• Was a bit surprised we didn't have a Billy Joel thread.

I like what he did and I own quite a few of his albums ("Turnstiles" his the one I probably like the most).

So, this is good news:

Billy Joel to return with only his second new solo song since 1993
    Turn the Lights Back On will be released on 1 February, and is described as ‘ushering in the next chapter of his story’
    www.theguardian.com

Obviously there's more to be expected than just this one song?

some are wise ... and some otherwise

• That's amazing! I hope he'll do another album, I never understood why he stopped doing albums back then (although now I understand him better).

• I'd like to see him return to making music. I am a big fan and have seen him several times, including once with Elton John. My favourite albums by him are Storm Front and The Nylon Curtain but there are a couple which I am indifferent to the point of disliking - An Innocent Man and River Of Dreams.

• I enjoy songs across Billy Joel's career, but haven't been engaged by full studio albums, except perhaps The Stranger. I like a few songs from most albums. Miami 2017 is perhaps my favourite individual song, particularly the live version from Songs In the Attic. I saw him once live and really enjoyed it, perhaps because it was a selection of songs from many albums.

• I enjoy songs across Billy Joel's career, but haven't been engaged by full studio albums, except perhaps The Stranger. I like a few songs from most albums. Miami 2017 is perhaps my favourite individual song, particularly the live version from Songs In the Attic. I saw him once live and really enjoyed it, perhaps because it was a selection of songs from many albums.

Same here. Saw him once and it was a great show. I like Piano man, Leningrad and River of dreams, Burt then there are classics like My life, The ballad of Billy the Kid, Scenes from an Italian restaurant etc. I am sure there is a lot to discover beyond Greatest Hits. Any suggestions?

... any moment that we bring to life - ridiculous sublime

• Same here. Saw him once and it was a great show. I like Piano man, Leningrad and River of dreams, Burt then there are classics like My life, The ballad of Billy the Kid, Scenes from an Italian restaurant etc. I am sure there is a lot to discover beyond Greatest Hits. Any suggestions?

I do like „Turnstiles“ a lot. It’s a rather short and intimate album with a special atmosphere. And I also like „An Innocent Man“….

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• Same here. Saw him once and it was a great show. I like Piano man, Leningrad and River of dreams, Burt then there are classics like My life, The ballad of Billy the Kid, Scenes from an Italian restaurant etc. I am sure there is a lot to discover beyond Greatest Hits. Any suggestions?

Goodnight Saigon

Allentown

Baby Grand (duet with Ray Charles)

Say Goodbye To Hollywood

Big Shot

The Downeaster Alexa

I Go To Extremes

Zanzibar

There are so many!

I mentioned Storm Front & The Nylon Curtain & I would add Glass Houses & 52nd Street. The Bridge is good too, though the crtics didn't like it.

• Big fan here. I'm happy he's releasing something new, but cautious. Like many artists, I think he had a golden period, and his later material doesn't quite match up.

Having said that, his 5 album run - Turnstiles, The Stranger, 52nd Street, Glass Houses, Nylon Curtain is spectacular.

• Seems Billy is now on TicToc and German Rolling Stone reports a new album is likely. Hope he’ll announce soon …

cheers

Christian

• So, this is the new track

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I quite like it, but I have to get used to the production.

... any moment that we bring to life - ridiculous sublime

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I really like this track! It feels like he has never been away ... (well, he hasn't, but he didn#t release music)

thanks for sharing. Billy’s voice seems to be in top shape (but he has also been doing shows for years and years). Great track, hope there will be more ….

• This sounds like no time has passed since the classic 70s/80s Billy Joel era. His voice has hardly aged and the song is so much his signature style. Just the drums are strange, I would like a version of this song without these drums.

• This is the official video of the new track

A wonderful video ...

cheers

Christian

• This is the official video of the new track

A wonderful video ...

indeed really good! What a great song for a comeback. I hope an album will follow.

... make tomorrow today!

• Not sure if this is the right place, but Ray once did a cover version of "New York state of mind" (Billy Joel).

Here it is:

... good things come to those who wait