The Last Domino? Tour: a Blu-Ray will NOT happen

• Official Post

will never tell people to watch YouTube

I'd love to have a Blu-ray of that tour as well. Was just thinking in general.

• Well, Genesis DID authorize a PBS documentary about the making of the tour, featuring early rehearsals when Phil was really struggling. (and that official DVD can be ordered during the PBS pledge drives).

If Genesis were so concerned about how they currently appear, they would never allow that special to see the light of day.

If they're okay with that documentary out there, "preserved for the fans"... then I see no reason why they can't release a video of a full finished show from this tour.

It's obviously not about concerns regarding the quality of the performance.

I disagree about these points. There is a big difference between a tour documentary and a concert tour performance release.

The focus of a tour documentary is about how the band works together and how the tour is put together, it is not just on the final performances. Sure some excerpts are shown, but they can then pick and choose parts that went well. Or they can show bits that weren't working in rehearsal as they did in Come Rain or Shine. That fits well with the story of a tour coming together. The context makes all the difference.

A video release of the actual tour performance - either a single concert or a compilation - focuses only on the quality of the performances. So it makes sense that some artists will care if they think the performances are up to snuff for this kind of scrutiny.

I obviously don't know what Genesis was actually thinking about this. I'm just guessing that they might not have felt that this is the tour to preserve for posterity as a live performance, which is not incompatible with allowing sections of rehearsals and performances to show up in a tour documentary.

• The lack of a concert film is frustrating for those of us who really love the band and want to see everything they do recorded for posterity (and those of us who were unable to attend this tour).

But I think your reaction to this news depends on your mindset towards the tour in general. I don’t see The Last Domino tour as a comeback or even a farewell tour. In my mind, 2007 remains the band’s proper ‘farewell tour’, with plenty of promotional releases and a concert film with Phil still performing to a high standard. TLD happened just because Tony, Mike, and Phil wanted to play together again and give fans one last chance to see the band live. On top of that, we did get a documentary that gave us an honest and sometimes painful look at the struggles that Phil was facing with his health and his singing ability, and I’m thankful for that.

I don’t think Genesis viewed this tour as such a big event like the TIOA tour. 2007 was the conclusion to the Genesis story; this tour is the epilogue and so no blu-ray release is really necessary. Which goes back to what Christian said about the band never really considering it.

• i think i saw three remote cameras infront of stage going side to side on a track. so hopefully theyll use that footage for a tour special or GENESIS doc on appleTV/netflix ect

• Official Post

i think i saw three remote cameras infront of stage going side to side on a track. so hopefully theyll use that footage for a tour special or GENESIS doc on appleTV/netflix ect

they need cameras for the screens of course. Those are nowhere near what’s needed for a decent film production

• they need cameras for the screens of course. Those are nowhere near what’s needed for a decent film production

Yes the front 2remote cameras may not be Netflix aproved but I saw two concert standard cameras with fujinon zoom lens behind the sound/lighting desk so that’s 4cams that can be used, yeah the drum cam looked a bit weak but you’re allowed a certain percentage of weak footage in most docs :)

• I really hope that either this info about a Blu Ray turns out to be incorrect or they change their minds, but if not the language doesn't necessarily suggest there won't be a live album or even official bootlegs like PG did for the Up tour?

• I am okay with no bray if that's the decision. I would more like a post tour interview about the challenges, what they had to do to get this tour going. Remember we had doubts if we were even gonna get to the proper end of the tour. And what they want to do in the future within music or not. The tour was their gift to us.

• Official Post

I really hope that either this info about a Blu Ray turns out to be incorrect or they change their minds, but if not the language doesn't necessarily suggest there won't be a live album or even official bootlegs like PG did for the Up tour?

Please forget about this. To record a full production for a commercial release is a very different story than having some cameras for the screens they use. They have decided not to record the shows and not that those shows are over, the only material would be the rehearsal footage. And that footage is - beyond the documentary - unknown in terms of style etc. So there won't be a concert film.

This info we gave is correct - I talked to the management myself and they made it very clear.

• Hopefully though we will see a blu ray of When in Rome, and this could include some content from the final tour. If they put out a decent set similar to Gilmour's Live at Pompeii. This has the main concert on one disc (When in Rome) and selected performances from two other shows together with documentaries (Come Rain or Shine + last tour) on another. Nice memento for fans and a nice little earner for them!

• Please forget about this. To record a full production for a commercial release is a very different story than having some cameras for the screens they use. They have decided not to record the shows and not that those shows are over, the only material would be the rehearsal footage. And that footage is - beyond the documentary - unknown in terms of style etc. So there won't be a concert film.

This info we gave is correct - I talked to the management myself and they made it very clear.

We will see. Even if there's no blu ray there may yet be a live album.

This tour itself wasn't going to happen - until it did.

• Oh, man. Heheheheh! In a way I almost kind of admire your adopting the persistent "never say never" attitude

It worked for Mike didn't it! ^^ How many years was his response to the unlikely-looking Genesis reunion 'never say never'?

I understand that they can't magic Blu Ray quality footage out of nowehere if they didn't record it properly - personally I'm more hopeful that they'll do a live album even if no video. Springsteen has shown how great the official bootlegs route can be - both on the current tours and going back into the archive. I wonder if official boots have the best 'effort/cost:financial viability' ratio?

Dum Spiro Spero....

• Official Post

It worked for Mike didn't it! ^^ How many years was his response to the unlikely-looking Genesis reunion 'never say never'?

I understand that they can't magic Blu Ray quality footage out of nowehere if they didn't record it properly - personally I'm more hopeful that they'll do a live album even if no video. Springsteen has shown how great the official bootlegs route can be - both on the current tours and going back into the archive. I wonder if official boots have the best 'effort/cost:financial viability' ratio?

Dum Spiro Spero....

live albums don't make much sense neither. Mike told me years ago he has zero interest in live albums (ok, that was for the Mechanics, but then again, why put a live album out that consists of nearly the same setlist like Live Over Europe?

Would be happy if they did .... bit they won't

• live albums don't make much sense neither. Mike told me years ago he has zero interest in live albums (ok, that was for the Mechanics, but then again, why put a live album out that consists of nearly the same setlist like Live Over Europe?

Would be happy if they did .... bit they won't

Same reason they put out another compilation of stuff we already had last year.

If you're taking that attitude there wasn't much on Live Over Europe that wasn't on previous live albums.

Let's see what happens.

• Well what about a best of your album or MOD location specific. You did post that engineer interview where he said the audio at least would be recorded. True he never promised what would be done with it. But it seems really s&&tty to just tease us with the info they're being recorded at least audio wise, and then just throw it in the black hole that is their archives.

• Well what about a best of your album or MOD location specific. You did post that engineer interview where he said the audio at least would be recorded. True he never promised what would be done with it. But it seems really s&&tty to just tease us with the info they're being recorded at least audio wise, and then just throw it in the black hole that is their archives.

I don't know how shitty it is, or how much of a tease simply stating the fact they were being recorded is. It's the band's choice. If they want to play the recordings backwards while burning incense and performing interpretive dance in Tony's front living room, that's their prerogative.