Genesis in the media

• any details? The interview is behind a paywall ...

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• Oh interesting, I accessed it without a paywall. There was nothing groundbreaking in the interview, Chester talked a bit about his new album, Frank Zappa's anti-drug stance, and a nice comment that he was glad Nic Collins got to play with his father (although Chester would have liked to have been involved in the reunion)

• I know this is not fresh stuff but I've decided to upload it.

Three years ago, on 28th and 29th January 2021, Spanish public broadcasting radio station RNE3 broadcast a two-part Phil Collins special, on the occasion of his 70th birthday.

I heard both episodes at the time, but I couldn't find the links until now.

Como Lo Oyes Phil Collins 70th Birthday Part 1: Face Value

Como Lo Oyes Phil Collins 70th Birthday Part 2: Collins in Black

The funny thing is that RNE3 follows the post-1994 Radio1 format, so it does not generally play Mr Collins X/, let alone dedicate a whole programme on him! So this piece is quite surprising. :huh: I remember the amazement of hearing him on that frequency. :love:

Part 1 (Face Value) is an anthological review of PC's career, whereas Part 2 (Collins in Black) deals with Phil's funky side.

The host summed up the cycle at the end of the last episode with the verbatim statement that PC deserved the best for 'being such a good person, a righteous and generous man...and he pays all his taxes' ;).

The host, Santiago Alcanda, turned out to be a huge fan of Phil Collins, having interviewed him several times. Mr Alcanda declared that he would talk about Phil Collins for hours, even asking to let him get the world record for most time single-topic speaking ^^ . Joking apart, he gave some quite juicy statements. He disclosed that after an interview Collins revealed Alcanda that he had been wronged by James Taylor in a serious way. Does anybody know anything about this story? Alcanda stated that the major setback done by JT on PC was so thorny that he could not tell about it on-air. :!:

I will give you in the next post the translations for each episode's introduction that appears on their websites.

PS: The playlist showing up on the website of the second episode is not the actual one featured in it.

• Below are the transcriptions for the intros for each episode of a special programme from a Spanish radio station on Phil Collins for his 70th birthday.

Phil Collins 70th Birthday 1. Face Value:

Phil Collins will turn 70 the-day-after-tomorrow. And this year marks the 40th anniversary of the release of Face Value, beyond his previous albums with Genesis and Brand X. We will be joined by Gonzalo Albert, publisher of Not Dead Yet, the autobiography by Collins, with whom the publisher got on very well while working the Spanish edition. Phil Collins, the five-year-old kid whom was given a drum kit, the young man who attended the Melody Maker-advertised audition for Genesis' new drummer, the drummer who sang as the replacement of Peter Gabriel, the singer who joined Brand X's Jazz-fusion, the solo artist who became pop star collaborated with Eric Clapton, the living Beatles, Stephen Bishop, John Martyn, Abba's Frida and Walt Disney productions.

Phil Collins 70th Birthday 2. Collins in Black:

Phil Collins will be 70 tomorrow. Yesterday we went over his career with his Spanish publisher Gonzalo Albert, from Genesis through Brand X to his stratospheric solo career. Today, Friday, we dig in the black music-influenced side of Collins' discography: his collaboration with EWF, his passion for Motown and 60s Soul. Besides, we get into some 'urban' covers of his hits by Brandy, Lil' Kim and Dane Bowers+Kelis. Oh! And the collaboration between Quincy Jones and Phil.

• Phil Collins 70th Birthday 2: Collins in Black's Actual Playlist:

Tracks 1-4 as stated on the website.

Track 5: Only Quincy Jones Feat. Phil Collins: Do Nothin' Till You Hear From Me (Vibraciones CD 2-2)

Track 6: As stated

Track 7: Phil Collins: Two Hearts (...Hits-5)

Track 8: Phil Collins: You Can’t Hurry Love (...Hits-4)

Track 9: Phil Collins: Ain't Too Proud To Beg (Going Back-5)

Track 10: Phil Collins: Papa Was A Rolling Stone (Going Back-9)

Track 11: Phil Collins: Dancing In The Street (Going Back-24)

Track 12: Phil Collins: (Love Is Like A) Heatwave (Going Back-2)

Track 13: Phil Collins+Paul Young: Medley: It's The Same Old Song/I Can't Help Myself/Reach Out I'll Be There (The Royal Concert CD2-11)

• I'm listening to this week's edition of "Casey Kasem's American Top 40: The '80s," featuring a countdown from the week ending February 6, 1982. "Abacab" was moving up the chart, and the album version was used (with a bit of an early fadeout).

What does anyone recall of hearing "Abacab" on the radio around the time it was a current single? The album version? The single edit (U.S. or U.K.)? A mix? FWIW, I know "American Top 40" would play different versions of songs over the years -- sometimes album versions, sometimes single/radio edits, sometimes switching partway through a song's chart run. And, sometimes, they would create their own edits (likely to cut down song lengths to fit everything into a 3- or 4-hour show).

• I have never heard Abacab on the radio but I noticed an inofficial edit of Land of Confusion I heard in the radio a few years ago. The entire mellow middle part plus the keyboard solo and the following third verse and chorus were cut out. The second chorus led right into the outro.

You just reminded me I completely forgot to mention this: in the days after Christmas I was visiting my dad and his wife; when we were having breakfast my step-mom had the radio playing, it was an internet radio station I wasn't familiar with ("Schwarzwaldradio") which caught my attention because they played those kinds of hits from the 60s to the 2000s that all other mainstream radio stations ignore. Right in the middle of some 70s/80s songs, lo and behold, a Genesis song came up. Guess which one? It was Calling All Stations. First time I ever heard that one on the radio.

• I never heard "Abacab" on the radio either. The ABACAB song I heard the most back in the day was, oddly enough, "Like It Or Not" -- one of the tracks that wasn't even a single. To this day I think the only other ABACAB song I've heard on the radio has been "No Reply At All." (I should mention that I haven't listened to radio regularly since 1984, and only hear it if someone else is playing it within earshot.)

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• I remember Abacab single edit played on national radio here in Britain at the time of its release, but never since.

I rarely hear Genesis on the radio here. Occasionally various hit singles will feature on nostalgia 'greatest hits' type stations - IT, FYFM, LoC or TIOA. BBC 6 Music occasionally plays album tracks, most often Guy Garvey of Elbow who has a very good Sunday afternoon show. As mentioned earlier in this thread he's known for quite often playing the Seconds Out version of Carpet Crawlers, in fact he's so devoted to it he refers to it as 'Carpet Crawl' as per the original cover. But he's also played Entangled and Ripples. Other presenters on the same channel have played DWTMK and FoF.

Abandon all reason

• I remember Abacab single edit played on national radio here in Britain at the time of its release, but never since.

I rarely hear Genesis on the radio here. Occasionally various hit singles will feature on nostalgia 'greatest hits' type stations - IT, FYFM, LoC or TIOA. BBC 6 Music occasionally plays album tracks, most often Guy Garvey of Elbow who has a very good Sunday afternoon show. As mentioned earlier in this thread he's known for quite often playing the Seconds Out version of Carpet Crawlers, in fact he's so devoted to it he refers to it as 'Carpet Crawl' as per the original cover. But he's also played Entangled and Ripples. Other presenters on the same channel have played DWTMK and FoF.

Abacab still gets regular airplay on classic rock-oriented US and Canadian radio stations.

• Other presenters on the same channel have played DWTMK and FoF.

Lucky you! That would be a dream come true.

At least we have a station here (SWR 1) that plays classic rock bands' longtracks in an evening show. They played Supper's Ready in full length.

I am not either a regular radio listener, I hear radio mostly in other people's cars or homes. No surprises when it comes to Genesis songs: Follow You Follow Me, Land of Confusion, actually I can hardly recall any other Genesis song coming up more than once except these two. For Peter Gabriel it's Solsbury Hill or Sledgehammer, other Gabriel songs don't exist; Phil Collins gets still most airplay of all Genesis men. I can't even count how many times I've heard Another Day in Paradise. For Mike & The Mechanics it's Another Cup of Coffee or Over My Shoulder, sometimes Word of Mouth.

• I never heard "Abacab" on the radio either.

I DID hear 'Abacab' on radio once. It was in Spain (an unlikely country), on 19th May 2022 (I can confirm it was on that day because I heard it in the car coming home from the screening of a limited released film and I have checked the date). I remember it was the album version and it was on Kiss FM. Despite the station's name, its English equivalent is Smooth Radio. By the way, the most-played Genesis song on radio in Spain is 'Jesus, He Knows Me' by far.

• Well, I DID hear Abacab on radio. I was intrigued by it. Given the effect In The Air Tonight & Face Value had on me earlier in the year, why didn't I rush out & buy the album? I still wasn't quite ready, it seems.

• ...BBC 6 Music occasionally plays album tracks, most often Guy Garvey of Elbow who has a very good Sunday afternoon show. As mentioned earlier in this thread he's known for quite often playing the Seconds Out version of Carpet Crawlers, in fact he's so devoted to it he refers to it as 'Carpet Crawl' as per the original cover.

<Pedant Alert> The original UK Lamb vinyl names the track in the singular on its sleeve. It has been named inconsistently throughout its life. (Contrary to the "suggestion" often proposed that its in the singular on Seconds Out owing to Collins dropping the opening verse.)

• <Pedant Alert> The original UK Lamb vinyl names the track in the singular on its sleeve. It has been named inconsistently throughout its life. (Contrary to the "suggestion" often proposed that its in the singular on Seconds Out owing to Collins dropping the opening verse.)

That's not especially pedantic, in fact thanks for reminding me about the original Lamb pressing. My brother had that pressing and your note has triggered my memory of seeing it in that title form. But I remember it as (per the Seconds Out listing) Crawl - did you mean 'singular' as in The Carpet Crawler? Or is that me now being pedantic?!

When you say Collins dropped the opening verse, do you literally mean he brought about that idea? I recall Banks saying they decided to go from "...cover the floor" as they thought the opening section felt too separate and the live rendition was more satisfyingly consistent without it. He made it seem like a group decision but it's interesting to suggest it originated with PC.

I heard a recording of PC trying out the song in its entirety including the opening section, possibly ahead of a tour. It might've been a link posted on the previous board. It sounded a bit rickety, like he was struggling with those opening verses, which might've been a reason he steered them to dropping that bit.

Abandon all reason

• That's not especially pedantic, in fact thanks for reminding me about the original Lamb pressing. My brother had that pressing and your note has triggered my memory of seeing it in that title form. But I remember it as (per the Seconds Out listing) Crawl - did you mean 'singular' as in The Carpet Crawler? Or is that me now being pedantic?!

When you say Collins dropped the opening verse, do you literally mean he brought about that idea? I recall Banks saying they decided to go from "...cover the floor" as they thought the opening section felt too separate and the live rendition was more satisfyingly consistent without it. He made it seem like a group decision but it's interesting to suggest it originated with PC.

I heard a recording of PC trying out the song in its entirety including the opening section, possibly ahead of a tour. It might've been a link posted on the previous board. It sounded a bit rickety, like he was struggling with those opening verses, which might've been a reason he steered them to dropping that bit.

Apologies for being unclear on a couple of points. I meant "singular" simply as a single "crawl" as opposed to multiple crawlers. And I referred to Collins dropping the verse as a shorthand most would understand and normally refer to: I have no doubt it was a group decision. And the full version with Collins singing was included in a Capital Radio interview with Nicky Horne.