[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• That might work for singing it, but poor Tony would have the task of relearning that solo in a new key 😳 Not that he hasn't done it before on In The Cage for example, but that could be a heavier lift.

I don't think he has to relearn it in a new key. He can play in the original key and use a setting on his keyboard to transpose the key down. I think that's what he did on the 2007 tour - he looks like he is playing in the original key even though the song has been lowered.

• I don't think he has to relearn it in a new key. He can play in the original key and use a setting on his keyboard to transpose the key down. I think that's what he did on the 2007 tour - he looks like he is playing in the original key even though the song has been lowered.

Ah okay, I never really looked that closely at any videos from 2007 to see that he used the transpose setting. I just assumed he painfully learned everything in a new key. Much easier that way for sure. In that case he should be all set!

• That might work for singing it, but poor Tony would have the task of relearning that solo in a new key 😳 Not that he hasn't done it before on In The Cage for example, but that could be a heavier lift.

Im no professional musician, but I presume they could transpose his keyboard on the fly, so he could play it in the same key, but it would sound a semitone or two lower

• Im no professional musician, but I presume they could transpose his keyboard on the fly, so he could play it in the same key, but it would sound a semitone or two lower

Yup, covered that above 😉

I always figured the pros would relearn the parts without going the transpose route but if that option is available I guess why not use it.

• Official Post

Well, I really hope they make a lot of stuff sound different. I can always hear the records but it would be nice to hear the tracks in a different, unexpected way.

• Official Post

So, the ROLLING STONE thinks White Mountain (!) might return into the set after 45 years ...

https://www.rollingstone.com/m…untain-live-1976-1119223/

• So, the ROLLING STONE thinks White Mountain (!) might return into the set after 45 years ...

https://www.rollingstone.com/m…untain-live-1976-1119223/

They're picking up on the speculation triggered by the wolf-like red eyes. I like their reference to fans combing through the teaser like it's the Zapruder film!

Whether or not Fang does feature I do think, as discussed elsewhere, this will be a markedly different sort of setlist.

Abandon all reason

• When I saw those eyes, the first thought was "666 is no longer alone"....but then I thought it looked more like an animal and wondered about Squonk....but the eyes are an evil red and the squonk is shy and retiring.

Some people have suggested Watcher of the Skies which is possible but Peter never had red eyes for that, did he? I can see it could be the "evil" face during the cackling laugh in Mama or possibly a spirit in Home By The Sea. But none of those quite fits.

I've shown the picture to a few people who are not Genesis fans and not familiar with their songs at all....to get the opinion of people who have no pre-conceptions. I simply asked "what do you think this face is?" The consensus was "canine"...one even said "wolf with one bad eye". One person did suggest a big cat like a jaguar. But four out of five had a first thought that it was a canine of some sort.

As unlikely as it still seems, I wonder if it is White Mountain? I'm prepared to bet it is not One Eyed Hound! At this point I wouldn't put money on it not being White Mountain.

• I'm prepared to bet it is not One Eyed Hound!

Hahaha! Maybe just after the snippet shown, one of the red eyes vanishes...

It's quite amusing to watch the speculation but I can't join in with it. The graphic might indicate any of the songs suggested, or something else entirely that doesn't fit with literal-minded join-the-dots guesswork.

For all we know the eyes might subsequently change colour and start crying, making it Way Of The World. Or it's a song not connected with eyes, redness or canines at all, they just thought it looked good. etc etc etc.

Abandon all reason

• I do suspect they won't deviate a whole lot from the 2007 set list. They've already said that there are certain "crowd pleasers" that they are almost obliged to play. And as much as hardcore fans might cream our jeans at 25 minutes of Supper's Ready, likelihood is that half the audience would get a beer.

But they did give us one genuine surprise in 07, Ripples, so one or two are certainly not out of the question.

We're going to get Invisible Touch, Land Of Confusion, That's All, Hold On My Heart....but perhaps we'll get something unexpected too. They know it's probably their last tour - though I expect them to tour sporadically for up to two years....so one or two set changes are possible.

• Official Post

Don’t think they will do hold on my heart, but fading lights is to be expected. That’s all wasn’t played in 2007 anyway

• I'm optimistic there'll be some goodies in the setlist. I have a strong hunch that squonk will be in there. Of course, as I've gone on at length before, best of all would be variation from night to night, but I'll take what I get! And I feel like they will have some differences from prior tours. I think there's enough distance from the band's first life for them to feel a bit more freedom.

• Well I made this list having in mind that there are some crowd pleasers like Land of Confusion, Follow You, Invisible Touch, Mama, No Son of Mine, Turn It On Again.

Furthermore, the rest should (IMO) be some stage favorites from the past. And left out some really 'period tracks'.

And by the way, which fan could not live with this list ???

• Don’t think they will do hold on my heart, but fading lights is to be expected. That’s all wasn’t played in 2007 anyway

Yeah if they play Hold On My Heart again we'll know it's just their standard "bathroom break song" haha cuz they've played it on every tour since 92, and that includes CAS tour! If they're going to do a song like that do something else like Man on the Corner or something slow but that we don't hear EVERY TOUR. I do think Fading Lights is something they WILL play, based on the lyrics, it would be the perfect set ender (then a couple encores with more energy, hopefully not Carpet Crawlers, which isn't energetic haha) But Fading Lights seems like an obvious choice, especially near the end of the set on their final tour. The only thing that'll be weird is the middle section before was only the three guys on stage. The difference is we'll get the big middle section start a bar earlier than the We Can't Dance tour cuz Phil won't have to run back to the drums this time haha

• Fading Lights would be the perfect closer of the set with something more upbeat as an encore. Was Fading Lights one of the songs mentioned in the Prog article last year? I know that's when they poo-pooed the idea of "dusting off The Knife" and talked about doing parts of Supper's Ready.

I happen to think that Hold On My Heart could work well with Phil in his chair, it's kind of a personal song. Sitting on the stool for the 07 tour worked with that song too. But I also agree that it's been done more than enough times and doesn't really stand out in their vast catalogue.