they have dozens of jamming session recordings that could be quality enough to release even and other instrumentals as well for example.

Edited once, last by choccy ().

• Tony says a lot of things, but doesn't mean it's true.

AS I SAID - even if there is stuff that could be given this treatment, they won't. IT ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN.

To paraphrase your own words - you or indeed any fan can "say a lot of things", such as the things you said above. You can come out with as much "they must have" and "I'd imagine there's" as you like. It won't make this ludicrous notion come true.

Plus - "dozens of jamming session recordings that could be quality enough to release even and other instrumentals as well for example". I mean - are you actually aware of Genesis? Do you know anything about this band?! What you're suggesting is a whole universe away from the BBC broadcasts project. They aren't, and have never been, a band who release jamming sessions however polished-up they might be.

I realise there'll never be an end to such pointless speculation and demands to know why they can't release their jams, out-takes, rehearsals, tuning-up sessions and lunch orders. But the fact will remain: it won't ever happen.

Abandon all reason

• Yeah it won't happen. We'll just have to settle for things like Freddy Mercury singing Your Own Special Way, and hopefully at some stage Snoop Dogg's version of Supper's Ready (Shizupper's Ready, G).

• Yeah, of course it won't happen, but it's nice to think, that there is always a possibility of something.

This band is notorious for having everything as perfect as possible, hence why at the time the didn't film Six of the Best and Peter removed the recording microphones off the stage.

Obviously now they regret it, but even after so many years, they still have the stubborn streak in them. Only have to see Peters stance in not coming back to the band and also how many centuries he takes to release an album.

But its good to hope that there could be something else out there, even if the band say not.

• Yeah, of course it won't happen, but it's nice to think, that there is always a possibility of something.

But its good to hope that there could be something else out there, even if the band say not.

Even as a longtime fan, I'm not sure I agree with any of that. I understand that yearning. But for me, they did what they did and I appreciate the body of work for what it is. Yes I sometimes feel a little frustrated at their intransigence on aspects of their material, and wish we could have seen more comprehensive official releases from their live archive. But I don't like the idea of their rummaging around in the backs of drawers and cupboards and releasing the bits and pieces left lying around in order to keep some petrol fumes circulating. I'm kind of glad that'll never happen.

Abandon all reason

• Yes Phil has said before there's loads of tapes of them jamming (or "blowing" as he puts it") that he thinks are good enough to release... Guessing Tony said no. But when other people are in charge it's possible it'll come out eventually. No telling how many of us will still be alive then.

Banks means there's nothing left that he thinks is worth releasing. But then he said he didn't see the point of live albums as he never listens to them.

You're right there's no chance "any of them would consider this idea"... but when control passes to others it's entirely likely.

• Banks means there's nothing left that he thinks is worth releasing.

This is where I get fuzzy on the whole concept of "the vault". Maybe there are hours of noodling that a tiny number of fans might shell out for and listen to once, but that the band rightfully would have no interest in releasing.

On the other hand, are there songs that almost made it to completion but were abandoned for one reason or another? Is there a prototype of the submarine suite from Abacab, or something else along those lines? Stuff that Tony may judge of no interest but might find wider appreciation with a larger group of fans than the aforementioned hours of noodling might? Stuff above the level of "Snowbound, acoustic snippet #5 (dog's bark version)"?

Beyond very idle speculation like this, I'm not too bothered as it seems there might be not be anything left anyway. And whatever is there is certain to stay put, which is fine. But what's a fan forum for if not the occasional pining for just a bit more juice from the fruit!

If we were really wishing for things, I wish they'd made that second album with Ray. They didn't and here we are 😃.

• You're right there's no chance "any of them would consider this idea"... but when control passes to others it's entirely likely.

So when the band members pass away, you think their families are going to totally ignore their lifetime wishes and just release 'the vaults' material to cash in?

Sorry, I just don't see anything like that happening, ever.

• I put my bets it will be a matter of less than 5 years until some really incredible surprise will be announced - a brandnew compilation featuring more of the same old songs, extra brickwall-limited for all you loudness lovers out there! 8|8):sleeping:

• I put my bets it will be a matter of less than 5 years until some really incredible surprise will be announced - a brandnew compilation featuring more of the same old songs, extra brickwall-limited for all you loudness lovers out there! 8|8):sleeping:

I'd appreciate a new edition of the boxsets on Blu-ray audio - just to make them (especially the 5.1) available again.

• Yeah it won't happen. We'll just have to settle for things like Freddy Mercury singing Your Own Special Way, and hopefully at some stage Snoop Dogg's version of Supper's Ready (Shizupper's Ready, G).

Shizzle's Ready

Foshizzle You, Foshizzle Me

Firth of Fizzle

Tonizzle, Tonizzle, Tonizzle

Happy Friday!

• It would be great to re-release the archive stuff that they did 25 years ago. I didn't know Genesis at that time, and my Mum didn't buy it.

I think this is the only valuable thing they could do, with 5.1 remixes re-releases.

They already did the concerts and live performances a few months ago.

So, nothing new really. When it's done, it's done.

We already have some bootleg studio archives (SEBTP, the Lamb). It's great for us, fans, but I really don't see it released at all. Listening to the band searching and arranging bits over and over again... Actually, they did it for one exception, Mama (work in progress).

• one exception, Mama (work in progress).

I thought about that earlier in the thread. It's the one time they came close to the sort of offcut bits & pieces official release some members here crave. I think it'll remain the sole example. Even then I can imagine Banks grumpily agreeing to it with ill grace.

Abandon all reason

• I honestly think any unreleased stuff still lurking around will be there for one of two reasons.

Firstly it got abandoned because it wasn't any good.

Secondly some works in progress. Personally I would not be interested in either . I wouldn't want to buy rubbish and who would want to buy half a car when they already have a decent one?