[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• I'm completely out of touch with the charts and I assume it'll largely be stuff of no interest to me. But there are plenty of very good acts around who don't find their way into the chart. Most of my current music listening is stuff new to me by current acts and which I like very much.

Totally agree with this. There is great music around if you are willing to do a little digging.

And also, it's a fan forum for a band touring later this year. Of course there's going to be a 'setlist' thread filled with hopes, gripes and banter. And a lot of inane fantasy (I'm sure I've contributed my share!). It's all part of the fun.

• Maybe I'm alone, but I find mature adults endlessly daydreaming a bit weird, childish.

Having said that, I did briefly get involved in a 2006 thread of a similar nature, and several of my suggestions on refreshing the setlist and staging happened, probably coincidence, but you never know who's watching. As of now, the setlist has been more or less set in stone, so there is no point indulging in fantasy.

I sometimes find new acts of interest on Later, it's gone woke of late and lost it's variety, the last episode was 45 mins of hip hop, awful. One good drummer, that's about it.

You're mis-characterising the thread. It's not endless daydreaming and of course everyone here knows the set is almost certainly largely decided now, the thread is mostly essentially "I wonder what's on it" with a bit of knowingly pie-in-the-sky indulgence. That's not childish, it's just fans being excited about the tour.

I don't watch Later much but what I've seen doesn't suggest it's "gone woke". Most of my new music tips come from various of the shows on 6Music.

Abandon all reason

• Everything on the bbc has gone woke, it's pretty blatant, they even had a dig at Trump on the PC programme.

Oh well you've convinced me. Blimey. A dig at Trump, you say?* Yes, I see it all now. The entire BBC, every single atom of its whole output, 100% saturated wokeness, through and through.

Now you mention it, I heard the weather forecast on 6Music the other day and thought "that weather was unacceptably woke." I can't really say exactly how but it probably was. I don't know, the announcer might've been black or something, maybe mentioned a rainbow which sounds a bit gay if you ask me. No question, the BBC did a great big woke at me.

But anyway, back on topic and returning to the ENDLESS childish daydreaming - hey kids, wouldn't it be great if they did The Grand Parade Of Lifeless Packaging? Maybe they'll read this and it'll cause them to put it in! 👍👍👍

*(EDIT: in case anyone's concerned about the horrendous outburst of anti-Trump wokeness in the Phil Collins At The BBC programme, having just watched it I can inform you that during the TOTP clip of In The Air, among the on-screen info captions was "Phil issued President Trump a cease & desist notice to stop him playing In The Air Tonight at his rallies". There's a helpline for anyone affected by this news.)

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• Everything on the bbc has gone woke, it's pretty blatant, they even had a dig at Trump on the PC programme.

😲 Call the church elders! Form a protective ring around the former president, he was robbed anyway, he'll be reinstated later this afternoon!!

26 pages of daydreaming is pretty endless.

No it's not, it ends at page 26.

I used to get excited about Christmas, then I grew up.

Could it be, perhaps, that his heart was three sizes too small?

• Ok, a thread like this for a band like Genesis I expect will have highly inflamed diversions like the page above. To be honest, I'm surprised it's not worse.

OT: my topmost wish for the tour is that they play different songs each night, so they cover more of their vast, rich catalogue over the course of the tour. I accept this is very unlikely. If I was going to daydream (edit: for the show I'm going to attend), I could imagine them opening with Eleventh Earl of Mar for the first time on the tour, filling their rotating B side slot with Feeding the Fire, and using the 'unfinished business' section - a new innovation in between the Old Medley and Turn It On Again where they spend twenty minutes playing some songs they never played on prior tours - for playing Seven Stones (for the third time this tour) and Anything She Does (for the fourth time this tour). And then the random audience shout, where they play a track generated from an audience poll on the night, would be Chamber of 32 Doors. These elements, like celestial bodies, orbit the sun of setlist staples (Domino, Home By The Sea, Mama, IT etc) and everyone has a ball.

Aaaaaahhhh that felt good.

• I'd say the intro song would be Dance On A Volcano. It's got a mesmerizing riff & powerful chords. Phil's vocals aren't gonna be too difficult to do live.

Obviously Domino is gonna be included somewhere on the setlist, given the tour is named after the 2nd part. Turn It On Again & Abacab will also be obvious in inclusions.

Given Phil's state I think that most of the stuff involving his drums aren't going to be included (I'll miss Duke's Travels...) but hearing that they rehearsed Los Endos is surprising. I hear some percussion on the original track so Phil might do that instead of drums. Many Too Many, I've heard rumors, I don't know for sure. You'd have to show me evidence to prove it to me. Follow You Follow Me will be included since it's a mainstay.

• Dance On a Volcano would be a cool opener. I can't remember if it was one of the ones mentioned on previous posts about songs practiced or considered.

In response to the post a ways back about whining and digs at the band (since I was probably one of those posters being referred to), I think it is possible to both be a Genesis fan (I bought tickets for this tour) and also muse about how age-related limitations will potentially impact the setlist and performance about the songs. If I want to only experience Genesis at the peak of their live capabilities, I can obviously go back and re-watch or re-listen to many performances in their career. However I am still happy to see what they can deliver now and also expect it will be a bit different than performances of yore.

• In response to the post a ways back about whining and digs at the band (since I was probably one of those posters being referred to), I think it is possible to both be a Genesis fan (I bought tickets for this tour) and also muse about how age-related limitations will potentially impact the setlist and performance about the songs. If I want to only experience Genesis at the peak of their live capabilities, I can obviously go back and re-watch or re-listen to many performances in their career. However I am still happy to see what they can deliver now and also expect it will be a bit different than performances of yore.

Sensible point of view As for that post, I thought about replying, as I was certainly the main target but when I read stuff like ''so 'called fans'', I really can't be bothered to turn it into a boring pissing contest.

• Surely one of the points of joining a forum is to chew the fat over Genesis nonsense that others would be baffled by. Like when football fans sit in the pub and pontificate for hours about things they have no control over. The bizarre views and controversial arguments are what it’s all about, or am I missing something?

• Official Post

Surely one of the points of joining a forum is to chew the fat over Genesis nonsense that others would be baffled by. Like when football fans sit in the pub and pontificate for hours about things they have no control over. The bizarre views and controversial arguments are what it’s all about, or am I missing something?

Spot on. It’s also satisfies the craving of having someone to talk with about Genesis or Genesis related music. None of my friends or family love the band as much as I, so without this forum, all my Genesis related thoughts would just be bouncing around in my head!

• I'm kind of addicted to fantasy set lists, so here's my go at it:

23 songs is a bit unrealistic, but given what I've read has been rehearsed and what has supposedly been pushed, I think some of these have a shot. I do realize stuff like "Counting Out Time" and perhaps even "Squonk" are absolute long shots, but hey, a man can dream.

My main concern, as it was with everyone, is Phil. His mobility issues aside, his voice is my main point of worry. He sings these days like he has a kazoo in his throat if he ventures even slightly out of his mid-range, and I don't see him having the breath support or stamina to sing the more fast paced portions of "Home by the Sea" and "In The Cage" - especially if he's seated for them - even though I think those and other demanding songs will ultimately be there just because they're so part of their live show DNA. Phil can get away with his limited abilities in his solo shows but Genesis have always been about their intensity and musical showmanship for me, and something's going to be missing with Phil not being able to partake in at least one aspect of that.

Much as I love it, I don't see how "Mama" is going to be pulled off without lowering it to the point where it loses all its intensity and drive. It was good in 2007 when Phil could still move around and project properly as his voice was still rich enough to use his lower register to his advantage, but now I don't see him having those capabilities.