STEVE HACKETT: Genesis Greats - Lamb Highlights & solo - tour dates 2024!

• Official Post

After his Foxtrot And Fifty Tour, Steve Hackett will focus on The Lamb for his new show in 2024. He won't play the album in its entirety, but quite a lot from it.

See news item here:

https://www.genesis-news.com/n…rsary-Tour-2024-n894.html

What do you think about this?

• Good to hear. I’m glad he’s not playing the whole thing and wouldn’t expect him to, but good that he’s celebrating the album even though he’s not prominent in much of it and felt he didn’t contribute as much as he wanted to at the time. It does contain some of his best work with Genesis and very typical Hackett sounds such as Carpet Crawlers and The Lamia. Just hope he does a little more solo stuff as well.

• I think his work on Chamber of 32 Doors is some of my favorite. Would be interested to see if he dusts that particular one off. ITC and Lamia too. If he was playing stuff like that and the opportunity to attend arose I'd likely go.

• I love The Lamb, it's my favourite Genesis album by some distance and one of my favourite albums ever by anyone. This makes me feel I could possibly break my embargo on seeing his Genesis shows for this one.

But there are still a couple of barriers holding me back. One is the perennial issue of Sylvan. The other is that while SH did some fine work on the album I'm wary that he'll bulldoze it on stage now. His playing on, eg, Windshield and the aforementioned Chamber is excellent and has his (then) trademark economy. His Lamia solo is a thing of beauty. But I'm afraid that he'd now go down the path of his absurd overstretched indulgent noodling solo as seen recently at the end of Supper's Ready.

His clean effective pencil-sketch approach of those days is one of my favourite things about his work and 70s Genesis but with this proposed Lamb show I have an image of that wonderful Lamia solo turning into an unsubtle elongated splurge.

Abandon all reason

• I agree with both of the above in terms of Steve’s excellence on those tracks and others. If it’s any comfort to Backdrifter- Nad has got a lot stronger in terms of vocals as the tours have progressed. His flamboyance is kept in check in the sense that Steve is very much centre stage and I have really enjoyed Nad’s performance on the last few tours- having felt he was a little bit the weak link at the start. As for the mission creep of the guitar- apart from the end of Supper’s Ready, which I’ve enjoyed, I haven’t noticed it on any other songs. If anything it’s the sax/clarinet/flute parts that have been expanded. I would expect a prolonged Waiting Room jam to mop this up but I think Steve’s class will shine through in restraining himself on other songs.

• Nad has got a lot stronger in terms of vocals as the tours have progressed. His flamboyance is kept in check in the sense that Steve is very much centre stage and I have really enjoyed Nad’s performance on the last few tours- having felt he was a little bit the weak link at the start. As for the mission creep of the guitar- apart from the end of Supper’s Ready, which I’ve enjoyed, I haven’t noticed it on any other songs. If anything it’s the sax/clarinet/flute parts that have been expanded. I would expect a prolonged Waiting Room jam to mop this up but I think Steve’s class will shine through in restraining himself on other songs.

It's not NS's vocals that have been my main problem, I've always found them kind of okay if a bit colourless which doesn't help when interpreting songs originally sung by such distinctive vocalists. It's his overall presence I don't much like. I've never found him particularly flamboyant and it probably wouldn't bother me if I did. In some ways I might prefer if he were to be more so.

The sax/flute stuff can be a problem for me. The flute was used horribly on I&O on the W&W 40th tour and killed one of my favourite songs, as I've previously whinged about. That show was what put an end to my seeing these SH shows. On balance I'll probably stick to that policy.

Abandon all reason

• Official Post
  • Christian

Changed the title of the thread from “STEVE HACKETT will play Lamb-Songs during new show in 2024” to “STEVE HACKETT will play Lamb-Songs during new show in 2024 - UK dates announced!”.
  • Although I am a bit tired seeing Steve again and again ... this could be interesting (didn't he say a few years back he'd rather avoid the Lamb stuff?). Hope he's doing mainland Europe as well this year.

• Good to hear. I’m glad he’s not playing the whole thing and wouldn’t expect him to, but good that he’s celebrating the album even though he’s not prominent in much of it and felt he didn’t contribute as much as he wanted to at the time. It does contain some of his best work with Genesis and very typical Hackett sounds such as Carpet Crawlers and The Lamia. Just hope he does a little more solo stuff as well.

I’m glad he’s honoring the Lamb’s 50th anniversary but I also hope he does more solo stuff live. Next year is the 30th and 40th anniversaries of Blues With A Feeling and Till We Have Faces so I’d love to see him revive some deep tracks from those records. I could see his current band nailing Footloose, Tombstone Roller and A Doll From Japan.

I am curious how many Lamb songs he’ll play. on his website Hackett states he’s “looking forward…{to playing Lamb} favourites as well as other iconic Genesis numbers along with solo gems.“ Since his show’s are a 50/50 solo material genesis split I was hoping that his second set would be 100% lamb material but I guess not.

If anything it’s the sax/clarinet/flute parts that have been expanded. I would expect a prolonged Waiting Room jam to mop this up but I think Steve’s class will shine through in restraining himself on other songs.

You took the words out of mouth! I’m also expecting a moody sax jam on Waiting Room. I also really want him to play In The Rapids and It. I imagine It would have killer guitar/keyboard/woodwinds interplay.

Let's hope he will finally perform A Trick Of The Tail in its entirety. His Selling England and Foxtrot shows were stellar, I don't care too much about The Lamb but Trick would be a real treat.

A full trick performance could be cool… but I also feel like parts of that album are so banks heavy that I wouldn’t mind him dropping some tracks. Since his first solo album was made nearly back to back with trick (and with Phil and Mike) I’d be down for a set with songs from Trick and Voyage. It’d be a good way of increasing the solo songs in his set. I’d be happy with a Trick/Voyage anniversary set like this:

Dance On A Volcano

Entangled

Squonk

Star of Sirius

Ace of Wands

Ripples

A Tower Struck Down

A Trick of The Tail

Los Endos (w/ Myopia and Slogans excerpts)

• In the last few years, this is the list of Lamb's songs played by Steve:

- The Lamb

- Fly

- Broadway melody

- Cuckoo

- Hairless Heart

- Carpet

- The Chamber

- Lilywhite

- Anyway

- Lamia

Hope for In The Cage!

• Really? .... I'll pass this time.

It's my favourite album and while I've stopped going to these Hackett shows, this one came closest to tempting me back. But I've decided I shan't bother.

I’m also expecting a moody sax jam on Waiting Room.

While that's pure speculation of course, it's a prospect that among others is key to putting me off!

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

I wonder if he'll play those in the US too next year.....

I assume not before 2025. He’s touring in the US until spring 2024 anyway

• That would be a treat. 8) He already performed Robbery Assault & Battery on his Seconds Out tour, right? I guess Mad Man Moon will be the deal breaker. I would love to get that song live but I can see the problem in performing it. Even Roger King might run into trouble with that one.

• Official Post

The venue in Cardiff is closed. Looks like they will need to reschedule this date?

https://caerphilly.observer/ne…d-until-2025-due-to-raac/

• Christian

Changed the title of the thread from “STEVE HACKETT will play Lamb-Songs during new show in 2024 - UK dates announced!” to “STEVE HACKETT: Genesis Greats - Lamb Highlights & solo - tour dates 2024!”.
    • Official Post

Three shows in Zoetermeer / NL were announced today for July 2024. The tour will kick off in Mainland Europe next summer.

https://www.genesis-news.com/n…d-in-Zoetermeer-n907.html