PETER GABRIEL - I/O: The Tour 2023 (general info)

• This time I won't wait for Backdrifter to support me. For the umpteenth time, there are markets outside Europe & the US. In my wildest dreams, if a tour occurs, surely it's going to be somewhere he hasn't been since.... oh,, I don't know... 1994. To quote Aerosmith, dream on.

I can't quite imagine the frustration of this, feeling like artists are blind to the world outside the US and Europe. I was happy to see one of my other favorite bands, the Pumpkins, do a fairly extensive tour down under in the last year or two.

Obviously cost is one consideration, but I've been wondering about sustainability too, and whether an artist with PG's sensibilities might have an issue with it. I found some comments in an interview pointing in that direction, but it can't be that big a concern given the scale of the tour he just finished.

https://www.nme.com/news/music…ronmental-touring-3230505

His train idea is kind of neat!

• Hello again. I totally agree. No more touring for now. If the release of the album is in December, these months will be for the presentation of the album on radio, in music magazines with interviews.

As I've said before, no interviews have been done in Spain.

There is an Argentinian website (mellotron.web.car) where a review of the concert he gave in Verona (Italy) appears in (Spanish).

In the next issue of a Spanish magazine (ruta66) there is an article dedicated to TONY LEVIN (November 2023).

In short, apart from not having passed through Spain on the i/o (Europe) tour, there has been a lack of interest in talking about PG live. Personally I have written several short articles about the songs that have been coming out in the full moon...in the blog rock the best music (Spanish).

I'm not sure if they are going to tour again, especially when there are tours of their members (Ayanna & Tony).

Bruce Springsteen is coming to Spain in June 2024 (Madrid and Barcelona), which makes it difficult for people who live far away from these two cities...

• His train idea is kind of neat!

He first looked into it in 1980. Subsequently he considered the feasibility of suspending the stage from an airship which would fly around and set down in a field for each gig. It sounds like I'm doing some sort of extension joke but I'm not. There were notes on these ideas in the programme for the 1983 'Playtime 1988' tour.

Abandon all reason

• I have a bit of an esoteric question but am I interest other people too. I'm sure you've all seen the pink and yellow lettering I /O album theme even if that does not appear to be from what we've seen the actual album cover. I have seen what I presume her some bootleg enterprising individuals I don't know what else to call redbubble and similar sites anyway since it's not their IP that are selling posters with the pink and yellow IO and the tour dates that match the European tour. I guess there are alternatives that have Peter Gabriel's face but I'd rather like the I/O.

Here's my conundrum. I have found a few of the North American version images that use pink and blue instead of pink and yellow. It seems to be consistent so I'm assuming pink and blue are for the North American things. There is however one argument against this which is that one of the t-shirts one of the very few it is concerts that actually said much of anything was black with just a purple I/o and that was clearly different than the European version shirt.

When I found these pink and blue North American images I have not found a single case where it's the full image rather than like someone took a horizontal crop and cut off most of the top and bottom of the image.

Since as far as I know there have been no good posters or posters period really for fans to buy off the PG store that are official products (nor did I see any at the stand at the concert I attended) I'm willing to make do with either putting together my own or buying one from one of these enterprising individuals posters that I guess you'd call third party since there's nothing official from pg. However I've seen not a single one that does the North American tour dates or at least lists if nothing else Boston and state which is the show I went to.

Given a choice I said prefer the one that has all the tour dates inclusive of Boston not just boston.

So that brings me to this question for the group I see even our own website here lists at the following link I put towards the end. It shows an image that says dates and set lists, but it's a cropped image or it looks like one. Just making a guess but if there is a full image and it says on the craft one dates and setlists I'm assuming it might say on the full image either the dates and or setlists. And uses the correct pink and blue. That's exactly what I'm looking for if such an uncropped image exists could whoever is involved in the site whether management or art design that put it at the link I'm going to supply the end which is to the image on this very own site tell me if a full size image exists and if they would possibly be so kind to share it?

I am not looking to do this commercially I just want to make myself a poster and maybe a t-shirt just for me you'll never have to worry about it going elsewhere on eBay or whatever. If that image was never made in full does anyone know where I can get one.

I'd rather not have to delve down the rabbit hole of trying to find a high quality European one and in Photoshop, individually editing every single date not to mention the color to reflect North American dates and color.

But I'm so bummed out not to have that poster with the pink and blue colors I like so much that he used for North America akin to what he used.

If anyone knows where I can get either a full image with the reddish pink and the blue like you've seen in various advertisements and also on the image below but non-cropped and in full that shows the dates and locations I'm not as fussed about the setlist but that's a great bonus or even better if similar is shown and there's a non crop version of this one below that too and at least not terrible resolution so I can make it a poster printed to hang up in my room or a t-shirt for me although I'm really going for the poster. Thank you any fellow formers who may be able to assist with this much appreciated.

pg_io_tour2023daten+sets_header_GB.jpg

• Official Post

Could also mean he’ll be back in the studio with Peter.

Peter wants to release more music in 2024 and I am sure he found it rather exhausting to be on tour simultaneously.
    Also, if there were plans for more shows in 2024, they probably would have announced that before Christmas?

At the moment I think more shows in 2024 are unlikely but of course I wouldn’t complain when proven wrong ;)

• Could also mean he’ll be back in the studio with Peter.

Peter wants to release more music in 2024 and I am sure he found it rather exhausting to be on tour simultaneously.
    Also, if there were plans for more shows in 2024, they probably would have announced that before Christmas?

At the moment I think more shows in 2024 are unlikely but of course I wouldn’t complain when proven wrong ;)

Well as long as there is more music coming, I'm happy! I think if there will be touring in 2024 we'll hear about it soon? Maybe later on in the year? Who knows! Now I'm pretty much fully retired I have more flexibility, I'd love to go to South America (s) to see PG play.

• Well as long as there is more music coming, I'm happy! I think if there will be touring in 2024 we'll hear about it soon? Maybe later on in the year? Who knows! Now I'm pretty much fully retired I have more flexibility, I'd love to go to South America (s) to see PG play.

Well considering the fact that they usually announce tour legs around 8 months or so in advance, I'm inclined to take this lack of news to mean that there are no shows planned yet for 2024-at least until the fall, otherwise we'd likely have heard about it already. I'd bet we'll know for sure by about March whether there will be any fall/winter shows this year.

• Peter has enjoyed returning to full touring for both the European & North American tours and most of all, he loves his current band and how they have gelled so well in a live setting.

So it would not be a total surprise to see either an Australian/NZ/Japan tour as well as a Latin American tour. 2024 looks like his iO tour will carry on, time is a relentless and unforgiving. It would be a pity if the rest of the world does not see this amazing show that some of us have been fortunate to experience last year.

• Peter has enjoyed returning to full touring for both the European & North American tours and most of all, he loves his current band and how they have gelled so well in a live setting.

So it would not be a total surprise to see either an Australian/NZ/Japan tour as well as a Latin American tour. 2024 looks like his iO tour will carry on, time is a relentless and unforgiving. It would be a pity if the rest of the world does not see this amazing show that some of us have been fortunate to experience last year.

Let's hope so, because it's been 30 YEARS. I saw Mark Knopfler more recently than that. 29 years ago.... ;(

• I realy doubt that there will be something like an Australian/NZ/Japan Tour. These states are very far away from England and possible venues are also very far away from each other. The transport of the equipment (and also of crew and band) would cost a fortune. And also the many off-days between shows.

And even they could calculate a version that would be possible - they couldn't be sure that this calculation works. Not all North America dates were sold very well.

It would be great for the people over there - but I think this will remain a dream...

(In comparison: Even the best selling Taylor Swift just heads for four locations in this area. But she can sell several shows at each stop - unlikely that this would also work for a Peter Gabriel.)

• time is a relentless and unforgiving.

True

Speaking of time, Peter will be 74 years old this year and obviously has learned how valuable time is (as he admitted he had health problems as well), so I would not be surprised if he rather spent time with family and friends instead of going on tour again - but of course I'd like to see him again as well!

... any moment that we bring to life - ridiculous sublime

• Steve does successful tours down here. Peter it could be argued is a far better known artist. Transport, etc, is the same for all overseas acts who come here. You don't have to have many off days if the tour is relatively short. When Steven Wilson came he only did four shows.

• True

Speaking of time, Peter will be 74 years old this year and obviously has learned how valuable time is (as he admitted he had health problems as well), so I would not be surprised if he rather spent time with family and friends instead of going on tour again - but of course I'd like to see him again as well!

My feeling also is that Peter has other priorities, i.e. family. If he did more shows, I guess it will be Europe again .,..

• I've been thinking lately, and I'm personally not too confident he'll do anymore legs specifically in support of i/o, at least not where he plays the whole album as half the setlist.

I DO however have a feeling that it wasn't his last tour. PG seems to be the kind of guy that would say so if it were his "final farewell," rather than just quietly fading away. So I wouldn't be surprised if in a couple years - after i/o has had its time to shine - he does one last go around in order to say a proper goodbye, health allowing of course-but focusing more on his entire catalogue. Phil Collins did it, Genesis did it, I think it's realistic he might as well. I do admit that with each passing year it becomes more and more unlikely-as he's already 74 this year. But if he DOES, I will be there for sure!

• Steve does successful tours down here. Peter it could be argued is a far better known artist. Transport, etc, is the same for all overseas acts who come here. You don't have to have many off days if the tour is relatively short. When Steven Wilson came he only did four shows.

Not sure which Steve or Steven you are referring to but, if it is Hackett on his "successful tours", well his stage production isn't even a third of what Peter's is. So if Peter does tour Australia, it would have to have short and well aligned logistics plan to make it feasible. But as already mentioned, health and family come first.

• Not sure which Steve or Steven you are referring to but, if it is Hackett on his "successful tours", well his stage production isn't even a third of what Peter's is. So if Peter does tour Australia, it would have to have short and well aligned logistics plan to make it feasible. But as already mentioned, health and family come first.

I meant Hackett, of course. I know stage production does come into it.