9. 07 points - satisfactory - (0) 0%
    10. 06 points - sufficient + (0) 0%
    11. 05 points - sufficient (0) 0%
    12. 04 points - sufficient - (0) 0%
    13. 03 points - poor + (0) 0%
    14. 02 points - poor (0) 0%
    15. 01 points - poor - (0) 0%
    16. 00 points - abysmal (0) 0%

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread. If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

PETER GABRIEL - Sledgehammer
    Year: 1986
    Album: So
    Working title: ?
    Credits: Gabriel
    Lyrics: Yes
    Length: 5:12
    Musicians: Peter Gabriel, Tony Levin, David Rhodes, Manu Katche, Daniel Lanois, Wayne Jackson, Mark Rivera
    Played live: 1986, 1987, 1988, 1990, 1993, 1994, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2023
    Cover versions: plenty, i.e. Harry Styles

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Notes: Sledgehammer finally brought Gabriel into the ranks of the greats. But the song with the heavy bass and the sexual innuendos also achieved something else: Sledgehammer became a US No. 1 hit - of all things, the song knocked Invisible Touch by Genesis off its throne. And the music video remains the most played video ever.
  • I like it though it's a far cry from the dark, haunting or atmospheric tracks that cause goosebumps and typically give me the most pleasure in PG's music.

A 12 from me.

• I found it surprising when I first heard it, given what he'd done up to that point. I bought the single, put it on and at the opening flute sound I thought we were heading for a progression of the PG4/Birdy sound, so when the brass and groove kicked in it was unexpected.

I still like it but from behind a curtain of its appeal having been dulled by over-familiarity - but that's my problem, not its.

I suppose the song can't be talked about without reference to its video, in a similar way to discussion of Squonk being impossible without the words "Zeppelin" and "Bonham" coming up as we saw last week. A work colleague at the time who wasn't especially a PG fan saw the video before I did and said it was the best he'd seen, and presciently added it'd probably be talked about for years to come. It was striking for its time but I've always preferred Talking Heads's Road To Nowhere, by the same director and employing similar techniques.

Overall, not a PG favourite for me but a good song and of course hugely significant for his career.

Abandon all reason

• I'm sure many people reading this were around at the time.

Before Sledgehammer PG had been a popular and respected musician. After this, he was pretty much a household name with a huge hit single.

It (and the album) changed his profile completely. I remember I bought the 12inch and being knocked out by it.

My only issue with So is that the production is very 80s. Nobody's fault, and not the end of the world, but for me it locks the album in a specific time and place.

• Official Post

Worth 14 points. It's a trademark, the bass sound is incredible and it's one of those tracks I never get tired listening to ...

• PG classic although possibly overplayed on the radio...always likely to be this one or Solisbury Hill, when the DJ says ...some Gabriel up next!

At the time it was very strange seeing it played everywhere..I was like, of course he is good, haven't you listened to any of his previous releases !..i was really into the PG 4 album, but didn't do a lot commercially and then suddenly he was everywhere with the video playing....

• I think it is good. It is enjoyable and catchy. I don't mind hearing it and I like that Peter wanted to venture into his love for soul music and R&B. It is a far cry from his most powerful, haunting, and poignant work. The video is fantastic. And Tony Levin's bassline is awesome.