Which GENESIS tours did you see?

• Hey, are you going to see The Musical Box November 20th? I see they are playing in Chicago. I have tickets to see them the following weekend in Philly. We saw The Genesis Show tribute band last month in New Jersey and my girlfriend was royally disappointed that they didn't play Supper's Ready (first time I've seen them when they didn't play SR). I've assured her (stupidly perhaps) that TMB will play SR. Just wondering if maybe you would mind posting a short review of TMB concert in the Cover Bands thread (if you see them on the 20th and if you have time). Thanks.

If I had to guess? Maybe not SR. It's such a long piece, I'd assume that unless they are recreating a specific tour where they played it, they'll keep it out, to make room for other songs. I could of course be wrong, but that's my guess.

So, maybe I'm mistaken about that then...

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist…westbury-ny-438aff87.html

• Thanks for taking the time to look that up. From the setlists I’ve seen online since I first asked it looks like sometimes they play SR as the final encore and sometimes they play TMB. Keeping my fingers crossed they play SR in Philly.

According to their site, they are playing 2 shows that night near Philly? I wonder then if they'll play TMB for one of them, and SR for the other. For your sake, I hope you're at an SR show.

I'd never see a tribute band of any kind but good for them for doing LFS.

I respect that decision. I think I was originally a little averse to seeing a "tribute band". But then I started thinking of it less as a tribute band, and more as a night at the symphony or theater. I'm excited to listen to the CSO play a night of Beethoven, or see Les Miserables or something, even though nobody on stage was associated with the actual writing of the music. That's not to say you need to do the same; to each their own. But I'm glad I decided to see TMB (more than a few times now). I didn't get to see Genesis back in the day, so it's nice (for me at least) to experience someone else's version of it. Your mileage may vary, as they say.

• I think I was originally a little averse to seeing a "tribute band". But then I started thinking of it less as a tribute band, and more as a night at the symphony or theater. I'm excited to listen to the CSO play a night of Beethoven, or see Les Miserables or something, even though nobody on stage was associated with the actual writing of the music. That's not to say you need to do the same; to each their own. But I'm glad I decided to see TMB (more than a few times now). I didn't get to see Genesis back in the day, so it's nice (for me at least) to experience someone else's version of it. Your mileage may vary, as they say.

This all makes absolute sense to me and exactly the approach I imagine most attendees at tribute band gigs will have. It's not for me at all but I completely get the appeal. Very interesting, your symphony/theatre take on it. One of my main "eeeuurrrgggh, no!" reactions is when I see slavish recreations of specific Genesis tours, complete with outfits, props etc and the PG performer doing (eg) the 'lawnmower' mime - I've seen a clip of that and it made me cringe. The cringe factor lessens slightly when thought of in your "night at the theatre" context.

I appreciate that do to a decent Genesis tribute show they have to be excellent musicians, kudos to them for that. A band just playing a good mix of 5/4/3-man straight with no theatrical recreation would come closest to tempting me, but ultimately not enough to actually go. Even more so after the Last Domino tour has ended.

Abandon all reason

• According to their site, they are playing 2 shows that night near Philly? I wonder then if they'll play TMB for one of them, and SR for the other. For your sake, I hope you're at an SR show.

I respect that decision. I think I was originally a little averse to seeing a "tribute band". But then I started thinking of it less as a tribute band, and more as a night at the symphony or theater. I'm excited to listen to the CSO play a night of Beethoven, or see Les Miserables or something, even though nobody on stage was associated with the actual writing of the music. That's not to say you need to do the same; to each their own. But I'm glad I decided to see TMB (more than a few times now). I didn't get to see Genesis back in the day, so it's nice (for me at least) to experience someone else's version of it. Your mileage may vary, as they say.

Two shows in one night? 1970 called, they want their concert schedule back 😂

• Two shows in one night? 1970 called, they want their concert schedule back 😂

Crap. Just checked my tickets. They are for the 10:00 show. At my age that’s nearly past my bedtime lol. I suspect that also means to keep the setlist shorter at the late show we may get TMB instead of SR as the encore.

• Saw my first show in 1981. The vari-lites were brand new and still experimental, but it was mind-blowing nonetheless, especially during In The Cage, when the lights all focused at once on Phil. Everyone in the audience just gasped!

Saw every tour after, except the Invisible Touch tour, because they skipped Montreal, for some mysterious reason that I've never been able to find, and the We Can't Dance show because I was out of town that weekend. I'm not very sorry I missed the WCD tour, because it was the worst setlist in the band's history.

I had tickets for the Calling All Stations tour, but we all know what happened...

If I could go back in time and see one of these shows again, it would be the Mama tour, no doubt.

• Official Post

Duke and Mama tour - that would be also great to see. I have been born too late to do that.

And of course the Lamb tour, but that was reproiduced nicely by The Musical Box.

• Official Post

A stark lesson in the "never assume" rule.

3 out of 4 ain't that bad

• I saw them on the We Can't Dance tour at Earls Court - a really good concert. PC seemed a little subdued and I put it down to fatigue at the end of the tour. But it didn't matter. I particularly liked the old medley and Home By the Sea. Great band.

• I can now add two more to my "final" Genesis concert list that started (1973) and ended in Montreal:

Montreal Bell center - November 22 -23, 2021 Last Domino Tour 2021.

Total shows= 12

• I can now add two more to my "final" Genesis concert list that started (1973) and ended in Montreal:

Montreal Bell center - November 22 -23, 2021 Last Domino Tour 2021.

Total shows= 12

12? That's the number of times I saw Yes, from my first show in 1984 (90125 tour) until my last ever (2004 tour.)

• Peter Gabriel Glasgow Apollo Feb 1980 ( PG3 Tour)

Genesis Glasgow Apollo April 1980 (Duke Tour)

Steve Hackett Glasgow Apollo June 1980 (Defector Tour)

Genesis Ingliston Edinburgh Sept 1982 (Abacab Tour)

Genesis Milton Keynes Oct 1982 (Six of the Best Reunion Tour)

Peter Gabriel Glasgow Apollo Sept 1983 ( PG4 Tour)

Peter Gabriel Edinburgh Playhouse Sept 1983 (PG4 Tour)

Steve Hackett Glasgow Royal Concert Hall May 2013 (Genesis Revisited Tour)

Peter Gabriel Glasgow SSE Hydro Sept 2013 ( Back to Front Tour)

Genesis Glasgow SSE Hydro Oct 2021 (Last Domino Tour)

1980 was a great year to see all of Genesis and solo projects on great form.

I would pick the PG 1980 and Genesis Duke Tour 1980.

Both very memorable 40 years later, particularly the opening for Peter Gabriel, Intruder with the Apollo in complete darkness as the drums pounded and PG & band walking through the audience to climb onto the stage. What a start to a gig.

Six of the Best is a bit more vague. I remember the rain, Peter Gabriel being carried on stage in a white coffin and the excellent Talk Talk being disgracefully bottled off stage as one of the support acts. Talk Talk's treatment still makes me fume to this day.

To 2021 and lucky to catch Glasgow before they cancelled the second night. I had no expectations 39 years after I had last seen Genesis. Still great and enjoyed being back. What a fantastic live band. Its all still in my head.

• Six of the Best is a bit more vague. I remember the rain, Peter Gabriel being carried on stage in a white coffin and the excellent Talk Talk being disgracefully bottled off stage as one of the support acts. Talk Talk's treatment still makes me fume to this day.

There is never an excuse to throw stuff at a band although someone I was with did throw an apple.! Not nice . TBF though, putting other bands on was a mistake .Maybe one . Not three . And, any support band if they had to have one should've been someone more relatable to Genesis fans. A bit proggy or rocky, someone who could have "warmed us up" . It was cold , wet and place was rubbish. We established a spot and had to put up standing there for ages for no other reason than there were a load of support bands that we and most of the crowd had absolutely no interest in . Unfortunately it was the era bottling off bands and the promoters must have known it. The reception was inevitable I'm afriad. Why on earth they put those acts on I'll never know . I'll bet not a single extra ticket was sold because of any of them .

• Unfortunately it was the era bottling off bands and the promoters must have known it. The reception was inevitable I'm afriad.

Was there actually an 'era' where bottles were thrown at bands? Why was this behavior ever tolerated to such an extent?

I wasn't there and I was 1 year old in 1982. But support bands are a common, easy to understand thing. What kind of brain dead fool throws solid objects at someone trying to do their job. I can't share the view that this behavior was inevitable, with the caveats I mentioned.

If I had been in Genesis I would have gone on stage and told the crowd that if one more object was thrown at my support act, I would not be taking the stage myself. Bullying enrages me.

• If I had been in Genesis I would have gone on stage and told the crowd that if one more object was thrown at my support act, I would not be taking the stage myself. Bullying enrages me.

Ditto. Also ditto re Mr.Farmer about still feeling angry about that today.

Bizarre as it sounds I do think there kind of was a 'bottling-off era', at least in that it was something that I remember happening but that you don't see now - partly I suppose as they don't tend to allow bottles into arenas now. It roughly coincided with the era of seeing Jesus down the front at gigs - anyone else remember him?

My brother was at the 78 Knebworth gig and was right near a woman in the audience who got hit by a bottle thrown by someone elsewhere in the crowd. It split her nose open, blood everywhere and she had to be helped from the arena. That too still enrages me when I think about it now. In the case of that thrower and every other one who's done that, doubtless they just melted into the crowd and were never collared. Someone drained their bottle, thought - what do I do with this now? I know, I'll just randomly lob it - then thought no more about it and carried on enjoying themselves. Meanwhile that woman was messed up, in horrendous pain, needed urgent medical attention (and of course missed an epic show) and almost certainly still has scars.

I'm not exaggerating when I say, I wish there was a Simon Weisenthal type figure who relentlessly hunted down scumbags like that. Well, maybe Weisenthal crossed with Batman. Seriously though, it's the worst kind of crime - random, spontaneous, uncaring, done as a 'laugh'. I must stop now as my BP will hit the ceiling.

Abandon all reason

Edited 2 times, last by Backdrifter ().