[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• Short version of TTT into Invisible Touch... Theres a screen grab of the setlist from PC's music stand floating around

• enjoyed the programme and got me stoked for the tour. Sure, Phil isn't at his peak, but he's out there giving it his best, because he wants to do it...and i'm sure tony wouldn't do it if he didn't think was ok

As usual the lights look great and clearly all involved are taking it seriously...looking forward to London and appreciate the constraints Phil is under

• I froze the video but couldn’t make out the set list- is there a readable version out there somewhere? Enjoyed the programme. Sounds great and show looks superb. Poor Phil all over the place and wouldn’t get into a half decent tribute band. But I think he’ll be in much better shape by the first gig. I really hope so for his sake and his general health, never mind us.

• Short version of TTT into Invisible Touch... Theres a screen grab of the setlist from PC's music stand floating around

Is there? I haven't seen it. It sounded like they were talking about the "middle bit' and going back to the main bit or something when they were reviewing the visuals. Made me hopeful!

• If you are taking about the visuals they were watching, those were the visuals for Jesus, with the icons/graphics around the edges of the screen.

There’s a screen grab that clearly shows TTT/Invisible Touch -bottom line of the set list.

• Is there? I haven't seen it. It sounded like they were talking about the "middle bit' and going back to the main bit or something when they were reviewing the visuals. Made me hopeful!

I heard the same thing regarding the middle bit of TTT while Tony was discussing lighting cues. A written set list that includes “TTT/Invisible Touch” doesn’t necessarily mean they’re playing the bastardized version of TTT. We get all of In the Cage every tour as part of a medley, although it’s listed as “In the Cage/Cinema Show” (etc). It’s entirely possible that the band figured why not play all of TTT on their farewell tour. In my mind’s ear I can hear the transition from the end of TTT played circa 1986-87 into IT smoothly. There’s certainly no guarantees we get the album version of TTT but after watching the doc it strikes me as a good possibility.

• I heard the same thing regarding the middle bit of TTT while Tony was discussing lighting cues. A written set list that includes “TTT/Invisible Touch” doesn’t necessarily mean they’re playing the bastardized version of TTT. We get all of In the Cage every tour as part of a medley, although it’s listed as “In the Cage/Cinema Show” (etc). It’s entirely possible that the band figured why not play all of TTT on their farewell tour. In my mind’s ear I can hear the transition from the end of TTT played circa 1986-87 into IT smoothly. There’s certainly no guarantees we get the album version of TTT but after watching the doc it strikes me as a good possibility.

I hope your right MoolitKnight. I thought the same thing when I heard Tony comment about "the middle bit" when TTT was playing in the background. I did see the screen with all the objects flying around though (money, telephones, etc.) and I didn't know what it was.

Usapcfan said it was Jesus He Knows Me, which makes sense as there is a middle section (kinda reggae) which does go back into the verse.

If you are taking about the visuals they were watching, those were the visuals for Jesus, with the icons/graphics around the edges of the screen.

There’s a screen grab that clearly shows TTT/Invisible Touch -bottom line of the set list.

I was really hoping for the full TTT but really don't expect it. After I heard that comment and based on the fact that they are trying some different stuff, I thought who knows. If not the whole song, maybe a little more than just that first part, like they did with Ripples last time. The Instrumental part isn't that long and the build to the "You keep telling me I got everything" is the highlight of the whole song, in my opinion. The repeat of the verse and the end does go on a little long, although it completes it properly. I never liked the version in 1992 and it always felt that they turned this song into a rock anthem singalong, like We will rock You. It's like a throwaway just to get people to sing the catchy chorus.

The other song I'm really wondering about is Fading Lights. Tony said he "convinced" the other two to sing the first two verses. He said nothing about the instrumental which is so essential to that song, otherwise it is a little boring although beautiful. I would think that it would be played, at least some of it and transition into the Cinema Show. I'm not sure how much of it though since last time they only played the last two minutes of Duke's Travels in the medley. If it indeed starts the medley, it will be interesting to see "newer" material placed next to "older" even though they are all old now.

I'm so hoping for Abacab. It's a rock song and people love it and it is still played on classic rock radio here is the states. I don't think that they would do the edit version as indicated on the new compilation. If so, that's ridiculous. The best part live has always been the second part, although two drummers feature heavily in that part.

I'm still confused about the setlist. If I add up all the songs we absolutely know they rehearsed, its like 2.5 hours easy. I'm a little surprised that they still feel they have to draw 70% of the set from the last three albums. I mean, I love those albums and love most if not all of the songs but it is a little much. If I count correctly, 6 from Invisible Touch, 5 from We Can't Dance and 3 from Genesis. It really doesn't leave any room for any big surprises other than what we have heard already unless they drop some of these songs.

Daryl said in an interview that they tried some 70's songs but they sounded dated. I mean, no shit they sound dated. Nobody writes songs about little mythical creatures that disappear anymore. It's not really the point and there is really no reason to get embarrassed about that anymore. I can see when they were trying to be young and relevant back in the eighties and early nineties. I think that there also is a greater number of fans that are into the 70's stuff than during the 1986-1992 era since time has there music to be rediscovered over many years and it seems that magazines and documentaries always focus 60-70% of there story on the Peter years up until they became a three piece.

I'm certainly happy to see whatever they play since I love it and I know I sound like a complainer, but I guess I never understood why they struggle to embrace more of their past catalogue which is very rich and diverse. I can understand that it might feel like a different band to them since it was so long ago but I can't understand how they can't hear the beauty and magic of some of that earlier material.

Sorry for the ramble:)

Paul

• I would advise everybody against watching this. Too many spoilers!! I stopped half way through. I don't mind seeing the stage set up and a few of the songs but felt it was getting too much. Better to wait 'til you have seen the show for real. Also Phil sounds like he has badly fitting false teeth. That cant be right? He must have implants, he is rich enough LOL. It will sound just great on the night but don't think I will be buying the inevitable DVD.

There was nothing they showed or played or talked about on that documentary that you wouldn't expect to be included anyway. Or at least would t be surprised to hear it

• Thanks Paul. Don't worry about the rant. This is a ranting site lol. All kidding aside, many would agree with your post. The reality is that 8 studio albums were released in the 1970s and 4 in the '80s (2 in the '90s - one of which they wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole). The other reality is that the '80s albums probably outsold the '70s vinyls by a factor of 10, at least. That being said it's all old, dated music, if you go by the dates, which is a hard argument to put forth (the newest songs are 30 years old). I personally find IT as dated as any other album with the electronic drums and the "synths du jour". If you ask any prog fan to pick one song that best defines '70s prog Genesis, it would have to be Supper's Ready. Yet, it's unlikely that they'll play even a bit of it. I empathize with the juggling act that they need to engage in but I also have a hard time swallowing that they need to play "all the hits", especially as these songs are very old. Plus, they have no new material to promote; this is a nostalgia tour, pure and simple. That's my rant :).

• Yea, I think we've heard about 90-95 % of the set list thus far. "Invisible Touch" and "I Can't Dance" are obviously going to be in there, and maybe "Fading Lights." "Follow You, Follow Me" will be in there as well.

Biggest surprises will likely be "Duchess" and "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight." I've given up on "Supper's Ready" in any form, and I really don't need to hear the Phil in the documentary sing it three steps lower and unable to sing it with the intensity and emotion it requires (at least the last two sections). I don't think "Squonk," "Misunderstanding," or "In Too Deep" will make it. Hell, I think they're even gonna bench "Hold on My Heart" and "No Son of Mine" this time around.

It'll be at most 20 songs, more likely 18-19, with a medley thrown in. The medley will likely be "Fading Lights -> Cinema -> Afterglow." "Turn It On Again" will either open or close the show.

• Yea, I think we've heard about 90-95 % of the set list thus far. "Invisible Touch" and "I Can't Dance" are obviously going to be in there, and maybe "Fading Lights." "Follow You, Follow Me" will be in there as well.

Biggest surprises will likely be "Duchess" and "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight." I've given up on "Supper's Ready" in any form, and I really don't need to hear the Phil in the documentary sing it three steps lower and unable to sing it with the intensity and emotion it requires (at least the last two sections). I don't think "Squonk," "Misunderstanding," or "In Too Deep" will make it. Hell, I think they're even gonna bench "Hold on My Heart" and "No Son of Mine" this time around.

It'll be at most 20 songs, more likely 18-19, with a medley thrown in. The medley will likely be "Fading Lights -> Cinema -> Afterglow." "Turn It On Again" will either open or close the show.

I think you are right. You can just do the numbers and see there is only so much time. I would normally guarantee No Son Of Mine but it may sound to dull at an even lower key, so maybe you are correct. I'm really surprised though if there is not at least one tune from Trick. That would be pretty odd. Also, I' really don't think Abacab will be on there unless they saved a few songs knowing that this special will air and they didn't want to give it all away. We will see in twelve days!

• Being a physician, I believe Phil is pretty significantly medicated. Knowing patients that have chronic back issues some of the medications that are used often cause them to have slurred and slow speech. It’s really difficult for me to see Phil like this. It does make me sad. But I commend him for giving it a go and I hope everything goes well.

• It’ll be a shame if (again - 3 tours running?) Tonight, Tonight, Tonight is the short version leading into Invisible Touch. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight has 3 segments which are all good but the two segments getting cut are the best 2. The instrumental leading into the final bit is a great opportunity for Banks, Rutherford and Nic to showcase their talents. Look at the below video, granted it’s 30 years ago but no doubt they could recreate the same music today. Even if the vocals would be nowhere near as good I don’t think the song would suffer because of it.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Being a physician, I believe Phil is pretty significantly medicated. Knowing patients that have chronic back issues some of the medications that are used often cause them to have slurred and slow speech. It’s really difficult for me to see Phil like this. It does make me sad. But I commend him for giving it a go and I hope everything goes well.

He does seem quite slow to articulate in interviews, but comes alive on stage. Some of his singing in the recent documentary, while certainly several tones transposed, was pretty powerful. No, he hasn't got the pipes of a 30 year old or even 50 year old but there's still some strength and power there.

Regarding the set, I do feel they might not fully realise that all their songs are old and dated now. I Can't Dance is now 10 years older than The Musical Box was when they toured We Can't Dance. Those electronic drum sounds on Invisible Touch, if anything, sound more dated than the Mellotron and organ on Nursery Cryme. And Phil's drumming on the albums from NC up to Duke has aged very well, it's back in fashion. It's a shame if they rehearsed more 70s material and decided not to perform it because they didn't feel it sounded "up to date" rather than because they found it too difficult. though in the end it is up to Mike, Tony and Phil....they play stuff they enjoy, I assume. And if they don't enjoy Watcher or Salmacis, they won't play them.

I do wonder if things have shifted compared to 07. I'd say back then the vast majority of fans were more familiar with the 80s hits. Though it is a wonderful thing to be surrounded by 60k people chanting "Me, I'm just a lawnmower" and rocking out to Los Endos. But in the intervening years there actually has been more emphasis on the older material in the media with articles describing them as a 70s prog band. The reissues and documentaries have brought the Gabriel/Hackett eras to more ears than before. I still reckon at least half the audience at most venues will be there to hear Invisible Touch or Mama....but maybe the balance has changed a bit and there will be 40% who would love to hear something pulled deeper from the bag.

I hope they tour on and off for a couple of years like Phil did, and consider some changes to the set. Though whatever they play, assuming it's not a two hour free form improv based on Whodunnit.....I hope it goes down well and I hope they play and sing well.

• I think it’s important to remember that in an interview Nic mentioned being given certain songs to rehearse—namely Apocalypse in 9/8, Watcher of the Skies, and Los Endos—that he had some trouble mastering. That would suggest that Tony, Mike, and Phil wanted to include some older material that may not have made the final setlist because Nic wasn’t able to get those songs down.

• Based on the PBS documentary, the Last Domino CD , and filling in some gaps this is what I reckon we will get:

8:14 Dukes End/Turn It on Again

6:56 Mama

5:10 Land of Confusion

6:57 No Son of Mine

6:42 Duchess

9:16 Home by the Sea (part one)/Fading Lights (song part only)

3:20 /Cinema Show (Inst.)

4:29 /Afterglow

Acoustic set

4:58 ..That's All

3:02 ..The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (edited version as per WCD tour)

1:47 ..Dancing With The Moonlit Knight (intro only as per Duke tour)

5:44 ..Carpet Crawlers

4:18 Follow You Follow Me

4:39 Firth of Fifth (Inst.)

6:44 I know What I Like

6:53 Throwing It All Away

5:31 Jesus He Knows Me

11:33 Domino

~encore~

6:11 I Can't Dance

3:49 Tonight, Tonight, Tonight (short version)

5:34 Invisible Touch

- which is about 2 hrs long - no room for Abacab (hope I am wrong about that though)

• In the documentary you can hear the end of In That Quiet Earth transitioning into Afterglow. I’m guessing that will be plugged in between Cinema Show and Afterglow, as during the Mama Tour. I’m expecting TTT/IT as the set closers. For the encore I have a hard time imagining an encore that doesn’t include some older stuff (as with Carpet Crawlers in 2007). I think we are likely to get a mix for the encores—something like I Can’t Dance, DWTMK/Carpet Crawlers, Turn it on Again. I’m holding out hope the set begins with Abacab (or they launch into it right after Duke’s Intro, as they did with TIOA in 2007). The song I’m having the hardest time figuring out in terms of placement is Duchess. I just can’t imagine it without the lead in from BTL.