[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• I agree. That one raised my eyebrows. Neither known amongst the masses nor the top of the heap of classics worthy of resurrection (at least IMHO).

I'm surprised too, but very pleasantly so. It's always been a favourite of mine and I'm guessing I won't be alone in that even though it seems to me that most fans who know it are at best lukewarm about it. For me, on its parent album it shines out.

But like any band worth their salt they won't, and shouldn't, choose their set based on what some fans' notion of "classics" are. They'll include enough to keep the broader fan base happy and good on them for leaving some space for dusting off less-expected ones.

Abandon all reason

• I think Phil has expressed having problems with the lyrics in the past, but I think (unlike many guys his age) he's getting a lot more mellow about some things that used to bother him more.

I also think that's a song he could sing pretty easily, and it's what, 3 minutes long?

Seems like an easy win for everyone to me. We get an unplayed song, Tony gets a song he likes, Phil has a song that should be easy to perform.

• Official Post

I don't see a reason for not throwing in 3-4 less knows tracks - or deep cuts. It won't ruin th set for the mainstream audience, but it's a nice treat for all long-time fans.

• I'm surprised too, but very pleasantly so. It's always been a favourite of mine and I'm guessing I won't be alone in that even though it seems to me that most fans who know it are at best lukewarm about it. For me, on its parent album it shines out.

But like any band worth their salt they won't, and shouldn't, choose their set based on what some fans' notion of "classics" are. They'll include enough to keep the broader fan base happy and good on them for leaving some space for dusting off less-expected ones.

If we are talking of

it's the best track on the album.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

Edited once, last by foxfeeder ().

• I think they've all been linked to rehearsals in on way or another, how legitimately I don't know. Except for the 4th one you mention, which I've always liked a lot and would be happy to see them do.

Abandon all reason

• We might be... I was trying to keep in the spirit of the spoiler tags used in the earlier post! Next to the opening track on, er, that album, I agree it's by far the best track. It seems to be quite a divisive one though.

OK, I've edited my post too to spoil it, though I do have to wonder, how many people do not click the spoiler box? Frankly, most of this speculation is probably as accurate as

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• I think Phil has expressed having problems with the lyrics in the past, but I think (unlike many guys his age) he's getting a lot more mellow about some things that used to bother him more.

I also think that's a song he could sing pretty easily, and it's what, 3 minutes long?

Seems like an easy win for everyone to me. We get an unplayed song, Tony gets a song he likes, Phil has a song that should be easy to perform.

Phil only had an issue with one word in the song, which Tony persuaded him by saying that the word featured a lot in the songs of Led Zeppelin, of whom Phil has always been a big fan.

I wouldn't kid yourself that the length of the song makes it any easier to sing. That chorus would be a real struggle, I imagine.

• Phil at the first concert of the 2020 tour:

“Well, tonight we’re going to play quite a lot of really old songs. [pause for cheering] And yes, most definitely some really, really old songs too. [pause for intense cheering] In fact, we may also play some new songs. [pause for confusion] Yeah, really, here’s a tune we wrote during rehearsals earlier this year.”

• Official Post

Phil at the first concert of the 2020 tour:

“Well, tonight we’re going to play quite a lot of really old songs. [pause for cheering] And yes, most definitely some really, really old songs too. [pause for intense cheering] In fact, we may also play some new songs. [pause for confusion] Yeah, really, here’s a tune we wrote during rehearsals earlier this year.”

I don't think that's going to happen ...

• Phil at the first concert of the 2020 tour:

It's kind of sad that they are all really old songs now.

• I completely understand why they won't record a whole new album. But if they feel like it they could write one or two songs and play them on this tour. That would be the easy way for them to be a bit creative and test the waters, so to say. But sadly I don't think it will happen.

• It is quite sobering to think that even No Son Of Mine is older than the stuff in the Old Medley was on the WCD tour when Phil referred to them as "really, really old songs". Heck....Calling All Stations is older!

Regarding Phil disliking some old lyrics, is there any truth to the story that he won't sing Firth Of Fifth because he thinks "undinal" is a made up word? If so, he needs to consult a good dictionary :)

Interesting list of songs purportedly rehearsed. A nice selection even if there are some changes I'd personally make. The fact is they're not going on stage personally for me.

• Regarding Phil disliking some old lyrics, is there any truth to the story that he won't sing Firth Of Fifth because he thinks "undinal" is a made up word? If so, he needs to consult a good dictionary

I haven't ever read that but do recall him complaining about Banks not thinking about how hard some words in his lyrics were to sing, such as undinal, bread-bin, nylon sheets and blankets and double glazing.

Abandon all reason

• I've heard about that many times, even Mike says something like that in his book, still it makes me wonder what exactly is so hard about these words. None of them is a tongue twister. Maybe the mere fact those are rather unusual words in a regular pop song makes them "hard".

• I've heard about that many times, even Mike says something like that in his book, still it makes me wonder what exactly is so hard about these words. None of them is a tongue twister. Maybe the mere fact those are rather unusual words in a regular pop song makes them "hard".

Even words that wouldn't usually be considered as tongue twisters can be difficult to get your mouth around when singing. It's partly about scansion, tempo, the combination with words surrounding the 'problem' one... Also, you have to sing with conviction and invest some emotion in the words. I can see how the highlighted ones could be tricky in that sense. In Domino, a picture/feeling of tension and impending doom is being built up, your singing has to convey that.... In the midst of which you have to convincingly emote "SHEETS OF DOUBLE GLAZING"!

Abandon all reason