[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• Ok, maybe with Behind The Lines in between...e.g. a bit like 1982 shows...but instead of segueing into Follow You Follow Me, go into Abacab.

That would be quite cool. It actually might work better than the transition from BTL into FYFM back in 1982. That one just kinda comes to a dead stop for a couple of moments at the end of BTL until Phil starts a tambourine intro to FYFM.

• Well I think that an instrumental Behind The Lines would be performed, and then into Abacab. I doubt the former is gonna have vocals since the song is demanding of Phil. I’d be fine with whatever we got for that track. I think they might do the Behind The Lines / Duke’s End thing again tho.

• Cinema Show starting at the second half will be the opening song. Prove me wrong Genesis, I dare you.

I doubt there will be halves. Two hours straight, possibly with the band leaving the stage and returning for an encore.

And they won't ever play the entire Cinema Show again. Mike has "forgotten" the unusual guitar tuning of the opening lines and has declined to re-learn them since 1983.

• I doubt there will be halves. Two hours straight, possibly with the band leaving the stage and returning for an encore.

And they won't ever play the entire Cinema Show again. Mike has "forgotten" the unusual guitar tuning of the opening lines and has declined to re-learn them since 1983.

The documentary that chronicled the prep for the 2007 tour shows the band at least considering Cinema Show in its entirety. Tony in particular seemed excited by the prospect. Problem was (or at least what was captured in the documentary) that Phil couldn’t hit the high notes (e.g. “Can she be late for her Cinema Show . . . Cinema Show”).

• I too am holding out hope for hearing the first half of Cinema Show. With a key change and/or the backing vocalists handling those high harmonies I think it's a great new old song to bring back.

I know Mike forgot/hasn't been motivated to figure out the 12-string tunings but I can't believe Daryl couldn't do it if asked. It isn't the formula for Coca Cola we're talking about, and quite a few tribute bands have seemed to figure it out just fine...

• I doubt there will be halves. Two hours straight, possibly with the band leaving the stage and returning for an encore.

I meant the second half of Cinema Show (musical section) not the actual show... My wording was a bit strange.

• Ah, they'll play The Lamb in its entirety and include bits of stuff like Illegal Alien and Who Dunnit in the middle of it as they see fit!

:D

Halfway through the majestic chords of Hairless Heart - "WE KNOW, WE KNOW, WE KNOW, WE KNOW, WE ALL KNOW YEAH, YEAH WE KNOW..."

• This question may have been raised before (if so I apologize), but I’m curious where others stand on learning about the setlist prior to seeing a concert. I actively searched out articles on the 2007 setlist prior to seeing Genesis that fall in Washington, DC. It didn’t ruin the show for me but obviously did remove the element of surprise. This time around I think I’m gonna try to “keep it dark” (or more correctly I suppose keep myself in the dark) as to the setlist. Just curious how others plan to approach it.

• This question may have been raised before (if so I apologize), but I’m curious where others stand on learning about the setlist prior to seeing a concert. I actively searched out articles on the 2007 setlist prior to seeing Genesis that fall in Washington, DC. It didn’t ruin the show for me but obviously did remove the element of surprise. This time around I think I’m gonna try to “keep it dark” (or more correctly I suppose keep myself in the dark) as to the setlist. Just curious how others plan to approach it.

I think this has come up a few times here - I'm in line with a few others who've said they're avoiding setlist spoilers. In the immediate run-up to the tour I'm treating the board as a biohazard zone. My first of 3 shows is Glasgow 1. It's a special one - first time seeing one of my absolute favourite bands in over 14 years, top VIP package with front seat, gourmet meal, goodies bag etc and I want to properly 'discover' it. So I'll be throwing a cloak of invisibility over the entire forum. I know there'll likely be specific setlist spoilers threads - well, there bloody better be - but I don't trust myself to not somehow blunder into one. Or for one to spring a leak into other threads. And I'm assuming some loudmouth or other will somehow get hold of the setlist ahead of the tour starting and shout about it here. Therefore the whole board will be blocked by a dimensional shift barrier.

Abandon all reason

• I'm less concerned about setlist spoilers. I am more interested in how the songs will be performed this time around, anticipating some modifications and changes.

While there is definitely an adrenaline rush with being surprised as I recognize a song I was not expecting, there are also pleasures from anticipating a song I know will be performed and being able to fully pay attention to how they bring it across this time.

• I didn't mind knowing the setlist prior to going to my first show in 2007. I bought one of the Encore discs from the European leg so I could hear the show in the lead up to seeing them for myself.

I understand the reasoning behind wanting the concert to have some surprises, but where Genesis is concerned I'm way too much of a newshound to even try to avoid spoilers.

• I kinda don’t want to know if the setlist is full of the shorter, poppier stuff with less of a nod to older material than in 2007, when at least they padded the usual In the Cage medley with Duke’s Travels, plus we got Ripples, FOF/IKWIL, Carpet Crawlers, and Mama (I know Mama isn’t “old” by Genesis standards but it was still great that they played it).. I’m assuming Behind the Lines will be played this time around since it’s the song used in the tour promo, and my brother and I (who rarely agree on anything) both thought that one of the images in an early tour promo reminded us of Squonk. But all of that is guessing. I’m hoping to be surprised by the inclusion of some older stuff that hasn’t been played for a while. If it leans more heavily than I’d like toward the pop stuff I’ll still enjoy the show but my not knowing in advance at least I won’t show up for the show feeling a bit bummed out before the first note is played.

• On the one hand, I want to be surprised should I get tickets.

On the other hand, I'll probably download a boot beforehand to hear if the show is good enough to justify paying the insanely high prices. Thank God I worked towards a bonus to see them and Dead & Company this year.

• I didn't mind knowing the setlist prior to going to my first show in 2007. I bought one of the Encore discs from the European leg so I could hear the show in the lead up to seeing them for myself.

I understand the reasoning behind wanting the concert to have some surprises, but where Genesis is concerned I'm way too much of a newshound to even try to avoid spoilers.

Same here. In fact I wanted to see several shows again but with the prices of the tix in 07, if it was going to be MTV days Genesis, I would only do one.

I was pleasantly surprised to see a great range in their 07 set list, and getting plenty of old classics, I had no problem forking over some dough for a few shows. In fact, I regretted not doing more than the four I did.

This time around, the same holds true. I’m definitely doing one show but if the set list covers all the eras again, I’m planning on doing at least two and probably three shows.

• It you watch their tour ad they give you some hints there.

ABACAB and Domino for sure. I would love to hear Heat Haze and Duke's Travels and Duke's End from Duke.

Anything accept for Whodunit would be great. How about , Paper Late? They did , Inside And Out , on their last Tour. If I had my wish , side 1 of The Lamb.

Edited once, last by argos ().

• I’m sitting here trying to figure out how much “gap time” the band will have available given the fact that a) Rutherford has said the aim is for a 2 hour setlist, and b) the band sees certain songs as falling into the “must play” category. In that category I identified the following songs: Land of Confusion; No Son of Mine; TTT circa 2007/Invisible Touch (assuming Phil’s voice can handle the vocals in TTT); Throwing it All Away; Follow You, Follow Me; Domino I and II; HBTS/SHBTS; Carpet Crawlers (it’s fairly easy on Phil’s voice and he loves that song); I Can’t Dance ; Los Endos (I’m praying it’s in the set but they’ve never played it on stage with just one drummer). If you throw song intros and banter in as close as I can figure that leaves 40-45 minutes or so for other material. Based on the promo vids and other sources it seems that Behind the Lines and perhaps Squonk may be in the offing. Abacab has been suggested as well (I guess based on some comments made by Nic Collins, though doing the instrumental outro with a single drummer would potentially rob the song of much of its power live). Assuming those were all played in their entirety (a big assumption I know) that would leave about 20 minutes or so. If we subtract time for the break between the main setlist and the encore(s) that would seem to leave 15-16 minutes. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a) whether this list as I’ve given seems likely and if not where I may be off base; and b) what might fill that 15-16 minute gap.