TotW 01/01/2024 - 01/07/2024: MIKE + THE MECHANICS - Why Me?

• Official Post

Your rating for "Why Me?" by MIKE + THE MECHANICS 18

1. 15 points - outstanding (0) 0%
    2. 14 points - very good (1) 6%
    3. 13 points - very good - (1) 6%
    4. 12 points - good + (2) 11%
    5. 11 points - good (2) 11%
    6. 10 points - good - (5) 28%
    7. 09 points - satisfactory + (2) 11%
    8. 08 points - satisfactory (0) 0%
    9. 07 points - satisfactory - (1) 6%
    10. 06 points - sufficient + (0) 0%
    11. 05 points - sufficient (1) 6%
    12. 04 points - sufficient - (1) 6%
    13. 03 points - poor + (1) 6%
    14. 02 points - poor (1) 6%
    15. 01 points - poor - (0) 0%
    16. 00 points - abysmal (0) 0%

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread. If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

MIKE + THE MECHANICS - Why Me?

Year: 1988
    Album: Living Years
    Working title: ?
    Credits: Robertson/Rutherford
    Lyrics: Yes
    Length: 6:26
    Musicians: Mike Rutherford, Paul Carrack, Peter van Hooke
    Played live: 1989
    Cover versions:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Notes: Why Me? - it was the last song on the successful album Living Years and at the same time it became a Mechanic highlight for many, perhaps also because it has those anthemic traits that we know from some Genesis songs?.

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• I had a tongue-in-cheek go about this album on another thread and this song is a prime example of what I was on about. It could be the mystery ingredient in a deep pan four cheese pizza, it's so dripping with fromage. Guitars, umm, are there any?! Mountains of 80s keyboards under an avalanche of cliched lyrics. And why oh why would you have a soul singer fronting up this 'rock' track?

It's wrong on so many levels. Sorry Mr Rutherford, but I've never understood why someone capable of producing some incredibly strong material can really plunge the depths as well.

Mr Babbage says no.

Needless to add, IMHO of course. Each to their own, comme ci comme ca and all that.

• I have got this album somewhere, but it must have been a while since I listened to it as I only vaguely remember this. I quite enjoyed it, more than a lot of M&TM songs. It actually reminds me quite strongly of some of Tony's solo work. 10 points, some marks deducted for overall cheesiness