9. 07 points - satisfactory - (0) 0%
    10. 06 points - sufficient + (0) 0%
    11. 05 points - sufficient (0) 0%
    12. 04 points - sufficient - (0) 0%
    13. 03 points - poor + (0) 0%
    14. 02 points - poor (0) 0%
    15. 01 points - poor - (0) 0%
    16. 00 points - abysmal (0) 0%

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread. If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

GENESIS: Behind The Lines
    Year: 1980
    Album: Duke
    Working title: ?
    Credits: Banks/Collins/Rutherford
    Lyrics: Yes
    Length: 3:50
    Musicians: Tony Banks, Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford
    Played live: 1980,1981,1982,2007,2021,2022
    Cover versions: ?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Notes: The album Duke was created during the period of reorientation of Genesis. Originally Behind The Lines was intended as the beginning of a second long track of the category Supper's Ready, but the band decided instead for a suite running through the album. The theme of the song, which is about pleading with an old love, fit very well with the private situation of Phil Collins, who was divorced from his first wife at the time of production. For the Turn It On Again Reunion Tour, the track was added to the set at the request of Tony Banks. However, neither Mike Rutherford nor Phil Collins wanted to play the song in full, so as a compromise Duke's Intro was created, a punchy opener consisting of Behind The Lines and Duke's End. The band eventually revisited this idea for their final tour 2021/2022.

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• A brilliant burst of energy to start off a fantastic album.

The instrumental section is both interesting and driving while Phil sings the great lyrics in the second half, wonderfully.

Duke's Intro was an inspired choice to kick off the 2007 tour but I do think they should have changed it up for the Last Domino.

The prog side of me kind of wishes that they had done the Duke suite in its entirety on the first side of the album. I see why they didn't but the other tracks on the album do make a strong side two as well.

• For me, it's an instant 15. A fantastic track, and an amazing way to start the album. They certainly knew how to start an album, and it leads into what is probably my favourite song on Duke (Duchess, of course).

Also, its the first song I ever heard them play live, as it is the song they opened my first gig with - in 1981.

• DUKE was my first Genesis album. I decided to check it out after hearing "Turn it on Again" and "Misunderstanding" on the radio. When I first put the record on and heard "Behind the Lines," I knew it was going to be a great album.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• 15 !

In terms of importance in their catalog, same as Cinema Show, FoF, Supper's Ready, Dance on a Volcano, Afterglow... To me, this song in particular sums up what Genesis is. I always thought that if someone would want to discover Genesis, Duke would be my first choice. Perfect blend of prog-pop, and I understand why it's Tony's favourite !

I think their decision to split the suite was one of the best they did. Otherwise, side 2 would have been kind of forgotten. Weirdly, even if the "solo" songs seem to have nothing to do with the suite, I feel a kind of loose connection.

I always thought the entire album was about loneliness, with a guy - Albert ? - living in a world going through a strange pandemic of desperation (see Heathaze, to the point where people burn themselves, see MOOT), he is desperately trying to connect with people and find a goal in life, by reading (BTL), watching TV (TIOA), going to the army (Cul-de-sac, Duke's Travels), or even fantasising on his favourite singer (the now forgotten Duchess)... But he, like everyone else (the Duchess, or a fisherman in Heathaze) remains alone (Alone Tonight). Only some of his inner voice still speaks to him (Guide Vocal). He has some memories of his life before, when he meets his former wife (Please Don't Ask), etc...

In the original French vinyl edition, there was a paper with all the lyrics translated in french. By reading it, well, that's how I understood the whole album as a child.

• Great song.

The lyrics always leads me to The Neverending Story. Since this is a German site (I'm not), maybe someone can relate.

Anyway, I don't think the Neverending story was even published by the time Duke was being produced, so there's no real creative link.

• I gave it 15 as it really is an outstanding start to the album, and a great tune in it's own right. From the startling punctuated chords at the beginning to the delicate tension in parts like "whatever happened to you, it's too late to change now". It's a joyous expression of the band at the top of their powers. Leads perfectly into Duchess. 15.

• Very good, but I think I actually prefer the Face Value version.

In contrast, I initially so disliked the FACE VALUE version that it almost singlehandedly kept me from listening to the album for years. Now I at least tolerate it.

• In contrast, I initially so disliked the FACE VALUE version that it almost singlehandedly kept me from listening to the album for years. Now I at least tolerate it.

That's harsh in regards to the rest of Face Value, but as I worship that album, it's hard to be impartial about it. I can see why people would have thought it was heresy to remake a Genesis song.

• Good to see such positivity for BTL. A friend said that for her it summed them up. I get what she meant.

It makes a terrific album opener, especially coupled to Duchess. What a great double salvo to start. It's one of my favourite openers of theirs.

The ascending two-bar guitar line that occurs midway through part 1, then again after "...the will to keep me here" is one of my favourite Genesis moments. Echoing my friend, that little bit certainly sums up 1980 Genesis for me. It's so them.

It's right to mention the Face Value version. While I'm not too keen, as it's too light and skippy, I like that he did it and he was absolutely right to go for a very different take.

I can see why people would have thought it was heresy to remake a Genesis song.

Can you? I can't!

Abandon all reason

• I can see why people would have thought it was heresy to remake a Genesis song.

I didn't really have a problem with a Genesis song being remade. I didn't even really have a problem with Phil's arrangement of BTL. I think what annoyed me in the past was the way the lyrics were messed with. (I've also found it annoying when Phil has messed with the lyrics of Genesis songs performed live.)