20, 21, 22 September | Genesis live in BIRMINGHAM | reports **SPOILERS**

• Official Post

Thanks for the write up. I'll be seeing them twice in Chicago.

During the 07 tour, there was a German guy who went to every European show and had front row. He was known by everybody. We hung out with him in Berne and Linz. Cool dude. I forgot his name, but did you see him there for these shows?

That indeed was Uli. He provided the info for our little report about the first show (see news section)

He saw plants of shows in Europe in 2007 and also North America.

But in Frankfurt, he was not spotted in the first row, simply because the gate he was waiting at was opened several minutes late.
    But maybe UK76 - you want to tell the story yourself?

• I could never bring myself to mock them, I love them and respect them too much but none of the things this guy said are incorrect or false, up to everyone to decide how to react to what is an objective state of the situation. There will be , in my view justified criticisms, just don't mind them.

See, I was on board and agreed up until this final comment, I don't believe not attending is having unrealistic expectations, if fact what could be more realistic than not attending because they are no longer able to deliver? Different fans simply have a different take on what's going on and it's quite Ok.

I'd be surprise to know the band are reading or even caring about the reviews, I really don't picture them browsing the internet with anxiety the next day. THEY KNOW, what their current level is.

What I really think it's important is the Gents are having a good time and so are the people going to the gigs. The rest doesn't really matter.

Hi Fabrizio. I think my last point really referred to the umpteenth comments that I've seen all over the internet to the effect that they don't sound like 1977 or 1980 or 1981, etc. Nope, and they won't. But as you say, and I agree, everyone is free to attend or not based on what they view as ok for them or not. As far as the band goes, I would be surprised if they read any reviews from fans.

• Hi Fabrizio. I think my last point really referred to the umpteenth comments that I've seen all over the internet to the effect that they don't sound like 1977 or 1980 or 1981, etc. Nope, and they won't. But as you say, and I agree, everyone is free to attend or not based on what they view as ok for them or not. As far as the band goes, I would be surprised if they read any reviews

I appreciate that but it's a two way street, fans who for whatever reason and trust me there are a few don't like the idea of this tour and I'm certainly in that camp, read and saw umpteenth comments over how great this is going to be and I don't remember those comments ever irking me. I have quite draconian views about this tour, even more so after the first sound bites but I see no reason to rain on anyone's parade, I do, however, reserve the right to discuss the music and the performance.

As for the bad reviews, again I didn't think the guy in the video said anything false or incorrect, I trust there would have been bad reviews even if they had been at the top of their game, we are talking about Genesis after all. They knew they were going to expose themselves to that, particularly given the shape they are in. They are right not to care, fans shouldn't either IMO.

• I appreciate that but it's a two way street, fans who for whatever reason and trust me there are a few don't like the idea of this tour and I'm certainly in that camp, read and saw umpteenth comments over how great this is going to be and I don't remember those comments ever irking me. I have quite draconian views about this tour, even more so after the first sound bites but I see no reason to rain on anyone's parade, I do, however, reserve the right to discuss the music and the performance.

As for the bad reviews, again I didn't think the guy in the video said anything false or incorrect, I trust there would have been bad reviews even if they had been at the top of their game, we are talking about Genesis after all. They knew they were going to expose themselves to that, particularly given the shape they are in. They are right not to care, fans shouldn't either IMO.

I don't think we're in disagreement Fabrizio. It's a free world (well, a good chunk of it anyway) so we can all make our decision to go or not go, or express whatever opinions we might have (I'm always respectful of any and all opinions - yes, even on the internet, the land of so many arseholes). As far as draconian, I go back to March '77 in terms of Genesis Shows so believe me, it's also jarring for me to see some of these videos. But I"m viewing this as a final opportunity to say goodbye to a band that I've loved for 45+ years. It's Friday, it's been a longggggg week and my brain is fried lol. Have a good weekend.

• Official Post

Cant see an image - but if you refer to the little Bus problem… see Manchester thread ;)John Giddings posted that photo

• Official Post

That indeed was Uli. He provided the info for our little report about the first show (see news section)

He saw plants of shows in Europe in 2007 and also North America.

But in Frankfurt, he was not spotted in the first row, simply because the gate he was waiting at was opened several minutes late.
    But maybe UK76 - you want to tell the story yourself?

Yes, sure! It seems to be in fact me. ;)  Methos, maybe you can send me a PN because right now I have no idea who you actually are?

2007: I saw a LOT of concerts. Most of Europe plus one trip to the US East Coast and another a few weeks later to the West Coast. I travelled to the shows in Helsinki, Herning, Hamburg, Berne, Hannover, Brussels, Düsseldorf, Berlin, Frankfurt, Paris, Manchester, Twickenham, Munich, Lyon, Rome, Hartford, Philadelphia, Sacramento, San Jose and Los Angeles. Linz was one of the shows (as well as e. g. Stuttgart, Amsterdam, Prague, Chorzow), I didn't see for different reasons. It was the summer and fall of my life!

So now for this tour my main goal was to see the very first concert. Dublin was fully booked and I was ready to go but unfortunately the shows were cancelled. So I opted for Birmingham, just the first night due to family and covid reasons (mainly avoiding any risk of a quarantine). Back in 2007, I didn't have a wife and family. That has completely changed over the last 10 years. I now have a lovely family with three wonderful kids. So going out on an expensive trip for several weeks. No way! Everything has its time. 14 years ago it was a time for concerts and doing what I've always dreamed to do. Now it's family time and I'm completely fine with that.

The opening night last Monday was my only Genesis concert this year. In case the band decides to continue the tour in 2022 and come to Germany or The Netherlands, I would surely do one or two more shows. Over PC's FFF Tour and G's TIOA Tour between 2004 and 2007 I travelled the world and met uncounted wonderful fellow fans. I had the time of my life. And the reward is to nowadays meet some of these people every once in a while, preferably on Genesis or PC gigs. Last Monday I had the pleasure to hook up with other fans from Germany, France, the US and the UK.

Oh, and for the front row thing: yes, that somehow eveloped out of the blue. Some people love to be half way back to have the best sound and see the whole production properly. I always like to have the closest possible "contact" to the band. So I've spent uncounted hours queueing in front of halls and stadiums everywhere. It's a matter of tactics and luck. Both worked out great on the TIOA Tour. The only shows I didn't see up front were the fully seated gigs in the UK and US and (as Christian mentioned) Frankfurt. I even ended up in front row centerstage right in front of Phil's mic in Rome! Half a million people behind me. That was a undescribable feeling.

I can tell a lot of stories from all these concerts and memories are still very present. Anyone who knows me feel free to contact me to have a chat. It would be my pleasure! :)

• As far as draconian, I go back to March '77 in terms of Genesis Shows so believe me, it's also jarring for me to see some of these videos. But I"m viewing this as a final opportunity to say goodbye to a band that I've loved for 45+ years.

I feel your pain and even if I don't share your sentiment, I certainly support it. We are not in disagreement Have a good one.

• My wife and I met you and talked to you before the Berene show. We were the Americans with a bunch of British fans with us. Doubt you remember though as you have met so many people.

Good to see you still love Genesis.

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Genesis Birmingham, England 21st Sep 2021

I am listening to skips the concert and even if the songs are slowed down, often sung badly, there is something that excites me and I think I definitely share it with this Forum.

I read that at the 1982 Milton Keynes Reunion, in a concert not played at its best, and under a real downpour, the 60,000 spectators were enthusiastic, and the legendary manager Stratton Smith said: "Only a Genesis audience can make a Pakamac look like a kaftan"! :thumbup:

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• External Content www.youtube.com