9. 07 points - satisfactory - (0) 0%
    10. 06 points - sufficient + (0) 0%
    11. 05 points - sufficient (0) 0%
    12. 04 points - sufficient - (0) 0%
    13. 03 points - poor + (0) 0%
    14. 02 points - poor (0) 0%
    15. 01 point - poor - (0) 0%
    16. 00 points - abysmal (0) 0%

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread. If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

GENESIS - In The Cage
    Year: 1974
    Album: The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
    Working title: ?
    Credits: Banks/Collins/Gabriel/Hackett/Rutherford
    Lyrics: Yes
    Length: 8:13
    Musicians: Tony Banks, Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford
    Played live: 1974, 1975, 1978, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1986, 1987, 2007
    Cover versions:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Notes: Originally 'just' one of many stops in the surreal story of Rael and the Lamb on Broadway, In The Cage was dusted off a few tours later and added to the live set as a stand-alone song in 1978. Since the Duke tour, In The Cage has gained its (almost) permanent place as an imposing introduction to various medleys, but in each case it was played pretty much in its entirety. And it always begins with the sound of a beating heart...
  • The albums by which I mainly got to know Genesis were W&W and ATTW as they were the current ones. I then started exploring the earlier stuff and quickly fell in love with The Lamb. Cage really stood out as an exciting track and the dynamic shift into the 'outside the cage...' bit remains a favourite moment, especially live. The big inward swoop of varilites on those 80s tours was brilliantly dramatic. As mentioned earlier this was one that generally really took on new life on stage.

I think I've seen it mentioned it's substantially by Banks.

Abandon all reason

• One of the best songs on the Lamb album and the only other long track besides Slippermen. I prefer the live versions to the studio version. I remember being a little disappointed the synth solo is in 4/4 as opposed to most of Tony's solos (Apocalypse in 9/8, Cinema Show in 7/8, Robbery Assault & Battery in 13/8, Down and Out in 5/4, Firth of Fifth in 13/16, 15/16 and 21/16, etc.). The later live versions have a nice solo of Daryl's. Overall I like In The Cage but I don't see it on the high level as The Cinema Show and other highlights in that league.

• Great song, though I definitely prefer the live versions, even with Phil's screw up of the lyrics. The live version is more driving and energetic. I do wonder why Tony omits one of the chords in the section leading up to "Outside the cage..." (compare live versions with the studio version). Probably just forgot?

• It's a standout track for me. One of their epics that has a real edge to it. I love how it builds tension from the start with the heartbeat type rhythm and floaty vocals, before it accelerates and the razory first guitar notes come in. It gets especially intense later on with the lyrics and vocal delivery, along with the manic guitar, driving a very impressive whirlwind sense of disorientation, fear and paranoia (at least that's what I imagine the character is feeling at that time). 15.

I reeeeeeeallllyy wish I'd gotten to see them in their prime doing this live. Oh well.

• Official Post

14 points

But that's really due to the live versions of that track, especially during the Mama and IT tours. The studio version lacks a bit of drive and energy. Having said that, the 5.1 version is stunning. Interesting ....

• One of the best! I like both the studio version as well as the medley from 3-sides-live. I was amazed when I learned that the "pad" chords on the studio track came from the RMI - Tony was always very clever getting the most out of his instruments!