Your favorite GENESIS studio albums (pick three)

• Selling England By The Pound
    ...And Then There Were Three

I simply cannot choose a third album, as it varies so much from day to day between Foxtrot, Wind & Wuthering and Duke. Today I'd pick Foxtrot. Yesterday it was W&W.

There is not much of a Gabriel vs Collins split for me. Pre-Foxtrot and post-Duke, all the albums have some brilliant tracks along with some filler.

That said, I do prefer complex arrangements, imaginative stories and a pastoral atmosphere in my filler rather than overproduced, slick-but-dated electronics and banal lyrics.

When I play post-Duke albums, I will actually skip many tracks, whereas with pre-Foxtrot albums I'll let the albums play right through. (Except From Genesis To Revelation - I can't stand any of it!)

• Official Post

All new members:

Please don't forget to actually VOTE in the poll on page one of this thread

Your favorite GENESIS studio albums (pick three)

this is the result so far

• Obviously they evolved and progressed. Blatantly obviously, of course they did. It's just a certain type of fan who happen to not like where they went and therefore fold their arms and say it wasn't progress. Anyone with a properly functioning set of ears could see they were applying the same musical skill and integrity, but applying it differently than before, now developed and honed. If you don't like the results, fair enough but it's daft and maybe even a bit solipsistic to claim it wasn't progress or evolution just because it's not to your taste.

Hey Backdrifter - long time no bicker :)

I'd say they applied their finely honed musical skills to the post-prog albums, certainly. Integrity... best not to go there.

Re. progress/evolution: seeing one of the best progressive rock bands ever turn into a pop band was a truly painful thing when it happened. Not many would have called that progress :|

Edited once, last by Lazlor ().

• Yes, I made it a point to specify I was generalizing, I'm sure some older fans would like a last dance, I believe however, it's predominantly newer fans. I don't know whether Phil current vocal limitations were a factor in deciding the setlist. Older material is sometimes not necessarily more demanding vocally than stuff like Mama and from what I heard, keys have been dropped generously, the same could have been done for older songs. Who knows, perhaps there was no appetite within the band for older stuff and ultimately it's not only about what Phil can but also what he wants to sing.

It's been like that for decades now, wouldn't you say?

And why not? It was such a long time ago...

As a very old 'fan' (got into the band circa 1975), I know I haven't felt like attending a 'Genesis' gig for... well, the aforementioned decades.

• Hi Watcher. To put is simply and bluntly, those are 2 different bands to me. Having said that, there are songs here and there that I like in their '80s material but it tends to be 1-2 songs per record as opposed to entire '70s albums. There's just no comparison to me. When I listen to IT, I hear a soundtrack to Miami Vice; that cheesy synth pop/electronic drum stuff that was all over the airwaves at that time. We can be diametrically opposed in our viewpoints, that's fine, but I did want to candidly answer your question.

Same here. AFAIC, there was Genesis, a band that put out a string of albums in the Seventies that are just works of art to me - epoch-making, unsurpassable, unbelievably rich musically and in their world-making, to coin a phrase (Trespass through Seconds out, more or less).

And then there was/is the current trio, who after losing all forward-looking members chose to explore vastly different territories - poppy, drenched in keyboards and cloying melodies, and devoid of any real relevance in the plastic MTV world.

• Same here. AFAIC, there was Genesis, a band that put out a string of albums in the Seventies that are just works of art to me - epoch-making, unsurpassable, unbelievably rich musically and in their world-making, to coin a phrase (Trespass through Seconds out, more or less).

And then there was/is the current trio, who after losing all forward-looking members chose to explore vastly different territories - poppy, drenched in keyboards and cloying melodies, and devoid of any real relevance in the plastic MTV world.

Not this again.

I will leave it to those of you who are more eloquent than I am to respond to this, if you feel it necessary. I went back through the thread and will politely just say, Lazlor, you have made your preferences clear. Others disagree.

• Not this again.

I will leave it to those of you who are more eloquent than I am to respond to this, if you feel it necessary. I went back through the thread and will politely just say, Lazlor, you have made your preferences clear. Others disagree.

This is all the eloquence that's needed, more than is deserved in fact. 👍 No further response necessary.

Abandon all reason

• Of course - because YOUR opinions are what matter.

To you.

I still get notifications from this thread, and as I was listening to The Lamb yesterday, I thought I'd come see what was being said on this fanboi forum ;)

• Everyone is entitled to their opinions.... unless you can't bypass Facebook's negative algorithms (dig intended). All kidding aside, Genesis is one of those bands that has a clear divide (even multiple divides in their timeline amongst fans) for many so yes, heated conversations do occur on a number of topics. And they won't stop anytime soon lol.

• No they won't and it's mystifying to me the level of irritation, bordering on intolerance some display when confronted with said opinions.

Given how tediously repetitiously certain of these said opinions are wheeled out, and how often they're dressed up with arrogance, pomposity, and derogatory remarks about those who don't agree - eg dismissing them as "blind indiscriminating fans" - the level of irritation is not even remotely mystifying. And what you refer to as "intolerance" is in fact usually justifiably robust responses to such silliness.

Hope that helps! :thumbup:

Abandon all reason

• Of course - because YOUR opinions are what matter.

To you.

I still get notifications from this thread, and as I was listening to The Lamb yesterday, I thought I'd come see what was being said on this fanboi forum ;)

Ah dear. Someone has an itch that needs it's biannual scratch. The fare on offer is insufficient so he expands his abuse to target the entire forum.

Kind of tragic.

• Ah dear. Someone has an itch that needs it's biannual scratch. The fare on offer is insufficient so he expands his abuse to target the entire forum.

Kind of tragic.

Especially as he's the singlemost "everyone who disagrees with me is stupid" person on this entire board.

Meanwhile -

(John Peel voice):

"Up next, and I'm sure this is at the right speed - great band, great session, here's Biannual Scratch."

Abandon all reason

• 😆

Indeed.

And the same guy who levels the accusation of "blind love from indiscriminating fans" also has this to say about the band: epoch-making, unsurpassable, unbelievably rich musically. Not sure I've seen any other member be so gushing (with the caveat that after a fine strong IPA I can be plenty over the top in stating my likes and dislikes!).