9. 07 points - satisfactory - (1) 5%
    10. 06 points - sufficient + (0) 0%
    11. 05 points - sufficient (0) 0%
    12. 04 points - sufficient - (0) 0%
    13. 03 points - poor + (0) 0%
    14. 02 points - poor (0) 0%
    15. 01 point - poor - (0) 0%
    16. 00 points - abysmal (0) 0%

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread. If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

STEVE HACKETT - Camino Royale
    Year: 1983/2012
    Album: Highly Strung / Genesis Revisited II
    Working title: unknown
    Credits: Hackett, Magnus
    Lyrics: Yes
    Length: 5:28 / 6:19
    Musicians: Steve Hackett, Nick Magnus, John Acock, Chris Lawrence, Ian Mosley
    Played Live: 1983, 1996, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
    Cover versions:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Notes: The track was originally part of the Highly Strung album, but Steve decided years later it might also fit on Genesis Revisited II. Whether or not this track is in Genesis style, is up to you.

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• 12 points from me. Steve has been quoted as saying this is his best song, but I can't say I agree, not even in his best 20 IMO, but there you are.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• ...Steve has been quoted as saying this is his best song, but I can't say I agree, not even in his best 20 IMO, but there you are.

That's interesting. i don't even think it's his best song on that album. I would award that to "Always Somewhere Else" which would easily make my Top 20.

• 13 from me.

I am not a huge SH fan, but this one stands out for me. Perhaps because it's pretty accessible compare to other Hackett stuff? dunno ... but I like the GR2 version!

• 15 points, Outstanding.

I didn't know anything about SH and I discovered it with the Genesis R-Kive CD.

The next step is SH Access All Areas live CD, which started with Camino Royale.

It was fantastic! 8)

• There is also a studio version of Steve with Djabe, it's a bonus track on "Down & Up", but it's not a standard audio track, it's a "play it on your computer/still video" track. It's quite goo, if anyone wants to hear it I'm sure I can extract it somehow.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• HIGHLY STRUNG can perhaps be considered the album where Steve made it clear that he was going to be doing most of his own singing going forward. With HS, Steve became the first (and only) "non-singing" Genesis member to sing lead on more than one entire solo album. It may not be Steve's best album, or the one with his best vocals, but it's a consistent work.

On the original release "Camino Royale" is the opening track, but I prefer the U.S. LP track order that has it as track 3.

Note that "Camino" centers around an instrumental theme that's also heard in "Cell 151" and comprises most of "Hackett to Pieces."

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• It’s good, I don’t rate it as highly as I think Steve does but it’s a nice blend of prog and pop. I prefer his vocals less treated so in that respect prefer the revisited version. I think he sings well on newer albums, how treated his voice is on those I wouldn’t know but they sound more authentic to me and he sings better in a lower register than he does on Cured for example. This works well live and it would be good to see him write some more catchy and memorable refrains.

• Not the biggest Hackett fan here. I first heard this track many many years ago, when a friend of mine gave me a CD with Hackett solo stuff - after I discovered the band. I did not know at the time that Steve had a long solo career.

This track was catchy and (among others) made me curious. I haven't discovered all of Hackett solo yet but I do have most of the rock albums now.

11 points here. :)

• Outstanding guitarist, great song contributor but (going against the grain on a Genesis forum) I rarely find Steve a compelling listen as a songwriter or arranger. There are exceptions, but this isn't one of them.